Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

cool thanks what kind of ballast or do you have a fixture ....also what kind of reflectors
Old 01/06/2008, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

cool thanks what kind of ballast or do you have a fixture ....also what kind of reflectors
Old 01/06/2008, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

oh yrah and if possible when you get the chance a fts of your par readings showing lights and all thanks victor
Old 01/06/2008, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

I hope I am phrasing the question right...but...Anyone know if there a 4x39w T5 bulb color combo that is some what similar to a 14k phoenix MH bulb look?

~Mike
Old 01/06/2008, 06:57 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
Thanks once again for your endless tireless work on this thread, Grim!

Is this primarily because of the Aquablues in the lower mix?

Spleen
Ahhh, yeah
Old 01/06/2008, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

My Icecap 660 pooped out yesterday and I think I may use it as an excuse for an upgrade. I have an MH on there now for emergency backup, but I like all flourescent.

I think I'm going to go with 4x54 tek retros, and then use my icecap to drive 2 vho actinics (or, if there isn't enough room in my canopy, I'd probably use the 660 to drive 2 more t5s).

So, here's the question. It will probably take me about a month to get the icecap fixed. Anyone want to give me a recommendation for the 4 bulbs I should run in the teks until I get my VHO back? Obviously, not anxious to buy too many bulbs.

I plan to order from reefgeek later today, and they are out of blueplus, so any recommendation that doesn't involve blueplus would be great.

I guess the question is what can I run in a 4x54 set up that will be ok for a month, and then allow me to add actinic later or allow not too much light swapping later? If this just won't work, anyone want to recommend a good 4-bulb t5 set up that I can use until I get 6 bulbs going? (Again, without blueplus.)

I only have softies and 2 LPS that are not particularly light picky. Don't plan on SPS at any point. Thanks.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Hey Grim I have a 72"x24"x26" with 8x54w retro staggered with 4 workhorse ballasts. (each ballast running 2 lamps) My current setup looks like this:

Actinic plus
......................Actinic plus
AB plus 11k
Actinic plus
AB plus 11k

I'm not totally sure about this combination. I would like to get more of a blue look and I want to keep a mixed reef including some sps and maybe a clam or two. With this current setup/combination do you think its possible? If not, What would you recommend? Thanks.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

I'm looking for a bulb combination for a 36" TX5 fixture (5 bulbs). I'm new to T5 and am a little lost. I've read through a good chunk of this thread but, I'm still unsure. I'm looking for the look of about a 15K halide. I'm keeping mostly softies with some LPS and SPS, and a clam in a a AGA 65g so par is pretty important. (tank is 21.5" deep from top of sandbed, and I'm hoping to keep the clam about 18" down.)

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pete620
I'm looking for a bulb combination for a 36" TX5 fixture (5 bulbs). I'm new to T5 and am a little lost. I've read through a good chunk of this thread but, I'm still unsure. I'm looking for the look of about a 15K halide. I'm keeping mostly softies with some LPS and SPS, and a clam in a a AGA 65g so par is pretty important. (tank is 21.5" deep from top of sandbed, and I'm hoping to keep the clam about 18" down.)

That's almost the same as my (intended) set up except I'm getting the 6 bulb fixture, so if you can recommend a 6 bulb at the same time that would be great!
Old 01/06/2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flaco626nj
It a Fauna Marin fixture. Unless the prices have dropped I don't recomend them. Nice but too much $$$ for what is basically a prebuilt retrofit kit. It uses VS/Sylvania/Osram ballasts.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lark
My Icecap 660 pooped out yesterday and I think I may use it as an excuse for an upgrade. I have an MH on there now for emergency backup, but I like all flourescent.

I think I'm going to go with 4x54 tek retros, and then use my icecap to drive 2 vho actinics (or, if there isn't enough room in my canopy, I'd probably use the 660 to drive 2 more t5s).

So, here's the question. It will probably take me about a month to get the icecap fixed. Anyone want to give me a recommendation for the 4 bulbs I should run in the teks until I get my VHO back? Obviously, not anxious to buy too many bulbs.

I plan to order from reefgeek later today, and they are out of blueplus, so any recommendation that doesn't involve blueplus would be great.

I guess the question is what can I run in a 4x54 set up that will be ok for a month, and then allow me to add actinic later or allow not too much light swapping later? If this just won't work, anyone want to recommend a good 4-bulb t5 set up that I can use until I get 6 bulbs going? (Again, without blueplus.)

I only have softies and 2 LPS that are not particularly light picky. Don't plan on SPS at any point. Thanks.
Actinic Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue

Should be about what your looking for.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tallman50
Hey Grim I have a 72"x24"x26" with 8x54w retro staggered with 4 workhorse ballasts. (each ballast running 2 lamps) My current setup looks like this:

Actinic plus
AB plus 11k
Actinic plus
AB plus 11k

I'm not totally sure about this combination. I would like to get more of a blue look and I want to keep a mixed reef including some sps and maybe a clam or two. With this current setup/combination do you think its possible? If not, What would you recommend? Thanks.
Actinic Plus
--------Actinic Plus
Aquablue
--------Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
'''''''''''''Aquasun
Actinic Plus
--------Actinic Plus

Grab and Ice Cap 660 and overdrive the aquablue and aquasun lamps and be sure to run fans to keep the lamps from getting too hot.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pete620

Blue Plus/Actinic Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
BP/AP
ATI Aquablue

mdbrit
for 6 lamps add another Blue Plus/Super actinic
Old 01/06/2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by limestro
I hope I am phrasing the question right...but...Anyone know if there a 4x39w T5 bulb color combo that is some what similar to a 14k phoenix MH bulb look?

~Mike
use 1 Blue Plus, 1 Aquablue, 1 UVL Super Actinic and 1 Aquasun or GE daylight and 1 Aquablue.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Grim I dont know how you havent lost your mind yet-lol. I have a 90 gallon bowfront and the largest lighting system i can fit under the canopy is 12 inches. I can only find three t5 fixtures that fit, and I was wondering which one in ur opinion is the best. Nova extreme pro 6x54, TX5 5x54, tek4x54. Dont take into account the lamps I am going to be replacing them with your lamp config. I will keeping a BTA, LPS, and SPS. If you know of another fixture that measures 12 inches or less and you think its better let me know- Thanks
Old 01/06/2008, 03:59 PM

ATI Powermodule would be my first choice folowed by aquactinics then Tek.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
use 1 Blue Plus, 1 Aquablue, 1 UVL Super Actinic and 1 Aquasun or GE daylight and 1 Aquablue.
Grim,

When you are say Aquablue are you referring to the UVL's 75/25 14000K AquaBlue correct?

~Mike
Old 01/06/2008, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

^ probably ATI
Old 01/06/2008, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Grim-
Thanks for the amazing patience and feedback for all the questions asked to date. I am moving from Power Compact to T5 and need some guidance in the fixture. My tank is 30" x 12" x 14"(to top of sand bed), mixed SPS, LPS, and softies. I would love to get a whole new fixture, but the 30" width really limits my choices. My question is should I get a 4x24" retro, which leaves several inches uncovered along the edges, or should I get a 36" fixture, which would lay directly on the tank and overhang 3" on each side (I would have to tape the overhanging edges to keep the light from bleeding into the living room)? With the size of the tank do you think the 4x24" would be adequate to keep all types of corals? Thanks a lot for any help here.

Adam
Old 01/06/2008, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
ATI Powermodule would be my first choice folowed by aquactinics then Tek.
I'm looking for a T5 setup for my 120 gal tank too. I'm thinking about a 6 T5 unit unless a 8 T5 unit is a must for my tank size.

Can you explain a little bit the reason for your order of recommendation?

Can ATI Powermodule mount on top of the tank using a bracket? I don't want to do cable mount.

thanks
Old 01/06/2008, 06:12 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by viodea
Can ATI Powermodule mount on top of the tank using a bracket? I don't want to do cable mount.

thanks
I'll tackle this question, but I'll leave the rest to Grim. The Powermodule doesn't come with any mounting bracket, only the cable mounting hardware. That being said, you can easily rest it atop a support made of wood, acrylic, aluminum, or another heat-resistant surface. Of course you would want to conceal this inside a canopy. I believe jamesdawson mounts his Powermodule in this way.(?) If your tank is topless then I think the cable mounts are quite attractive.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Grim,
Thanks for the reply, I ordered a TX5 at the old price and the bulbs from DIY Reef today.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by limestro
Grim,

When you are say Aquablue are you referring to the UVL's 75/25 14000K AquaBlue correct?

~Mike
No, Aquablue is the ATI Aquablue. The UVL 75/25 is more pink than blue
Old 01/06/2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by muleman2
Grim-
Thanks for the amazing patience and feedback for all the questions asked to date. I am moving from Power Compact to T5 and need some guidance in the fixture. My tank is 30" x 12" x 14"(to top of sand bed), mixed SPS, LPS, and softies. I would love to get a whole new fixture, but the 30" width really limits my choices. My question is should I get a 4x24" retro, which leaves several inches uncovered along the edges, or should I get a 36" fixture, which would lay directly on the tank and overhang 3" on each side (I would have to tape the overhanging edges to keep the light from bleeding into the living room)? With the size of the tank do you think the 4x24" would be adequate to keep all types of corals? Thanks a lot for any help here.

Adam
4x24" would be fine. That tank is short enough a Nova fixture would be fine if you keep it close to the water. They have a 30" fixture with 24" lamps in it that would be fine for that tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by viodea
I'm looking for a T5 setup for my 120 gal tank too. I'm thinking about a 6 T5 unit unless a 8 T5 unit is a must for my tank size.

Can you explain a little bit the reason for your order of recommendation?

thanks
The ATI is the schnitze. The Aquactinics is nice and has good output but it can't quite match the ATI. The Tek is OK if your on a budget but I would get a fan array to mount on the back of the tank to cool the fixture.