Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Changed behavior in O.s.

My peacock has exhibited a marked change in behavior that I believe is related to molting but I am not sure. Just wanted to check with you all.

A few weeks ago, Thumper started showing signs of an impending molt: significant rearrangement of the rockwork, whacking at everything (including the tank, repeatedly), and closing off one side of her PVC tube. A few days ago, she more-or-less retreated full-time into the tube, but left the one side open. She stopped accepting food, but still peeks out occasionally.

I have stopped offering food and have dimmed the lights. This morning when I fed the damsels in the tank, she once again stuck a head out (more like eyes and antennae) then did a flip-turn back to the far corner.

I'd call this "molting behavior" except she hasn't completely closed off the burrow (despite ample materials) and makes periodic "appearances".

Water parameters are as close to "perfect" as is measurable: zero nitrate, nitrate, ammonia, phosphate; 77 degrees, pH about 8.1, calcium and alkalinity within reasonable "ideal" range.

This is my first O.s. molt cycle (?) so I'm not sure what to expect. Ideas?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02/02/2007, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Dan,

Yes. In fact, it sounds like she may have already molted. They often quickly bury the molt skin right after a molt.

Roy
Old 02/02/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Huh, thanks Dr. Roy. When I had a G. graphurus, it would completely hide during a molt, not showing anything. I guess being "king of the reef" means you get to show yourself even when vulnerable!

I will offer food on a stick in a few days, and see if she is interested. I will also dig in the sand a bit and see if I can find the molt skin.

Dan
Old 02/03/2007, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Most gonodactylids live in rock cavities that they can completely seal. They do not take the molt skin away and bury it. The odontodactylids live in burrows. It they totally seal them up, the molt skin could foul the water inside. Also, large predators could dig into the burrow. I suspect this is why they take the molt skin away from the burrow and bury it as soon as possible.

Roy
Old 02/03/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

my O. Scyllarus has been in this behavior for about a month now and i have yet to find ANY part of a molt, could this mean a failed molt Dr. Roy? i really hope not because she is eating good and another way i can tell she hasnt molted is because her left side raptoral appendage is still small like it was before and it never grew