Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/29/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

good protein skimmers VS Bad

I often read people talking about their crappy skimmer that they are replacing with this or that, now I'm scared to choose one. how do i know what is junk? How big is the difference between brand is there really? they all seem to be designed the same way.

(btw I setting up a 40g with a sump)

cheers
Old 09/29/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

I'm a biology teacher as well! Welcome to reef central! Wish I knew where the cool welcome graffic was, but alas no one has told me!

There is a major difference between skimmers. I personally like the remora, but others will surely chime in with the ones they like. I personally like to follow the rule of thumb that calls for a skimmer three times the tanks total volume. That's just a personal rule, however.
Old 09/29/2007, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

*edits itsthesong's post*

To Reef Central
Old 09/29/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

You won't read of many people who are dissapointed with their Octopus skimmers. Cheap and effective.
Old 09/29/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Where is that graffic found?

Anywho, it's right. You truly get what you pay for in this hobby. Don't buy cheap because you think that you are saving, it will end up costing a lot more in headache and heartache in the long run. MY .02 cents of course.
Old 09/29/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Euro-Reef is one of the best skimmers on the market today. But it is pricey.
Old 09/30/2007, 12:08 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Spend the money on a good skimmer now. Otherwise, you'll wind up with one or two cheap skimmers sitting in the closet with the other pieces of reef equipment which seemed like a good idea at the time, but ultimately proved worthless.

I have used a Remora and a Remora Pro by AquaC in my tanks over the years and have been very happy with them.
Old 09/30/2007, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

what do ya'll consider cheap or pricey? I'm with reefgeekcanada! I'm scared to choose a skimmer!
I have a 110 gal with a 30 gal sump/ refugium. Obviously my seaclone skimmer isn't gonna cut it.
One could spend $300 on an Octopus DNW-150 Recirculating
Protein Skimmer but i'm afraid to buy it and then want to upgrade to Euro-Reef RC135 Recirculating
Protein Skimmer w/ pump* for $668!

parameters:
78-79F
alk 7dKH
sg 1.026
pH 8.2
phosphate 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
calcium 400
Old 09/30/2007, 03:08 AM
Moved On

I have heard so many horror stories of individuals buying skimmers that don't perform worth beans and think they got a great skimmer because they just didn't know any better. I heard of one lady locally in our area that spend over $1,000 over a 5 year period dealing with skimmers that she wasn't happy with and if she took that money and bought the right skimmer the first time, she would have saved herself hundreds of dollars. So, yes, do your research and buy the right model for your size setup the first time and you will surely save money in the long run. You won't ever regret buying a great skimmer... and there is better than ER RC135. For that 110g plus 30g sump, I would suggest the H&S A150 if you can afford that unit as it is $650. Definitely a step up from ER RC135 and perfect match for your system.

For the 40g with sump, the H&S A110 $460 is a great match if that fits your budget. Otherwise, the ER RS80 for $180 will do just great. There are other budget skimmers.
Old 09/30/2007, 05:31 AM
Premium Member

*side note to the above post*

Make sure to leave a little room for upgrading. I got gallon-itis and had to buy all new stuff for my 90
Old 09/30/2007, 05:39 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by itsthesong I personally like to follow the rule of thumb that calls for a skimmer three times the tanks total volume. That's just a personal rule, however. [/B]
The best skimmer is one that is perfectly matched for you system as you'll probably get the best performance. BUT you cannot rely on manufacturer's specs as they are usually overly optimistic. Best to consult with professionals and reefers that have used a variety of skimmers or tested and evaluated them and then you'll get a good idea what's a good match. Many times reefers buy 2x or 3x the capacity is because either the skimmer doesn't perform well or the ratings are way overly rated by manfacturers. For high performance skimmers, you don't want to oversize too much or it will not perform well. Buying oversize is only a good idea if there's an upgrade in the very near future. Don't buy something oversized if you have no idea when you'll be upgrading.
Old 09/30/2007, 05:47 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by itsthesong
Where is that graffic found?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ght=clue+me+in

------------------------------------------------
Old 09/30/2007, 11:07 AM
Charleston Reefer

DAS ex-1 will just about blow most of these listed skimmer away. Its cost under $300 but it is a big skimmer. So make sure you can fit it. Skimmer dimensions: 15.4"x7.1"x23.4"

http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=73

Its uses the same skimmer pump and basic design as the H&S that cost $649. So you are get a VERY similar for about half price.
Old 09/30/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Remora rated for 2+ times the volume I actually have.

or Euro reef 80 ($$$$ ouch)

or DAS ex-1 (thats a huge skimmer, better price though)

Octopus which one? there are many models?

thanks everyone
Old 09/30/2007, 04:04 PM
Charleston Reefer

You will not be happy with the remora. Check out some of the remora thread or just ask about them in the equipment section. Remora are best for nano tanks. I used one on a 30gal and it couldn;t handle it.

The octopus are a great skimmers with a bad pump. You really have to mod it to get the best performance. Also there have been a lot of reports of the pumps running hot.
Old 09/30/2007, 04:43 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
You will not be happy with the remora. Check out some of the remora thread or just ask about them in the equipment section. Remora are best for nano tanks. I used one on a 30gal and it couldn;t handle it.
But if you look at hundreds of other archived threads on skimmers you'll find a huge number of people who are very satisfied with Remoras, me included. You can't trash an entire product line because of one or two threads which state contrarian claims.
Old 09/30/2007, 05:00 PM
Charleston Reefer

I have used a remora skimmer for years on my 30gal tank. It is not a good skimmer and should really only be used where you have no sump and have a really small tank.

Maybe if you haven't used a better skimmer you may feel it does a great job. If you have a sump there is no reason to buy a remora.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ghlight=remora

seems that you had this discussion before.....

Last edited by USC-fan; 09/30/2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09/30/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

I'm happy with my CSS 220 works great 4 me got it hangin on my sump/fuge. and it's only $150-166 Best bang for the buck IMO
Old 09/30/2007, 05:35 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ghlight=remora

seems that you had this discussion before.....
We have had this discussion before, because every now and then, a contrarian idea or concept is thrown around as the new dogma, and it's important to point out that the majority opinion does not support the new idea.

You may not like Remoras, but for those people who have small tanks and no sumps (like me) they work well.
Old 09/30/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I agree on the Euroreef skimmer. Mine has been running fine for 5 years with just and annual cleaning of the impeller.

Check with Euroreef as they now and then have blemished (Blems) units at a fraction of retail.
Old 09/30/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

I'd say about 30 or 40% of our club uses a remora or remora pro. I used to use one. I agree, they work just fine. Other skimmers that our club members have had success with include Tunze, Euroreef, MRC, ASM, and Deltec.
Old 10/01/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

The octopus are a great skimmers with a bad pump. You really have to mod it to get the best performance. Also there have been a lot of reports of the pumps running hot.

The pumps they are shipping now don't even have mod potential.

Best to stick with a reputable company, one that doesn't make serious downgrades without notifying customers or at least changing model #$'s .
Old 10/01/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

So what would be the best skimmer for a 500 gal tank with a 125 sump/fuge and a 340 gal tank with a 100 gal sump/fuge?

RIP Duke

I LOVE WILD TURKEY RARE BREED!!!!!
Old 10/01/2007, 06:56 PM
Charleston Reefer

/\/\/\
You might want to start a new thread in the equipment forum. You will get more suggestions that way.

Quote:
Originally posted by kysard1
The pumps they are shipping now don't even have mod potential.

Best to stick with a reputable company, one that doesn't make serious downgrades without notifying customers or at least changing model #$'s .
wow sure didn't know about that.

Is there a thread were this is being discussed?
Old 10/01/2007, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by specopsteam
So what would be the best skimmer for a 500 gal tank with a 125 sump/fuge and a 340 gal tank with a 100 gal sump/fuge?
I'd post that in the big tanks forum.