Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

will this fish mix work in my 75g reef?

I am still in the setup stages of my 75 gallon reef tank. it has a 2 inch deep aragonite sand bed and it will have around 100lbs of live rock.

what I want to add are 4-6 red firefish, 1 yellowheaded jawfish (i might need a deeper sand bed for him) and a pair of percula clowns with an anemone.

the corals in the tank will be things like soft corals and mushrooms. simple things like that to start off with. I also will have various snails, hermit crabs, and maybe some brittle stars.

will those firefish get along? I have heard that they like to school, and I have heard that they sometimes dont get along.

I also want to add a mandarin dragonet after the tank has been running for 6 months to a year.

what else can I safely add to a 75? will a single or pair of yellow tangs work? what would be a good wrasse to add for pest control? should I just stop there with that mix so I dont overcrowd the tank?

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 10/02/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

I've got 2 purple firefish,perc. clown,blennies gobies and a dusty jawfish couple others..no problems

want to add a potters and another clown
Old 10/03/2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

The firefish wil be fine as juveniles, then likely start fighting as they mature. Be prepared to remove some later, of just get a pair from the start.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 10/03/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Just be sure you don't get the Green Brittle Star. They are highly preditory and I believe a preditor to the jaw fish.
Old 10/03/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

2 yellew tangs may be rough they are a bold somewhat aggresive fish one will work but i am affraid even if introduced at the same time they will eventually fight in a tank of your size and you may lose one. if you do get a yellow make sure he is the last fish introduced i made the mistake of putting in a flame angel after the yellow tang was established and the flame angel was killed. a school of blue green chromis make a great display or a dwarf angel like a flame angel would be ok
Old 10/04/2007, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

thanks for the tips

any ideas on a good wrasse that stays kinda small and non agressive?

I will probibly just go with 1 yellow tang. but it wont be added for a while. I want to make sure there is plenty for it to pick at before I add one.

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 10/04/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Sixlines are cool and help control pests. They are extremely active and swim in the open.
Old 10/04/2007, 05:42 PM
Conforming Non-Conformist

Carpenters flasher wrasses are beautiful, active, peaceful, and can be kept in groups.