Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Help with Rocordia please (Newbie)

I purchased an existing system with a green Ricordia that hadn't been doing too well. It has stayed the same size for the last month, and is light-colered and somewhat transluscent. I have it under a 175 watt 15k Iwasaki with 110w VHO super actinic. I had it half-way down, and then moved it to the bottom about a week ago. I also tried it under the other MH lamps. I think one is 15k XM, and the other might be 10k something. I will be replacing these lamps soon. My water is Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate about 13, Ph 8.2, Calcium 380. Flow is low to moderate depending upon which pumps I have on (Ocean Runner 3500 for return, and Dart closed loop on sometimes). Anyway the Ricordia hasn't really responded to moving. I have also tried spot-feeding it with TLF Zooplan and Mysis etc. It has now detached from its rock. Any suggestions on what to do? If I turn the closed loop back on it will probably get moved around the tank (it hasn't been in direct flow). Thanks for any help.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:56 PM
Zoanthid collector

I would put it on a small rock and cover loosely with netting. Place in a low light area and just be patient. Check to see if it is attached in a week or two. The color could take weeks/months to come back.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks dc. Would "low light" mean at the bottom of the tank, or in the shade?
Old 12/29/2007, 02:30 PM
Zoanthid collector

I would just put it in the sand and off to the side, (not directly under a halide)
Old 12/29/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot. In fact, it has come to rest in a place just like that, so maybe it will just stay there. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks again.