Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2005, 06:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drano
Revere Beach. The year I moved to Lynn, MA, was the year of the Blizzard of '78. Revere Beach had an amusement park until that winter. The whole thing washed away in that blizzard!

Ah, the Blizzard of '78. I remember it well. No school for three weeks and the National Guard coming in to help.

By the way, I still remember the roller coaster at the beach. we would hang down there all the time. Of course it was the tail end of it's existence but still cool. Now the beach and it's condos look like downtown Baghdad or a prison complex.
Old 10/26/2005, 07:33 AM
cubed

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawain1974
Hmmm....gotta love insomnia.

We find out tomorrow evening if we're going to have to put down my chocolate lab. Her legs and hips keep giving out on her, and she's been on various medications, but they aren't helping and she's getting worse. If the vet doesn't give us much hope, then we're going to end her misery tomorrow night. Parents say that the final decision is mine, but I know I'll have to do what I have to do.

Anyways, here's a pic of my baby:

Awww Les, I'm so sorry. We are dealing with the exact same situation with our 14 year old black lab. She's blind, both her hips are shot and she no longer walks with them, but rather hops her two back legs along at the same time. She still eats, but has gotten painfully thin. I'm not sure she'll make it through the winter. I hate having to make this decision. We've done it twice before over the years, but it's never an easy one to make.

My heart goes out to you.
Old 10/26/2005, 07:40 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Thanks, Sugar. Mocha is only 9 years old, but her hips and joints are shot. She's gotten overweight in the last year or so, but her diet is very restricted, and she's still gained the weight. So, we'll have to wait and see what the vet says.
Old 10/26/2005, 07:57 AM
Moved In

Sorry about your pooches guys!

So I see the secret is out!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/26/2005, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

I hope I can help ease a decision that you don't want to make. I had a black lab (in 2004) that had an uncurable cancer. She swelled up twice her size from fluids building up in her stomach. She seriously looked like a little heffer.
The last time we had her checked out at the vet, the cancer was only getting worse and no medicine or no amount of money was going to spare her life. (We kept her at home as long as she could still walk and play, but time came when that became impossible).
My ex husband brought her back home, gave her a little bath, brushed her and spent the night with her outside in the grass (warm summers in NM in July) cuddled up. Shyanne slept with him all night side by side.
The next day, we took her to the veterinarian and had her euthanized, we both had made peace with the fact of life and knew that we were sparing her any more pain and agony from the sickness. Shyanne knew and she looked at us both in the eyes and gave us that *It's ok* look.
Obviously we had her put on some tranquilizers first to keep her calm and when she became rather lethargic, the vet euthanized her, on the floor, in our arms. It took literally 5 seconds, she was at peace.

Making this decision was tough because Joe and I were right in the middle of our divorce, of course it was ALL MY FAULT because I was leaving and we couldn't save Shyanne because our family was breaking up (we only had dogs & cats...that was our family). He was in such denial that her cancer was not curable with ANY medicine. Unfortunately in this stressful time, Joe could only blame me, because I was moving away and we would no longer be married. Of course it was my fault...but life as a married couple was over and we were faced with an even worse decision about Shyanne in all of this bad timing. I was so numb to it, but I was also mature and could see the light ahead of me, knowing it was the best decision for her. I made peace with her.
Sometimes we have to make these decisions that we don't want to. But if your animal is ill or hurting, and quality of life is over as they know it, then you need to put the animals needs first and make that decision to let them rest in eternal peace. They will cross the Rainbow Bridge and go play with their other furry friends.
You will not go to hell for ending their lives, sometimes we feel so empty and horrible inside because we can in fact make this heart wrenching decision. Make peace with your friend, spend that day together, let them dig in the trash, let them harass the cat! Tell them you love them, look in their eyes...they will tell you when they are ready.
Speak with your vet before hand, so they are aware of your decision. And if necessary, prepare for whatever it is you will do afterwards; ie cremation, burial, etc.

I don't mean to be so straight forward about this situation that you both are facing at some point, you just have to ask yourself; did I provide a loving home with everything my animal needed? Did they have quality of life?

Bless you both; Les and Adrienne, for I understand this painful time.
Old 10/26/2005, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
So I see the secret is out!
which one??
Old 10/26/2005, 08:25 AM
cubed

God love ya Tanya. You made me cry.
Old 10/26/2005, 08:37 AM
Moved In

Our hideout!

Old 10/26/2005, 08:50 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Our hideout!
We've just been staying quiet.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 10/26/2005, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

I have a short tale I'd like to share...just because at the moment I need to talk about it now...

My first dog was *Rollie* - a 1.5 year old Dalmatian that was tied to a dog run most of his young life. I saw an ad in the paper for a *bad dog, must get rid of* and I always wanted a Dalmatian (this was back in 1995). We took him in, he was such a sweetheart...a terror at first, but became my kid, ya know!?! My first dog I had ever had in my life, I was about 22 or 23 at the time, we had just bought our first home.

Rollie was slightly retarded, I say that in a funny way, because he was a nut, but he became my best friend. By 1997, we had 3 Dalmatians and a black lab. Rollie, Libby, Rowdy and Shyanne (black lab).
Life was good, all was well, until 2003, when I came home from school and was told that someone had shot Rollie in his outdoor kennel. I was devastated more than you could possibly imagine. We never did find out who did it, but I had my suspicions. Rollie was an ignorant barker...barked a lot...but I loved him nonetheless and we tried to control the barking the best we could.
When I was going to school, I also worked full-time and had a lazy husband that never held down a job. I spent most of my afternoon's studying, rather than being outside with my dogs and playing, etc. I would go outside and feed them, give them fresh water, etc. It was a bad week during mid-terms that I barely had time to do just that and Rollie and I used to play EVERYDAY, even if it was for a short walk and a little lovin out in the grass, throw balls and toys and play fetch.
That week it was bad, I kept telling Rollie *tomorrow*, *tomorrow*, *this weekend*; that we'd play. I never got those days because he was gone.
You want to talk about guilt? The guilt that school was more important then playing for a few minutes? I never got to tell him I loved him with a hug, we never threw that last ball or toy, we never rolled around in the grass. That my friends; is GUILT!

I was so devastated that someone could do this to my dog...no one ever came to talk to me about his barking being a nuisance or that it bothered them to the fact that they would take action....cowards they are, for shooting him and leaving him for dead.

When we buried Rollie out at the Lake at my father in laws home, I had to come to grips with the situation. I could say nothing to Rollie that would ease the pain of the guilt I was feeling, for not playing or giving him that last hug. I wrote him a letter, put together a box of toys and some things of mine and buried them with him, it was the ONLY thing I could do to ease some pain.

I believed that Rollie would come see me somehow someway...someday. It wasn't until I lived in Michigan, last summer, I walked outside my apartment building to go take my laundry down to the washers and dryers, when I heard Rollie's distinct BARK! I HEARD IT! It was a sign, that he in fact forgave me after over a year since his death. I finally felt peace that day and was able to forget the guilty feelings that I had had for so long. I'm yet to hear Shyanne.

Lesson learned: always take the time to tell your dog or cat you love them and take that few minutes to play and throw a ball or whatever they enjoy!

I don't mean to sound so methodical or philisophical - OR dreary when both Sugar and Les are trying to decide how best to handle their own situations. I just had to share this story.
Old 10/26/2005, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Our hideout!
OH, I can fix that!!!
Old 10/26/2005, 09:02 AM
Moved In

Old 10/26/2005, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

stepping out for a bit...I love you guys
Old 10/26/2005, 09:14 AM
Moved In

See ya later!

Old 10/26/2005, 10:44 AM
forever newbie

Les, I am so sorry you have to go through this. I too had to make a decision for my cat Skippy. She had breast cancer. The vet operated and thought he got it all out. Turned out he didn't. That 1 surgery did give us another yr. but towards the end she got open. bleeding sores. I stayed with her when the vet gave her her final shot. She was 13 yrs. old and I had her since she was a kitty.
I also went through this with my minature schnauzer, Scoopy who I had since she was a pup. She gave me and my family 9 yrs. of devotion.
My point, Les, is that being an animal lover it is our duty to treat our animals with love and respect even if that means making sure they no longer suffer.
Old 10/26/2005, 10:47 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Thanks, Tanya and Debi!

I don't have a problem letting Mocha go, since I definitely don't want her to suffer solely for our benefit. I just want to know that this is the right time. At what point does it become too much for the animal to bear? I'm resigned to the fact that unless the vet thinks he can come up with another treatment that will show some significant improvement, it's her time.
Old 10/26/2005, 10:49 AM
Medieval French Monkey

You're right Peggy...it's my responsibility to be certain that she doesn't suffer unnecessarily.
Old 10/26/2005, 11:15 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawain1974
Thanks, Tanya and Debi!

I don't have a problem letting Mocha go, since I definitely don't want her to suffer solely for our benefit. I just want to know that this is the right time. At what point does it become too much for the animal to bear? I'm resigned to the fact that unless the vet thinks he can come up with another treatment that will show some significant improvement, it's her time.
Well sometimes it's hard to separate our heart from reality when it comes time for this kind of decision. It also takes time to realize you did the right thing.

Old 10/26/2005, 11:28 AM
Monkey

tagging along
Old 10/26/2005, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear of this Gawain, it's a sad position to face.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 10/26/2005, 11:57 AM
no pig 2 big

Les and Adrienne sorry for what you have to go through...

11/4/04 I went through the same thing with my 4 y/o Chessie, Samson. He went into Renal failure and nobody could figure out why. It was the hardess thing to do in my life to date. I stayed with him while the vet did what she was asked to do. It happened real quick, he went from 90lbs to 65 in less then 2 months. I made the decision after he couldn't get up from the couch to great me at the door when I came home. I knew it was time. I could have pushed it for another 2 months or so, but I knew the time was now to let him go and you will too.

And damn Tanya you need to post warnings on stuff like that. It is not good for me to shed a tear at work.... Very moving dear!
Old 10/26/2005, 01:32 PM
PARC Member & Reef Monkey

Les and Adrienne, I am so sorry to hear about your pets. I am the biggest sap that there is when it comes to animals and your tales (and Tanya's) break my heart as I know your pain and can only give you my sincere thoughts of goodness.

As Tanya knows, I lost my baby (Cuddles) just about two years ago. I struggled with the decision and actually saw my husband shed a tear for "that stupid cat". We begged the vet (a very well known pet hospital in the area) not to let her suffer and to put her down if she was, but spent the money to try to make her better. I honestly wish I would have been stronger and more assertive, because she went downhill over the week and I didn't get to say goodbye. I agree with Tanya--give your pets and your hugs. Spend some quality time and then do what needs to be done--either way. Don't regret it later.

OK, I have to go now, as it isn't one tear here. Luv ya all too!
Old 10/26/2005, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kgallich
And damn Tanya you need to post warnings on stuff like that. It is not good for me to shed a tear at work.... Very moving dear!
I don't know how much more warning I could have given than from the first few lines of the posts Sorry...

Was this just not a *group moment* or what ?

That's why I love you guys!!
Old 10/26/2005, 02:34 PM
no pig 2 big

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliaddik
I don't know how much more warning I could have given than from the first few lines of the posts Sorry...

By then it was too late, I had to read it....

I was thinking along the lines of a big flashing neon sign that read.... "Warning you will cry ahead!"
Old 10/26/2005, 02:39 PM
PARC Member & Reef Monkey

So beautiful day outside isn't it?