Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Hybrid cars? Drive one?
I've driven one---I'd buy one. 23 56.10%
I've driven one---I wouldn't buy one. 5 12.20%
I don't trust the technology. 6 14.63%
What's a hybrid car? 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06/22/2006, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

I guess i am like that, when i go to Wendys i order the most expensive combo and Biggie Size to show off
Old 06/22/2006, 02:27 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by ediaz
I guess i am like that, when i go to Wendys i order the most expensive combo and Biggie Size to show off
Old 06/22/2006, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
I could care less what people I don't know think about what I drive. What is important to me is my family. And with me being the provider, I need to find a way to provide as much as possible.

Let me ask this to anyone that finds visual appeal important

Would you eat some scrambled eggs infront of everyone for a couple bucks that looks like this?

Or would you buy an omelette that costs $15 to impress the people you are eating it in front of?

I'm not trying to be hasty or rude here. I just don't understand and would like to. I guess it's just how I grew up.

Whos gives a pie hole?? if it taste good, i will chow on it and I don't give a damn for the other people's opinion.

It is not important what you drive, it is how you drive for your family.
Old 06/22/2006, 02:49 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by piberoptikz
Whos gives a pie hole?? if it taste good, i will chow on it and I don't give a damn for the other people's opinion.

It is not important what you drive, it is how you drive for your family.
Now dat's shwat I'm Shayin'!
Old 06/22/2006, 05:04 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a car I felt was ugly. Just like I wouldn't buy clothes I thought were ugly or a home I thought was ugly.

It has nothing to do with other people - I have to look at it!

Anyway, I'd possibly buy a hybrid if they came out with a very nice looking one, but am not impressed with the current offerings.

Crystal
Old 06/22/2006, 10:09 PM
Team RC Member

Subaru's coming out with one...in the best of all worlds they'd hybridize the Forester, but it's probably too heavy.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/23/2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

If I could buy a new car tomorrow, it would be a Jetta TDI. I like the idea of the hybrids, but who knows what'll be involved in keeping one for 200k?

Dan
Old 06/23/2006, 12:29 AM
Monkey

Sell me a home kit that will turn water into hydrogen cheaply and a $2000 kit that will change any car into a hydrogen powered car - and THEN we're talking....
Old 06/23/2006, 01:29 AM
Team RC Member

I would think that the hybrids would have less of the sort of engine wear that ends up limiting the life of non-hybrids, the wear on mechanical gas-combustion parts that are a pain to replace. Only the drive train would seem to be active when the electric function is running. Where I'd think there might be future problems is in the system that transfers braking friction to charge the battery...that sounds like the major heat-up point of actual mechanics peculiar to the hybrid electric function.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/23/2006, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesurq
Sell me a home kit that will turn water into hydrogen cheaply and a $2000 kit that will change any car into a hydrogen powered car - and THEN we're talking....
I don't think we can look forward to that--the hydrogen would combust as soon as it was injected into the cylinder. Rotary engines are capable of running both and Mazda is starting to lease hydrogen/gas cars in Japan. You can press a button at a stoplight to switch to the gasoline tank if you're running low on hydrogen.

If we actually do move towards a hydrogen economy (questionable, at best), they'll be the only automaker to have that flex-fuel capacity.

Dan
Old 06/23/2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkS
Try updating the poll. I've never driven one, but I would buy one.
me too - had a client who owned a Prius (sp?) & he loved that car

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 06/24/2006, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Hello. We bought a 2006 Highlander Hybrid when they first came out last year in August so have had it almost a year. We got the base model, not the Ltd. The hybrid base model has a lot of upgrades from the regular base model which you need to take into account when comparing the price of the two. We really like it & have no regrets whatsoever. It's my husband's car but I drive it too when we go on trips. When he tracks the mileage he says he's getting about 27-28 usually, although he has gotten 30 but not often. We've put 15,000 mi on it so far.We're retired so we're not putting heavy mileage on it commuting.

The engine does cut off on the highway when you're coasting but that's not often at highway speeds unless you're going downhill. Incidently, this car has PLENTY of power. Consumer Reports mag has consistently top-rated the Highlander Hybrid when comparing mid-size SUVs. We are very careful in residential areas when pedestrians, children on bikes, joggers, etc. are ahead because we fear they don't know we're behind them.

It was kind of scarey just plunging in & buying this new technology, but we figured the Prius has been out for several years & is still getting good feedback. We know someone who's had a Prius a few years & he loves it.We also tried the Escape hybrid but it was just a little too small for us. Rita
Old 06/24/2006, 07:02 PM
Team RC Member

Interesting to know.

I did check the Subaru hybrid plans. They're going with something peculiar: they're running both engines constantly, and the purpose of the little electric unit sandwiched in the middle is going to be to take over during the haul when a gasoline engine starts up and gets into motion. It's innovative. It answers how it would work on the highway. There's no way to know the mileage it will get in operation.
It's to be released in limited edition in Japan first. I'll be interested.
I live in the land of ice and snow, and a Subaru keeps going when everything else is in the ditch: we cross Snoqualmie Pass to get to Seattle, and that's 'interesting' in heavy snow. Subaru: no problem. I'm not sure how a Prius would handle it. So it's a question, a really difficult question, in the year I finally trade Ol Paint in.

Old 06/24/2006, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

When they make one that sounds like my 5.9 liter Magnum with headers and flowmaster exhaust I'm all over it!
Old 06/24/2006, 09:26 PM
my member is registered.

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
There's another hazard. Some of the batteries that they are working on for electronic and hybrid cars are well sealed and rather safe, but if one was to leak/crack/explode, the devastation would be huge compared to a regular car explosion. I can't remember the details or the type of battery, though. Imagine what would happen with a terrorist car bomb. Or if they had those in Iraq right now
i believe you are thinking about Hydrogen power. Big difference between hydrogen power and hybrid ( gas/electric ). Hydrogen fuel cells contain thousands of PSI of pressure, not to mention hydrogen is highly combustable and flammable, but yes with the combined pressure and the nature of hydrogen gas, it would make a big explosion, Mercedez has released a few hydrogen test cars in europe i believe. But batteries can blow up as well.
Old 06/24/2006, 09:27 PM
my member is registered.

Quote:
Originally posted by DHyslop
I don't think we can look forward to that--the hydrogen would combust as soon as it was injected into the cylinder. Rotary engines are capable of running both and Mazda is starting to lease hydrogen/gas cars in Japan. You can press a button at a stoplight to switch to the gasoline tank if you're running low on hydrogen.

If we actually do move towards a hydrogen economy (questionable, at best), they'll be the only automaker to have that flex-fuel capacity.

Dan
like i said, Mercedez has already released hydrogen test vehicles in europe. Also hydrogen refilling stations. I did a whole research project on it when i attended aai.
Old 06/24/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

If the hybid cost 3 or 4K more, and gets 20% better milage, it will take a lot of fuel (even at $3) to recoup the price difference. If you keep the car for 5 years, or if you drive 20k per year - then you might come out ahead. Otherwise you won't. Then take into account the long-term reliability.
Old 06/24/2006, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

I've got my eye on one on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. 38mpg city - 40mpg highway. Who would have ever though a full size family sedan would achieve those numbers.

Old 06/24/2006, 10:18 PM
Team RC Member

That's why I'm driving the [paid for] one I've got, which is a perfectly fine car. I do drive about 20000 a year, but even so, paid for is paid for. I think I'm going to hear the reviews on the Subaru hybrid: they could have a good idea, or not. The Insight and the Prius both get over 50 mpg, and I'd like to see that kind of difference. When we travel, we have Stuff, and I don't know if we could fit us, the cats, and the suitcases into a Prius. We're just real comfy with the Forester, which can get 26-28 if you're careful.

Old 06/24/2006, 10:18 PM
Team RC Member

Nice looking car, that Camry.

Old 06/24/2006, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmicky41
If the hybid cost 3 or 4K more, and gets 20% better milage, it will take a lot of fuel (even at $3) to recoup the price difference. If you keep the car for 5 years, or if you drive 20k per year - then you might come out ahead. Otherwise you won't. Then take into account the long-term reliability.
Local TV station did a report that came to the same conclusion. If you are buying a hybrid car to save money on fuel - you might not ever save enough money to justify the purchase. Me, I would rather be in my SUV when I get rear ended by an 18 wheeler.
Old 06/24/2006, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

We have a Honda Insight 2002 and I get abou 53-58 mpg depending on how I drive. The engine shuts off when you are at a stop and goes again when you let the brake off to save gas. You can switch it to not do that if you don't like that feature.
It is a rather light and itty bitty car, one thing I don't like about it is that it is REALLY low to the ground. Otherwise, we have been fine with it. I am however, fearful that people won't see me in this small car and smash right into me.
Old 06/24/2006, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

oops! sorry, I forgot to add that we bought it primarily for mileage and ultra low emissions. Not just to avoid spending an extra 15 minutes twice a week to fill up.
Old 06/24/2006, 11:32 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
never drove one, will not buy one until i have no choice in the matter.....unless they release a real good looking one - jmo
Lexus 400h
Old 06/24/2006, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JmLee
like i said, Mercedez has already released hydrogen test vehicles in europe. Also hydrogen refilling stations. I did a whole research project on it when i attended aai.
I fail to disagree. The Mercedes is a fuel-cell vehicle. The idea with fuel-cells is that the idea that they could power all of our cars in 50 years. I brought up the Mazda in response to the comment about wanting a "transitional" vehicle: one with an internal combustion engine that can run on either hydrogen or gasoline at the flip of a switch. If we start to move toward a hydrogen-based economy we will see many more of those than fuel-cell cars because, well, you don't need to find a hydrogen station every 75 miles.

Dan