Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/06/2006, 11:32 AM
Dirty Reefer

Angry Its' no longer road rage, now I.E.D.!!

AP news-

Thank goodness they have come up with a nifty diagnosis for Road Rage or just generally being angry, mad or p'ss off!
I can see it now. Crazys who kill others in fits of rage can now be found not guilty by reason of mental illness:

INTERMITTENT EXPLOSIVE DISORDER.

Give me a break.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 06/06/2006, 11:43 AM
a.k.a. "Keg Girl"

Oh goodness. What next? Before you know it, sneezing will become "Intermittent Nose-Clearing Disorder."

**New avatar: me and the Philly Phanatic**
Old 06/06/2006, 11:45 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

My local station had an interview with the doctor. The correct story should be 3-4% of people with "road rage" have IED.

* yawn *

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 06/06/2006, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Intermittent Whining Disorder.

Old 06/06/2006, 12:02 PM
Stop touching me!!!

Intermittent Stupid Disorder...
Old 06/06/2006, 12:05 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Re: Its' no longer road rage, now I.E.D.!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobster
AP news-

Thank goodness they have come up with a nifty diagnosis for Road Rage or just generally being angry, mad or p'ss off!
I can see it now. Crazys who kill others in fits of rage can now be found not guilty by reason of mental illness:

Give me a break.

That sounds more like a Digestive Tract problem then a mental disorder
Old 06/06/2006, 12:16 PM
Dirty Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
My local station had an interview with the doctor. The correct story should be 3-4% of people with "road rage" have IED.

* yawn *
Yep, DR Emil Coccaro (kind of sounds like )

The study was based on a national face to face survey of 9,282 US adults through a questionaire in 2001-2003. From this it was determined that 5-7% had the disorder which would indicate that 16 million had the disorder.

Don't you just love what they can do with numbers! How can this be statistically valid?

Old 06/06/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Well if it is a random sampling of the US population, then it can be and is statistically valid. If a big enough effect exists it can be found statistically significant even with a smaller group. Now I am not saying that this study had those results. But the point of statistics is to draw inferences from a smaller group to a larger group.

Also IED has existed and been documented for a while. This study was only done to get a handle on how many people actually have it. They found it before when people went for other problems. People make fun of these "new" diseases, but you might as well make of PTSD. Psychologists were not taken seriously when they spoke of that disorder, and some still say it doesn’t exist, in spite of the fact that there are documented cases where a specific treatment helps consistently across people and groups. If a treatment does that then, maybe just maybe military men and women actually have the illness.

Finally, just because it is given a name recently doesn’t mean that the condition didn’t exist before. Look at melancholy. People had it before a term was given to it, but then it was found that those people could be divided into new groups. The name doesn’t create the illness, but an illness that is prevalent enough necessitates a name.
Old 06/06/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

My big thing is, why Intermittent Explosive Disorder instead of road rage? Why PTSD instead of shell shock? I subscribe to Carlin's theory in all this........people get numb when the name gets longer, less in-your-face. Everything nowadays is a 'disorder'. How about LTFADFED (Looking To Find A Disorder For Everything disorder)? I think it's called Hypocondria, formerly Worry Wart, formerly Anal.

I think the road rage thing being an actual disorder is bs. People in this day and time are impatient and self-absorbed. I include myself in that; I lose my temper way too much, but I think I have a little more self control and brains to know not to pull over when the guy who I just cut off motions me to. I can forget things that pi$$ me off and go on. Might take me longer sometimes, but I get over it and go on.

I don't look for everything that's wrong with me to have a name with 'disorder' attached to it; I'm human, I'm not perfect, and I accept it.

Just my .02 worth.
Old 06/06/2006, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

nah, that diagnosis has been around for many years. applying it to 'road ragers' suits it tho. because it's an axis 2 disorder no one will be getting off on a mental illness excuse. not gonna happen

gael
Old 06/06/2006, 01:17 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Stupidity annoys me no matter where it occurs. Is that a disorder?

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 06/06/2006, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

We see road rage (lounge rage) in many of the threads here in the RC lounge.

Hey do you think may be that's what BrianD has ? IED ?
Old 06/06/2006, 02:29 PM
m0derated

IED is contagious and cars are the vectors that carry the disease. When someone in a Hummer tailgates me, I come down with symptoms. I'm gonna sue GMC, the guy who paints the lines on the road, and the pavement itself... ....and that pothole in front of my driveway.

I have S.A.D.
Old 06/06/2006, 03:21 PM
Dirty Reefer

A new movie remake coming out soon.

The Twelve IED Men

Old 06/06/2006, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Anyone looking for an attorney? Gaels said it best, it is not going to be something that will totally absolve people of responsibility, but now that it has a scientific name, lawyers will try to use it to mitigate criminal culpability. Rage is a longstanding mitigation theory in criminal law, best know as EED (extreme emotional disturbance) and is best illustrated in the case of a spouse finding the other spouse in bed with a lover and committing a double homicide. It doesn't result in a walk, however, just a mitigation to manslughter (in NY at least). I agree with hobster, who started this thread, enough is enough already with the ," I'm not responsible for my own stupidity, society must accept the consequences of my stupidity!" routine. Ultimately its up to us as individuals to stop the nonsense.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 06/06/2006, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, yeah I know. Who asked the lawyer?

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 06/06/2006, 07:35 PM
Registered pineapple

My friend was driving his motorcycle down the freeway and was smashed into the concrete divider. He was hit so hard It threw him over the divider into oncoming traffic. The driver of the car that hit him kept on driving. Needless to say it totalled his bike and put him in the hospital for months. When the police finally caught him the driver said he was having a bad day and was cut off by another driver a few miles before the incident. The case went to trial and the driver got off scott free and didn't have to pay for anything. Because he had road rage!
B.S.!!!!!!!!
Old 06/06/2006, 08:47 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Re: Its' no longer road rage, now I.E.D.!!

Quote:

I thought only excitable young men had that?
Old 06/06/2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

IED Improvided Explosive Device, That's what it means to me and thousands of other Iraq vets anyway. But then again the pansies that have do give silly little labels to their immaturity problems wouldn't have the slightest idea What a real IED is, LOL

jd