Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/18/2007, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

I would let things settle for a while at this point. Your tank has gone through a rollercoaster, so let it be for a while. You can maybe add some calcium (should not precipitate out), but I wouldn't add any magnesium at this point.

Do you use a calcium reactor, or some other supplement to raise alk? If so, stop for a few days and let alk slowly settle. Check alk, ca and mg daily, and keep ca up while alk settles out.

How does the livestock look?

Check out my little red house above for pics
Old 12/18/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

i do understand the rollercoaster delema but i feel like this bryopsis is growing faster, and if i dont get a handleon it soon im done for! i agree aon leaving alk and Ca alone, but i feel the need to dose MG (its like crack now!! :P) I thought i was gonna cure my tank, but im losing the battle.......I think ill be the first to say its not woring at this point yet...
Old 12/18/2007, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

I understand your desire to move quickly, but I don't believe that a few more days of bryopsis growth will cause nearly as much trouble as messing with the chemistry right now.

I would let the alk settle until next week (say, Christmas Eve)...keep the Mg around 1500. That's where my bryopsis melted...I didn't need to get it to 1600 or more. Test daily, let alk get back to a reasonable level.

Believe me when I say that pretty much every time I've tried to force things to happen, especially by adding chemicals, it's been a complete disaster. You've had way-high alk, salinity problems, a series of water changes all night...before you start dumping stuff back into the tank, I would let it heal a bit...

Old 12/18/2007, 04:12 PM
TRC Leader

I agree. Your numbers are much closer to normal, which is a good thing. And while we as humans may want to chase certain numbers to attain a personal goal, what matters far more is your livestock. Your last post indicated quite a few were distressed, so I would let the tank settle down for a bit before continuing.

In the meantime, use that nervous energy and pluck some of the byropsis out of your tank by hand. There is no way it can grow faster than you can remove it.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Well mine disappeared and I let the Mg level go back down....unfortunately I'm seeing new spots pop up so back up the Mg goes.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Woot ! Woot! i think its starting to work, they seem browner and the feather type apendages on them are falling off, put its this way the bryopsis is looking sickly........ Holy shmoly, if this works you all are getting x-mas gifts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Update: already around 3 weeks passed since switching to TechM, inhabitants are less happy, then with Reef Advantage Magnesium, bryopsis is without changes.

Anybody had success with eradicating feathery bryopsis?
I posted photos 2-3 pages ago.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

What is your Mg at? Apparently there are only certain types of HA affected...I have to believe that if you get Mg elevated and a week goes by with no change, you don't have the right type. Mine disappeared within a couple days...after a week you should at least notice a change...

Old 12/20/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

1600-1650 ppm.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

i thought i was winning until today, yesterday it looked bad today it looks better than ever, i dunno whats going on with this stuff, my alk levels are back to normal, sg is fine, nitrates are like 10 ppm, (i know they hihg) and i just added more mg raising it, i should be in the 1750 range now, and still hoing for a miracle
Old 12/20/2007, 01:49 PM
TRC Leader

Are you guys manually pruning this stuff as well, or just waiting for it to vanish on its own?
Old 12/20/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

today was the first day that i finished waiting for it to magically disappear, and i stuck my upper body into the tank with a scuba mask andtore out as much as i could, unfortunetly its hard to get it all out as someof it slips out of my fingers, but i have been runnong poweheads full blast and changing the filter socks often, i will keep tearing at this crap all week, and hope for the best, im not giving up yet.,..
Old 12/21/2007, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

Manually plucking (Is this the word? as a bird), and scraping by knife, where possible. Every week - quite a harvest.

Inflamed fingers (or mishandled corals, if in gloves) after that, may be bristle worms, but they do not leave bristles.

My tank is 12" deep, workable. The growth on bottom, silicone and the corals is the biggest problem. Walls are cleanable.

Porites don't appreciate repeated handling.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

I have been following the thread and this is very interesting.

Has this worked on any other types of algea?
Old 01/08/2008, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

just wanted to let everyone know the results of battling bryopsis in my tank using tech-M.

I was using OceanPure Pro salt and had high mag to begin with due to the salt. mag was at 2000ppm and bryopsis was unaffected. I then switched to reef crystals, got my mag down to 1700 doing a pile of waterchanges and started dosing kent tech-m. once i hit 2100 ppm i stopped and waited. at first i thought it was not working as i was not getting the quick results others were, but now two weeks later the bryopsis is almost gone. it has worked great. i have been battling bryopsis for 8 months with a GFO reactor and it removed the hair algea, but not the bryopsis. THANK-YOU TECH-M !!
Old 01/08/2008, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Good to hear calkrog. I don't know what it is in Tech M that's doing it, but it's working for a lot of people. Doesn't seem like it's just magnesium that does it.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

heres a silly question, well something worked all my bryopsis died, and as soon as my levels returned to normal, guess what else did! Did this crap come back for alot of you guys? do you guys keep high MG levels now? Do i need to keep levels high longer? please help
Old 01/11/2008, 10:49 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by frezel
heres a silly question, well something worked all my bryopsis died, and as soon as my levels returned to normal, guess what else did! Did this crap come back for alot of you guys? do you guys keep high MG levels now? Do i need to keep levels high longer? please help
Besides killing the existing algae I think it is important to work toward removing the original issues that caused the high nutrients in the first place.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I upgraded my skimmer to the ATI bubble master 200 and the bryopsis has not returned

my MG level is 1300