Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2005, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Redheaded Fairy Wrasse

I introduced a Redheaded fairy wrasse to my tank 2 wks. ago. Also in the tank (140 gal) are a yellow tang, pair of maroon clowns, royal gramma, firefish, 3 chromis, and a 6-line wrasse. The problem is the 6-line. It has been aggressive with the redheaded fairy, though is not otherwise aggressive. The fairy has been in hiding ever since. The good news is that it continues to eat well, coming out during feedings, then being driven back into hiding by the 6-line.

It is clear to me that the only way to get the 6-line out (and let the fairy get established) would be to break down and remove all the rockwork and corals. Not an enticing option.

Is there a chance that with more time, the fairy will get less frightful? Any other options to improve the situation?

thanks

tom
Old 08/07/2005, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Hopefully you have high walls around the tank, I'm thinking since your running MH you don't have a cover...wrasses love to jump out I lost a sixline to the carpet beast and almost lost a Long-finned fairy wrasse. I would just see what happens I have noticed aggression usually lasts about 2-3 days and everything goes back to normal(hopefully) and a cover in the meantime would be a good idea.
Old 08/07/2005, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

If it's already been 2 weeks, I don't think it is likely to stop. 6-lines are known for harassing fairy wrasses. Maybe if you move the rock around in the tank it would make it better - make the fairy wrasse on equal footing as the other fish as they all would have to find new territories.
Old 08/07/2005, 08:04 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

I had put a Iridis Wrasse and Redheaded salon Wrasse togeter...Iridis first, and the usualy timid Salon Wrasse attacked the Iridis. After awhile, the were better but I moved my Salon Wrasse because my Raccoon butterfly hated him
6-lines can be aggresive little buggers.
What a pain to break down the tank and Wrasses are so hard to catch! You may have to pull the 6-line out for awhile. I f you decide to do that drain at least half the wter , or you will have flying Wrasses!
Old 08/07/2005, 09:22 PM
Moved On

I was gonna get a 6 line tomorrow thinking about not now??
Old 08/07/2005, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 08/07/2005, 10:03 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

Quote:
Originally posted by dlemons1
bump
Are you rearranging this forum?
Old 08/09/2005, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice so far...
Status still unchanged. Redhead comes out and eats...Stays out for a while if I intimidate the 6-line. Still looking ok, but obviously not great.

Any thoughts about use of a "fish trap"
Old 08/13/2005, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

I would.
Can be a real pain and take quite some time though.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd