Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

What is the burn in period for the Pro Color Bulbs? Does this burn in vary with type of bulbs or is it standard time for T5's?
Old 10/16/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fijiblue
[B]...with all on (2 blue+, 2 blue special, 2 pro color

NICE TANK!!!! I'm getting ready to upgrade from my 24 nano to a whopping 58RR. I am very excited and bought a used TEK 6 bulb hood. I was going to guess on the lights to put into it but after seeing fijiblue's tank----I'm a gonna copy cat his setup. Thanks.
Old 10/16/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I put in a 39 Watt KZ Corallight and it seems that it brings out the blues and in fact one of my acros tips are turning a baby blue. Anybody why this is happening?

Okay, I want to supplement my 1x250 14K Phoenix. I like the Corallight because it brings the blues out. Any other suggestions for for T5 lamps and numbers?

Last question, I'm running the one T5 off an old WH5 ballast is that a good ballast to use for T5's?

It all started with a 10 gallon Wal Mart FW combo.
Old 10/17/2007, 01:37 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

The workhorse isn't great for T5's but they work. As far as the coral light try it against an ATI Aquablue. Only difference I could see in the lamps was the price
Old 10/17/2007, 03:23 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

so, im new to t5 fixtures, i bought a t5 teklight, the new one with polished reflectors and better ballasts,
it came with all geismann bulbs, one of each 4 that they make.

my question is, what brand bulbs should i use for best color and par?
should i stick with the geismann bulbs and just replace the crappy looking dim actinic one with another blue one?
or should i change to a combo of different name brands to get the best effect, including the pro color and fiji purple, and then 2 blue bulbs? (unsure which blue bulbs are the best)

i plan on having this over a 24" 15-20g mixed reef with some sps, lps, and a couple rics and zoos.
i prefer a bluer looking aquarium, but dont want to have more blue at the expense of par.
thanks for any advice
Old 10/17/2007, 03:29 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

oops, double post...
Old 10/17/2007, 08:49 PM

Yep. swap out the pure actinic for a super actinic from UVL. Other than that I wouldn't worry about the others, they are pretty good.
Old 10/19/2007, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

Yes, no actinic. T5 actinics just don't seem to work. I am actually in the process of retro fitting 2 vho actinics to my Tek hood. I hope it works.

These colors are not exact (hard to get right color balance with 3 opposite colors, but this gives you an idea. The pro colors are not that purple
[/B][/QUOTE]

What order do you have these bulbs placed from front to back?
Old 10/19/2007, 02:05 AM

I snaped these really quick. My camera isn't great and my coral selection sucks right now but these top 2 were taken under a single ATI actinic, no reflector

^^ You can see a few yellow orange centered zoos above. The ones below are yellow centers
The orange zoos don't show up as well in the picture.

Top Picture is with Blue Plus and UVL super actinic. Bottom one is just the ATI actinic

The corals in the bottom two pics are starting from the right are GSP, Horn coral, blue candycane, Green Neptheria and one head of a Green Candycane (top picture only) There are a couple light green shrooms and a frogspan in there but they don't show up well in the pic.

These corals glow quite nicely under the actinic. The Actinic won't bring in everything but it definatly catches greens better than the Blue Plus. The combinatiuon of the two looks really good.

Last edited by The Grim Reefer; 10/19/2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10/19/2007, 07:16 AM
Island Jumper

Quote:
What is the burn in period for the Pro Color Bulbs? Does this burn in vary with type of bulbs or is it standard time for T5's?
I found burn in to be at least 3 days...color seems to get more red after that.

Quote:
I put in a 39 Watt KZ Corallight and it seems that it brings out the blues and in fact one of my acros tips are turning a baby blue. Anybody why this is happening?
drouner - I noticed this to switching from B+ and ABS to Aquasun and pro color. Before certain acros were blue and after they turned purple. I believe the more red the light or lower color temp the light, many blues become purple. I noticed this with MH's as well. 10k - purple. 14k+ blue.

UPDATE:
I changed my back light out from a Pro Color to UV SA. I also put a VHO on the front of the fixture:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1221511

Bulbs are now:
FRONT
VHO SA
Blue+
ABS
PC
BLUE+
ABS
UVSA

I miss the extra red of the other PC bulb, but want to see how this works out for a while. Same PAR so doesn't really matter.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 10/19/2007, 01:46 PM

That mod makes sense (assuming the VHO is at the back instead of front) as far as how the lamp wont glare in your eyes. I really think a single pro color should be enough. Maybe not?

If you were to cut a length of 2" PVC pipe into about a third that would make a nice reflector to direct the light from the VHO into the tank instead of the wall behind the tank.
Old 10/22/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Grim, could you give me a good 10 bulb configuration for the ATI powermodule 24"? Would like to duplicate the look of the 400W 20k Radiums.
2 - True Bali RBTA - 6, and 8 inches i think
Sweet Green Carpet - 12 inches
Old 10/22/2007, 04:06 PM

Front

Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Super Actinic
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Old 10/22/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, thats what i'll do first than!!
Old 10/22/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

The Blue Plus is ATI, and the Super Actinic, and the 75/25 is UV Lighting right?
Old 10/22/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cartman5579
The Blue Plus is ATI, and the Super Actinic, and the 75/25 is UV Lighting right?
Yes
Old 10/23/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Grim, Thanks for all your hard work regarding the T-5's. I take it you don't recommend workhorse ballast. I was thinking of investing in a 48" catalina solar 6x54 T-5 set up. It has six 1 watt moon lights, individual german reflectors, and a remote for "dawn to dusk" effect. The online price is $299. This includes bulbs, but I was wondering what you would recommend for a primarily lps with a rbta ?
Old 10/23/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Grim, Thanks for all your hard work regarding the T-5's. I take it you don't recommend workhorse ballast. I was thinking of investing in a 48" catalina solar 6x54 T-5 set up. It has six 1 watt moon lights, individual german reflectors, and a remote for "dawn to dusk" effect. The online price is $299. This includes bulbs, but I was wondering what you would recommend for a primarily lps with a rbta ?
Old 10/23/2007, 02:44 AM

The anemone will need intense light. I would stick with at least a 6 lamp Tek fixture or the 5 lamp aquactinics.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I have 4 bulb tek light on 75 with sps/ crocea clams on top third of tank, and lps softies on bottom half. current bulb set up is:
Front
Blue plus
Aqua blue special
aqua sun
Blue plus

What would you recomrend to make colors pop while still allowing good growth for sps?
Old 10/24/2007, 12:06 AM

Front
Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
Aquasun
Aquablue
Old 10/25/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Much appreciated.
Old 10/26/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Hi Grimm,

I went with the following setup, however the Pro-Color may not be putting out enough light.

front
Aquablue Special
Blue Plus
Procolor
Blue Plus
Procolor

What out of these bulbs would you recommend and how would you place them?

3 ATI Blue Plus
1 UVL Actinic White
1 UVL Super Actinic
1 ATI Aquablue Special
1 Procolor

Have mainly LPS and some SPS place at the top of tank, want to make colors pop, but still provide enough PAR for growth.

Thanks !!
Old 10/26/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Just to clarify I have a TX5 36" Aquactinics fixture.
Old 10/26/2007, 01:18 PM
| ~ |

This combo looks killer on my 24" TX5:

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Coral Light
KZ Fiji Purple
KZ Coral Light
ATI Blue Plus

Position 1, 3, 5 come on first gives a nice blue/red color for morning/evening with the fan. Then 2, 4 come on later for the full spectrum. The design of the TX5 allows for a nice blend of colors even though "whites" are clumped together in middle with the "blues" on the end. Every color pops!