Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/27/2007, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

Chlorine, chloramine, and TDS

Does anyone know if chlorine and chloramine register on a TDS meter if they are in water?

Or is a test kit the only way to know if they were filtered out of 0 tds water successfully?
Old 12/27/2007, 01:47 PM
Team RC Member

A low level chlorine tester is best. If chlorine and or chloramines have made it through your treatment process then you have other problems for sure. A RO membrane cannot tolerate chlorine so if you detect it your membrane has been ruined for sure. You will have gobs of TDS.
Old 12/27/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Filter Guys carry a $15.00 test kit
Old 12/27/2007, 03:21 PM
Team RC Member

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_chlorine_test_kit.htm
Old 12/27/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Scudd and AZDesertRat! I'll order a test kit tonight.

Will chloramine show up on a chlorine test kit?
Old 12/27/2007, 08:35 PM
Team RC Member

The chlorine portion will. Chloramines are formed by combining chlorine and ammonia. Why the interest in testing for them? A god carbon block will remove any traces of chlorine and the combination of a good RO membrane and DI resin takes care of any traces of ammonia which is akin to nitrate.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

AZDesertRat, I bought a bargain RO/DI unit and, even though I am getting zero TDS, I question the quality of the filters. Additionally, they seem to send chlorine (or chloramine) through my city water system in bursts, as sometimes I can smell it much more strongly than at other times.

Just a little paranoid, I guess, since I tried to save some money. If chlorine or chloramine was making it to my RO membrane, how long would it take to ruin it and raise my TDS?
Old 12/27/2007, 11:01 PM
Team RC Member

Almost immediately. For starters I would replace the prefilter and carbon block with a 0.5 micron prefilter and a 0.5 or 0.6 micron Matrix Chlorine Guzzler carbon block.
Where are you measuring 0 TDS? If its after the DI then the DI may be working overtime to make up for a bad membrane. Measure the TDS in the tap water and the RO only before DI, those are the two figures that tell the story. Any DI SHOULD deliver 0 TDS if it is working correctly even with a poor membrane, at least for a short time. Do you know for sure if your water ytility uses chloramines? It is becoming more common but most still do not feed ammonia.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Thank you again for the advice and information, AZDesertRat.

I am measuring TDS after the DI. I will disconnect the input hose to the DI and take a sample straight from the RO.

I am hoping the water doesn't contain chloramines, but I am having trouble finding the number to call to find out.

I've made about 14 gallons of water so far and TDS is still zero. I guess I'll find out soon if the DI has done all the work!