Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/31/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Daisy-chaining reactors

Hello, all. Just need a sanity check.

I am planning to add two PhosBan reactors to my reef tank, one with PhosBan media and one with activated carbon. It was my intent to daisy-chain these together (output of one goes into the input of the other, and then back into the sump) using a single QuietOne pump.

Anyone else done this?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 12/31/2007, 03:56 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Carbon in the first one, phosban in the second. Using an MJ400.

Old 12/31/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Cool, thanks much.

Looks like you've got that valve open pretty much all the way -- I might have a spare MJ400 lying around, I can just use that... Hmmm...

Did you buy the extra "plumbing kit" that they say is for attaching to the side of a sump?

Dan
Old 12/31/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddrtrex
Carbon in the first one, phosban in the second. Using an MJ400.

Thats how i have mine, cept i didnt use a little piece of hose between the two, just connected the elbows straight with the double ended nipple thing. Using a maxi jet 400 as well, i cannot get the phos media to move much, using phospure by drf&s. Not using any of the included ball valves seemed to help, cause once it goes through the carbon media, seems like not enough flow to get the media moving in the 2nd reactor.

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 12/31/2007, 04:52 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

I use a pump that puts out about 250gph and have it running into a reactor with GFO then to a reactor packed with carbon.

I only set it up in that order so I could blast the GFO and if any particulates got out, they would have to make it through the carbon before getting out into the sump.

From the output of the reactor with carbon I have that flowing into a filter sock that my overflow goes through, again preventing GFO or carbon from making it into the tank.... I hope.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

OK, so the QuietOne 1200 might be a better idea, then I can use the ball valve to limit the flow if necessary.

One more thing -- how do you attach a MJ400 to 1/2" tubing?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 12/31/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

the output on the mj fits perfectly with the 1/2" tubing

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 12/31/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Uh, right. Just tried it. Duh...

Dan
Old 12/31/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

That is how i have mine hooked up!
Old 12/31/2007, 08:40 PM
Zoanthid collector

Anyone know what the GPH should be used through the reactors?
Old 12/31/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elzool
I use a pump that puts out about 250gph and have it running into a reactor with GFO then to a reactor packed with carbon.

I only set it up in that order so I could blast the GFO and if any particulates got out, they would have to make it through the carbon before getting out into the sump.

From the output of the reactor with carbon I have that flowing into a filter sock that my overflow goes through, again preventing GFO or carbon from making it into the tank.... I hope.
If you blast GFO with high flow, it will pulverize itself and end up in your tank as fine powdery dust particles. This will cause problems for your corals. GFO should be very low flow, and barly tumble at the top of the media.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:01 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

Mine isn't being pulverized, it's tumbling rapidly, but certainly far from being pulverized.

Any particles that are broken off would have to make it through three sponges at the top of that reactor, through the carbon reactor and then through my filter sock. I feel safe at night knowing it's ok.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I use a MJ 600 but have it throttled back
Old 01/01/2008, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

I just got my second reactor to use for carbon. I will run it off a maxi-jet 600 most likely.

I am using phosban in my first reactor running off a mini-jet 404.

You benefit more from carbon being run with more flow than the phosban type media. So even though it would be much easier to run them daisy-chained, it isn't the best way to do it. Much better to just run them at the flow that is appropriate.