Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/05/2006, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Got another speeding ticket going to the beach, will car ins. go up ?

Darn it.

Went to the beach (Ocean City and Rehoboth beach) yesterday and was clocked going 73 mph in a 55 zone. $80.

I should have known better (procastination will cost you).

I should have bought that radar detector I've been thinking about.

That's the second speeding ticket in 2 years.

Will my insurance go up ? How does that work ?

My driver license is Virginia's.

Last year's speeding ticket was in Delaware (I don't think they share info with VA).

And yesterday was in Maryland (and mostlikely they share info with VA).

How can I find out which states share ticketing info with each other and when will your car insurance goes up ?
Old 06/05/2006, 11:34 AM
Stop touching me!!!

Shouldn't for the 2nd in 2 years, but YMMV. It changes by Insurance company. You'll know when you get a little something in the mail...
Old 06/05/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

probably. it may take a few months, but i'm guessing it will.

Old 06/05/2006, 03:15 PM
Moved In

Re: Got another speeding ticket going to the beach, will car ins. go up ?

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
Darn it.

I should have known better (procastination will cost you).

So I'm guessing going the speed limit never crossed your mind?

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 06/05/2006, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

If you pay the ticket, you get points on your license and your insurance will almost definitely go up. If you fight it , you may get no points. I dont know how far a drive it is buyt may be worth it to fight it. At least 25% of the cops dont show and the ticket will get dismissed. Even if he shows, if your record is good, the judge may give you no points on your license, just the fine.
Old 06/05/2006, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Interesting. My record is still pretty clean.

Taking a day off and going to the court for this may be worth it.
I have to think about this.
Old 06/05/2006, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Got another speeding ticket going to the beach, will car ins. go up ?

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Only if the speed limit is 75 mph (as they are south of Richmond, VA, and most part of I-95 going south towards Florida).
Old 06/05/2006, 05:51 PM
Moved On

ask for a disobeying traffic device, its 1110-a in new york, its 2 points and not considered a moving violation ive probably got near 25 of em on my record =)........................thank god for women and their insurance
Old 06/05/2006, 06:41 PM
Moved On

How about doing what I did a few years ago, got a ticket for illegal left turn.
I took the drivers one day class, cost the same as the ticket.
Got it off my record and nothing is sent to the insurance co.
They have it in every state I think.
Will still cost you $80.00 but no record of it after you take the class.
And you get to meet others who have a lead foot like yourself.
One thing I did like however is talking to the people that got tickets from the radar at an intersection, you know, where they take the pic of your liscense plate and your face screaming (OH NO)!
That was way cool as they had there pics with there tickets.
Old 06/05/2006, 06:44 PM
Moved On

yeah i used to take that class every 18 months, 4 points off and 10% on insurance , so i would go for points and my girl would go for ins, only allowed once in 18 months, what a waste of a sat =(
Old 06/05/2006, 06:54 PM
Reefer

Re: Got another speeding ticket going to the beach, will car ins. go up ?

Quote:
Originally posted by oz

My driver license is Virginia's.
Radar detectors are illegal in VA. They should be everywhere!

Don't you have cruise control? Or are you one of those that think speeding is a victimless crime?

Yes, I speed routinely.
Old 06/05/2006, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

I..can't drive..55

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 06/05/2006, 07:00 PM
Moved On

a radar detector isnt going to do jack for you unless you are speeding about a 100 yards behind somone else thats speeding , so when the cop nails him you can read it and slow down b4 he pulls out............................speeding by yourself your toast either way

i learned that detectors are illegal in va pulling out of busch gardens, then over to the curb, lol
Old 06/05/2006, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
I..can't drive..55

....because it only goes...38.

Old 06/05/2006, 09:22 PM
404 errors turn me on

The class costs $25 in Texas and you CAN do it online but I wouldn't reccomend that as it's easier to just sit somewhere and zone out. Your insurance won't go up but you still have to pay the ticket.

P.S. I really feel for you getting a ticket for 73 is pretty ridiculous.
Old 06/05/2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

the locals were apparently training one day and pulled my wife over. she was doing 37 in a 35! no ticket, just the bother of being pulled over.

as for me, i've been in the suspension line before. $300/month for liability only on a fiero! thankfully i'm not there anymore!

Old 06/06/2006, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

if you go to court see if you can plea "failure to observe a sign" its a no-point tix.

Yes, I'm the One and only Witty~
Old 06/06/2006, 07:08 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

Re: Re: Got another speeding ticket going to the beach, will car ins. go up ?

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
HA. Nobody drives the speed limit here, at least not without running the risk of getting run off the road(especially the Beach traffic) that is, unless of course any sort of percipitation is falling out of the sky, then traffic comes to a screaching halt.

I, personally, have never wished to be a hot dog
Old 06/06/2006, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Check this out. I just google how to fight a ticket. One website suggests you go in to fight the ticket, play a lawyer, etc. here's what they say...

Quote:
In order for a traffic ticket to "stick" to you, the traffic cop must do so many things exactly perfectly right, and many of them just don't.

The cop will probably testify that he tested the radar equipment before the stop, but the cop will often forget to test it again after issuing one ticket as required by case law and in many states by statute.

Often the cop will not be able to show that the radar unit was tested for interference at the location of use as required by case law and in many states by statute.

In court, ask the cop for documentation that the radar unit was certified as being accurate, such as the manufacturer's certification of accuracy or recent shop visit for function and accuracy testing.

Although the cop will usually testify to having had general radar training, ask the cop if he was trained on the specific radar gun he used.
Another website says...

Quote:
When you finally appear in court, it will probably be a district court set aside specifically for traffic violations. Before the judge begins hearing traffic cases, he or she usually gives a short five minute speal about how they are going to try the cases appearing before the court on that day.

This is where you can size up the judge and determine how your case will fall. If you have a clean driving record, more than likely you will be given PBJ. PBJ doesn't stand for Peanut Butter and Jelly, it stands for Probation Before Judgement. What this means is that the court feels there is enough evidence to convict you but will hold a verdict until the end of the probationary period. If you reach the end of the probationary period without any similar violations, a verdict of not guilty will be entered and no points will appear on your driving record. The term of the probationary period is at the discretion of the judge. If no term is mentioned in court, it is usually until you pay the fine and court costs. So you are on probation from the time you leave the courtroom until you walk over to the cashier and pay the fine. If a term is specified, it is usually six months or one year.

During the short speech, the judge will explain how cases will be handled. For example, a judge may say that if you have a clean driving record for the past 3 years and were traveling at less than 20 MPH over the posted speed limit, PBJ will be granted.
What if you get a hanging judge ?

Quote:
After the judge gives his little speech, you can decide whether you actually want this judge to hear your case. Most of the time the judge will be fair and give you PBJ or a reduction in points. However, the whole premise of this document is so that you don't receive any points! As long as you are not one of the first people on the docket, you can sit and watch how the judge will handle other cases similar to yours. If you feel the judge is giving fair sentences and lots of PBJs, you can stand up when your name is called and have the judge hear your case.

However, what do you do if the judge feels like hanging people that day? GET UP AND LEAVE!!! Yes, that's right, just leave. Don't say a thing when your name is called and leave after a few more cases. I know what you are thinking, "But you just said that I can get arrested for not showing up!" That's true, the legal speak for this is "Failure To Appear." It takes about 30-60 days (this time may be decreased as computers help speed the process.) before you receive a letter in the mail stating you have to appear at the courthouse and pay the fine as collateral for another trial. At this same time, police have access to this information as well. To avoid this, simply go to the courthouse the next day and say that you want to reschedule a missed trial. The court will require you to pay the fine indicated on the ticket as collaterial and reschedule your date. The reason you reschedule the date is in the hopes that you will get a different judge the second time around. This also offers you a chance that the office doesn't show up. This trick only works once and the second time around, if you don't appear, the full point will appear on your driving record without your ability to appear in court.

Then plead guilty.

Unless you have a ton of evidence, 800 witnesses, and full video coverage, plead guilty. Why? Well, for one, the judge will always believe the cop over you.

Some states may have a "No Contest" plea. This plea means that you are not saying that you are guilty, just that you are not contesting the charges. In most cases, this is what to plead when you want PBJ.

Last edited by oz; 06/06/2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06/06/2006, 08:40 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

in MD, ask for a continuance/postponement- Officers are given one administrative day to go to court - all the tickets they wrote for the month are on the day's docket, and they have to come in on their own time for your second court date, and in most cases, they wont appear(who wants to use their Vacation time to go to court?). If the Officer is not there, the case is automatically dismissed.(This does NOT include DWI/DUI cases as the Breathealyzer results are counted as prosecutable evidence)

I, personally, have never wished to be a hot dog
Old 06/06/2006, 08:43 AM
Moved In

Re: Re: Re: Got another speeding ticket going to the beach, will car ins. go up ?

Quote:
Originally posted by budhaboy
HA. Nobody drives the speed limit here, at least not without running the risk of getting run off the road(especially the Beach traffic) that is, unless of course any sort of percipitation is falling out of the sky, then traffic comes to a screaching halt.
I have no doubt. I'm sure I'm the slowest driver on the road going the speed limit! Well someone's got to keep the cops busy.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 06/06/2006, 09:49 AM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
Check this out. I just google how to fight a ticket.
oz, you know you were speeding. Own up! And tell me you've never complained about the pitiful system of justice in the US. And here you go looking for technicalities. You better not take your wife with you when you go to fight this ticket. The cop may enter into evidence a pair of red panties that he confiscated from your trunk that you've been hiding since your trip to Copenhagen!
Old 06/06/2006, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Im right there with you i just got a speeding ticket also, excpet mine was sorta reckless driving so im in a bit more trouble.....Im in Va as well.