Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Equipment List for A 75 Gallon Reef.

Ok everyone. I am looking for opinions/critiques on the equipment list for my 75 gallon reef. Nothing is purchased, and nothing will be purchased for quite a while, (saving up) so everything is open to change. I am trying to do this on a budget, but understand that there are some areas that you cannot skimp on. If there is anything which you think is cheaply made, or anywhere where you think a more inexpensive item would do the job just as well, tell me.
It's going to be a mixed reef, with SPS in the future. Fish choices aren't really going to affect equipment selection, but I'll list what I've decided as of now.

First fish added will a pair of ocellaris clowns. About a year or so down the road, a mandarin. I have no clue what else, and even though this is not the right forum, any suggestions would be welcome.

So, equipment.

Tank: 75Gallon Reef Ready. Haven't decided glass or acrylic for sure. Probably glass though.

Sump: 30 gallon glass aquarium I have lying around.
It's going to be plumbed:
Skimmer>Return
Return pump: Eheim pump. What model?

Skimmer: Octopus NW Medium skimmer. I forget how that corresponds to the numbers.

Lighting: Aquatinics 5 bulb 48 inch fixture. (Unless anyone knows where I can find Icecap retros that can be shipped to Canada?)

Water Circulation: Two Korilla #? Suggestions? Or maybe one more?

Stand: Homemade: Plans TBD

Controller: Aqua controller Junior
I know I don't NEED a controller, but I feel that have pumps on alternating patterns is better for the tanks inhabitants. And the controller can PH and Temperature as well, so its not much more expensive than a wave maker, a digital thermometer and a PH monitor. Plus its more reliable than the heaters thermostat.
I chose the ACJ over the RKII because of the lunar cycle stimulation. I think its neat.

Do I need a carbon reactor since its going to be a mixed tank? (chemical warfare?)

Also, whats the difference between a phosban reactor and a carbon reactor?

Um, did I forget anything?

Last edited by waterpologirl; 10/20/2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like a good set up. I have a 75 aga mixed reef w/ 40 gal sump/fuge.
I have the following equipment:
Return pump:mag 9.5 (I hear only good things about eheim pumps)
Skimmer:deltec mce 600 (depending on your budget I recommend a deltec or euroreef)
Lighting:coralife 4x65 pc's(I'm thinking of upgrading to T-5's...I've been looking into the catalina solar 6x54 w/programable remote control for "dawn to dusk" effect. Online special for $299.
Water Circulation: ecotech marine vortech pumps (I highly recommend these..see my review in the review forum. I hear a lot of good things about the koralia's though.
Stand: I purchased mine used...It was custom made with 4x4's and simpson strap secured.
I have a phosban reactor by two little fishes and I'm thinking of getting another one to run carbon to run it in series. Basically you can run various media in these reactors...not only phosphate media.
Are you going for a external or internal over flow ? I have a external truvu over flow box that uses 1" pvc pipe into the sump. I believe the flow rate is about 800 gph.
I use pinpoint controlersh,temperature,calcium, etc.
My live stock includes:
2 ocellars clownfish
2 bangaii cardnalfish
1 juvenile yellow tang
1 juvenile kole tang
1 solar wrasse
1 juvenile pygmy flame angel
Hope this helps !
Old 10/20/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

It does, thank you. For skimmers, I chose Octopus beacuse of price. I know that there are better skimmers out there, but the octopus seems to be the best for the lower budget. Korilla, again budget. Internal overflow probably. Again. Its cheaper. Plus, I don't have a lot of space.

Anyone else?
Old 10/21/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

I got my Precision Marine refugium and skimmer (a beckett skimmer), as well as an Iwaki pump for the skimmer and an ocean runner return pump for ~$300 used as a package. It was a pain in the butt to clean that stuff up, but it was worth it.

I have an Aquactinics TX5 on order right now and through e-mail conversations with the owner of Aquactinics, I don't believe an IceCap ballast will be necessary for anything I would want in my tank including SPS corals and clams. Also, the IceCap ballasts will not the TX5> This must be the fixture you're talking about because it's the only 5-bulb 48" fixture on the market.

You said the tank is reef ready; that means it has an internal overflow.

One thing you didn't mention, and this is REALLY important. What are you going to do about purified water? I tried using the local fish store(LFS) for Ro/DI water for a long time. It became a huge pain so I bought my own RO/DI system. I'd highly suggest doing the same. I went down to the LFS and I've got essentially the same set up that they've got now. (Actually, I think mine's a little better!)

As far as the Koralia's go, I think they're great. #2's work really well in my 72.

READ CAREFULLY: The Aqua controller Junior does not come with a pH probe, that is sold separately. The temperature probe however, is included from what I just read on their site.

Then, of course we have the question of how you're going to handle carbonate hardness/calcium/ph, etc... I'll leave that for someone else. I'm still new (been doing this for about 2 1/2 years now)
Old 10/21/2007, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

i have a 75aga mixed reef that is stocked with:

eheim 1260 return ( I probably could have gone with the 1250)
euro reef rs80 extruded skimmer
vortech wireless
tunze nanostream 6025
phosban reactor
odyssea 48" MH 250w (with icecap ballasts, phoenix bulbs)

as for livestock
yellow longnose butterfly
pair of true percs
6 line
ywg
bartlett anthias
neon goby
flame angel

hope this helps in terms of comparisons!
RS 80 Promo
Vortech WWD
Tunze 6025
Eheim 1260 Return
DIY Auto Top off
8G Fuge
aqua uv 15w
Old 10/21/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

It does.

See, when I make lists like this, I always forget things.

RO/DI is going to be a 75 gpd unit from www.thefilterguys.biz

I know that the ACJ doesn't come with the PH probe. Premium aquatics has a package for 300$ that includes the probe.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Bump
Old 10/22/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else?
Old 10/22/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

FWIW, here is what i have learned with my 75 gal. -

Tank- i went perfecto, i think hte corner overflow allows for easier rockscaping and flow control.

Sump: size of sump is ok, if thats what you have around. I would get an eheim 1262, and if you run it external it will save you heat and also allow you to have a very small return section so you can maximize fuge space

Skimmer: Octos are good, i use an ASM G3 but it was cheaper when i bought it.

Lighting: T5's save me on heat, i love them. Definately overdrive bulbs for sps imo.

Water Circulation: I have 2 Hydor #4's, a Tunze 6045 nano and the Eheim is 898gph minus head loss and i don't even have sps. IMO you chould check out some bigger Tunze's or plan on quite a few Hydors

Stand: I had one built by a local reefer, came out much better than store bought ones.

Controller:I think a controller is a must. Aqua controller Junior is a perfect choice, just make sure you get teh DC8 or x10 mods.

Do I need a carbon reactor since its going to be a mixed tank? (chemical warfare?) I would get 2 phosban reactors, 1 with phosban and one with carbon. Two little fishes works great, but other ones do too

"Um, did I forget anything?"- The one piece of equipment i will never be without is an auto top off. Provides much greater stability for your system.

HTH, LMK if i can help some more
Old 10/22/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, that really does help. Ive heard the two phosban reactors suggestion twice, so I'll go with that. How do you fit them in the stand though?
Old 10/22/2007, 08:00 PM
Moved On

Actually you chose wisely on the Octopus NW skimmer. It will skim much better than an expensive HOB Deltec MCE600. Infact most insump skimmers will.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:04 PM
Moved On

Oh one more thing. Don't go overboard with the return pump. Too powerful of a return pump can cause a micro bubble issue. You need at most 400gph max. for that 75g, much less would be my preference (I have 2 Maxijet 900's as returns for my 125g)
Old 10/22/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks! I was having trouble sizing the return pump.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:11 PM
Moved On

For cheaper options of circulation pumps look to a couple Maxijet 1200 pumps and one of these

They work very well and create a ton of flow, more than the Koralia, Tunze nanos, or SEIO. Flow is compared to a Tunze 6100.

http://tritonaquatics.com/index_files/TheGulfStream.htm

http://www.algaefree.com/sure_flow.html (make sure you order the new high flow kit that puts out 2000+gph and not the 1600 ones)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1200200

So unless you must have controllability, I would go wityh one of the above instead.
Registered Member

Also take into account head loss in your pump. The eheim 1262 is 898gph @ 0 head ft. When i cantacted Eheim they said it was around 500 with 4-5 ft of head loss, i think that's what most of us have.

Go with the 1262(it's only a few more$$ thn the 1260) and just put a "y" coming off the output. Then put a valve on one end of the "y" and use it to feed you phosban reactors, that will save you a few $$ buying pumps to run those. the valve will allow you to dial down the 1262 to wherever you want. FWIW i run my 1262 wide open @ 4.5feet and have no micro bubbles.

Phosban reactors hang inside the sump on the lip of the sump. Remember tho, carbon needs higher flow rate. Carbon should tumble, phosban should just barely "boil" on the surface.
Registered Member

dbl post.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:13 PM
Moved On

Look into the OceanRunner pumps as well for returns. They work very well (as well if not better than Eheim), are more efficient than Eheim (re: less wattage used), and are cheaper to boot.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

You can hang them off the side of the aquarium or if you don't have much room you can build some type of platform to place them on.
Old 10/22/2007, 08:31 PM
Moved On

Here's my "sort of" build thread to give you some ideas also on the stand/light hood/etc...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1217418
Old 10/22/2007, 09:19 PM
Moved On

well here is my 2 cents

i have a 75g a 1200gph return thats goes to a "T" and barely pushes water through 3/4" pvc. i also dont think overdriving the t5's are a must for sps, i have a 6 bulb tek with sps growing on my sand and my lights are about 6" off the water. i have the hydor 4's for extra flow and the 25-30 different types of sps are doing just fine. if you can get an external pump you will save on heat transfer but my mag 12 isnt that bad. one thing i didnt see is a refugium. i am a big fan and think they are a nice addition. i don't run carbon, well very rarely i will but i do run a phosban reactor and they do work wonders. HTH and you are off to a good start.

I didn't see a calcium reactor on that list anywhere. i run a schuran jetstream and its AWESOME!!
Old 10/23/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

I am having a refugium. I guess I wasn't very clear. I thought about a Calc reactor. I thought i would add it later, because I'm probably not going to be need THAT much calcium for a while, so I might buy one later.
Old 10/24/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Anyone?
Old 10/24/2007, 07:38 PM
Moved On

Anyone what? Did you ask something else?
Old 10/24/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

LOL, sorry. I just want everyone's opinion. It's sort of a big investment for me, so I want to do it right.
Old 11/04/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Sure I can tell you about my 75 gallon reef.
75gallon reef glass with live rock and rock found at the beach, I have about 2 inches of crushed florida coral as the substrate. (tank was orininally plumbed for a closed circuit undergravel system). Plus i added a side "U" tube overflow which drains into the 20 gallon fuge with a SeaClone Protein Skimmer scps 100. then flows to the fuge - over some bioballs then throught a mat and pumped back into the tank with a Rio 2100. For lights I have 4 power compacts 2X65K and 2X420nm actinics. I recently added 2XCoralife 50/50 power compacts one on each side. I have the power compacts come on 1-2 hours before the 4xpower compacts and go off 1 hour after. I also have 12X blue moon leds that come on for 8 hours at night. I have a 65K flood lamp from home depot that stays on 24/7 over my sump. My tank temp stays about 80F. Pumps. I have 2X Hydro Koralia 1 pumps, one power sweeper and another haygen aquaclear pump in the tank for extra circulation which one of the koralias comes on at night and come off during the day.. I have been very lucky to grow some hard stony coral (i believe) if your interested I can get some pics up tomorrow.
Fish I have 4 damsels (trying to capture 2 dominos)
yellow hawiian tang
fake clown.
2 pepermint shrimp
serpant star fish
Banded Coral Shrimp
scarlet and blue hermit crabs
snails
queen conch

torch coral
frogspawn
platting coral
maidens hair
some hard polyp coral-easily broken if touched and grows almost like an antler (anyone know the name) color is light brown
kanyee tree (misspelled)
Purple Brush and ribbon Gorgonian
red mushrooms
2 types of xenia
2 types of star polyps

I think thats it. I'll get some pics. I need to show off and get some advice on my progress.

Hope this helps.