Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2007, 08:15 AM
My Life for Aiur!

I haven't had any ill effects yet. Now, I'm only running it in my 2g cube at the moment. I'll have a DSB in my 75g, but that's still one of those projects in the making Now, when I first started my tank, I had a little longer Cyanobacteria bloom than normal, but that is probably because of the purity issues of pulverized limestone. Other than that, all is good. Corals growing, fish living, critters digging, etc.
Old 07/23/2007, 09:54 AM
Addiction??..Obsession??

Thanks Travis, I picked up 200lbs for the 150 project I will be starting. I can't find any info related to concern brought up a few posts ago regarding the possibility of an unknown additive.

Dave

Catch the CRASE - Conference for Reef Aquarists and Saltwater Enthusiasts
Old 07/23/2007, 11:29 AM
My Life for Aiur!

I think getting the generic, agriculture based limestone is going to be fine.
Old 07/23/2007, 05:11 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Originally posted by jjmcat
Has anyone ever used crushed oyster shells?I use to use this to make my rock and plugs.BTW its cheap as well and can be bought at most feed stores.

Anyone?
Old 07/24/2007, 08:41 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Nope, sorry Jarrod. And I probably won't. I'll have to dig up the information again, but crushed oyster shell has elevated amounts of phosphates in them. Of course, this is probably like any other non-pure substrate; you'll have to deal with the impurities and the consequences until they are used up or taken out.
Old 07/24/2007, 08:45 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Jarrod, here is a short read on it (page 5) http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...73#post9171173
Old 07/24/2007, 07:36 PM
OMAS VP

Thanks Travis.I do have a 19 pound piece in my tank that I made out of the oystershells.I wonder if its possible to leach out the phosphates?I was just thinking of the whiter color versus they grayish color of the limestone.
Old 07/25/2007, 08:25 AM
My Life for Aiur!

There is, kinda. Growing macro algae, doing water changes, and running Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders. While you can't just "wash" the stuff and have it all come out, you can use these methods (which most people already use) to take it out as it comes out of the crushed oyster shell. Someone using this in rocks or on the substrate might see an extended microalgae bloom, but just let it run it's course and don't freak out. Even though it is growing and looks unsightly, it won't harm anything (as long as it doesn't overgrow corals). So, let the cyanobacteria/dinoflagellates/diatoms grow, and just syphon them out during a regular water change.
Old 09/28/2007, 02:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanx for the good info and research.

Bill
Old 01/02/2008, 11:29 AM
master of junk mail

How's this coming along for everyone?
Old 01/02/2008, 01:06 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Works great for me. Two tanks so far and three more eventually on the way.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:01 PM
Addiction??..Obsession??

Working great for me as well on my 150. The only bad thing is the amount of rinsing you have to do to get it ready, but at under $5 for 50lbs, I was happy to put in the work

Dave

Old 01/02/2008, 03:57 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by djc1026
Working great for me as well on my 150. The only bad thing is the amount of rinsing you have to do to get it ready, but at under $5 for 50lbs, I was happy to put in the work

Dave
I didn't rinse mine at all. I just made sure to pour the water in very carefully. Now that bacteria has colonized it all, i can stir up the sand without much of a problem.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:12 PM
Addiction??..Obsession??

That's impressive because it took several hours to rinse and it looked like watery quickrete to begin when I started. Turned out just fine, just took a while to rinse

Dave

Old 01/02/2008, 04:18 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
That's impressive because it took several hours to rinse and it looked like watery quickrete to begin when I started. Turned out just fine, just took a while to rinse

Dave
That's really wierd because I've known multiple people that have said it looks like watery concrete, but mine just looks like grey sand compared to the "white" of aragonite. When I first heard this, I wondered if someone accidently got cement since Pavestone makes cement products as well.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:12 PM
Addiction??..Obsession??

In the tank it looks fine, very white with scattered specks of gray and black. I'm talking about the run off water from rinsing it looked like watery concrete.

Dave

Old 01/02/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

FWIW, I used the pavestone and hated it. It was like concrete mix, slushy and muddy, I still have it cloging up my pumps. I rinsed it for hours before I added to my tank. And a few months ago took most of it out. Just my experience, will get crushed coral next time around.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:35 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
In the tank it looks fine, very white with scattered specks of gray and black. I'm talking about the run off water from rinsing it looked like watery concrete.

Dave
Oh I see. Ya, that's a HUGE difference. Mine looks like what your describing, but I didn't have to wash it. I don't know if I just had a good batch or what. My 75g and 2x 2g will have it in there.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Hey Travis,

What exactly is the name of the stuff you used? I am having a hard time finding anything even close. Is it outside with the paving stones or inside?

Kind of off topic, but kind of not.

I am going to put a DSB in my refugium. What are other alternative sands to use if I can not find pulverized limestone? I guess I should say cheap alternatives if you get my meaning. The fuge will be for growing cheato mostly.

Catch the CRASE - 2008
Old 01/03/2008, 04:38 PM
My Life for Aiur!

It's called exactly Pavestone brand "Pulverized Limestone". It's the exact one in the pictures of this thread and featured in my 75g tank build.

Right now it's hard to find because it used in gardening, and well...the weather...you know. If you're in a serious pinch, just gether Natural White color of Reptilite reptile sand by CaribSea. It's the exact same thing as their aragonite reef sand, just packaged in smaller amounts and labelled/marketed differently.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

I have used it for a year now and its done fine by me but I washed the hell out of it because it did look like concrete mix but after several hours of washing and rinsing it worked perfectly well.
Lurker - Everywhere Else there is a reef group!
Old 01/06/2008, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Hey all. Has anyone found this recently? In the crushed instead of powder form? I called my local HD and they only had the powder. Thanks...
Old 01/07/2008, 11:36 AM
King of the Echo People!

Hmm, I had this in my 10 gal, and I never rinsed it out. I just had poured my water into the overflow and let it run down the sides to reduce the sand being kicked up.

After it became colonized, it was fine.

I wonder if some people got bad batches?

I believe Hefner, that you do not want the powder form.

Also, welcome to the board!!!