Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/28/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

Tang questions

I almost posted this in the No Achilles in the 65 thread, but didn't want to take it off topic.

I've never kept a tang because I never thought my 120 was big enough (4' x 2' x 2'). We're now renovating our house and I'm planning a 12' x 2' x 2' tank (with corals), mainly because I wanted to include some tangs in this one. What are limitations as far as stocking goes, in your opinion? I.e., which species should I still leave out?

And, suggestions for what might be a decent show tang? I was thinking Naso, myself. And, for other tangs to go with it (as far as aggression, etc., goes)?

Not ever having had any experience keeping them, I kind of feel like I'm starting over.

So, dreaming about stocking is the fun part. Please, help me out.

Thanks!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 12/28/2007, 12:33 AM
Premium Member

Okay, in the interest of giving you the best idea of the tank space in order to get the best advice, here is roughly what we're planning the tank to look like:

It's going to be a room divider. The small end of the "L" is in my foyer and is intended to draw the viewer on around the corner into the living room. The cut out corner is necessary (according to the engineer) to give room for a support beam.

Thanks!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 12/28/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Totally SWEET! I hope you are planning to keep a journal on your plan. As for tangs you are set, how many gallons will that be? Can my tangs move in LOL!
Old 12/28/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Bring 'em by.

I've estimated it to be a little over 400. I have an aquarium installer coordinating the tank build and move. They looked a little scared when I showed them the plans. Fortunately, the entire back wall of the house and the interior walls that would be in the way will be demolished, so the move should be fairly easy.

But, I still worry about tangs like unicorns, whose max length is supposed to be 2'. The width wouldn't seem to be enough for them, at least. I want to plan for the animals' whole lifespan, even if it's pretty rare for a fish to attain max length in captivity.

Old 12/28/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

wow that looks like a sick looking tank when it gets up you have to do a thread on that tank
Old 12/28/2007, 02:24 PM
Moved On

Have fun and I'm sure you can get almost any tang you like LOL. Make sure you show pics.
Old 12/28/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Honestly the width could be somewhat limiting. If you made it 3ft wide you could keep most anything, but with only 2ft I'd stay away from naso species and perhaps the sohal, too. Other than those, any tang that's going in there is going to be very lucky.
Old 12/28/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, all!

Well, 2' is kind of the negotiated limit (with my lovely bride) and the floor supports have already been engineered and submitted to the city for the weight at this size, so I think I'm pretty much set. Bummer about the nasos. Do they just get too large? I'd heard bad stories about Sohals, so I'd been leaning away from them anyway.

Thanks! That's what I've been looking for.

I'll post up some more questions in a bit, company just came over.

Old 12/29/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

I have a larger Naso, yellow tang and smaller purple tang in my 100gal and they are doing fine. A few squirmishes once in a while, but nothing serious. I've had the purple for so long (8 years) that I had to get larger Naso and Yellow so that he wouldn't kill them. The purple is about 4 (maybe 3.5) in and the Naso/yellow are both about 5.5in. They are big enough that the purple is a little intimidated (he needed to be). I'm moving up to a 220gal, so they will be happier, but they are pretty happy now (eat well, healthy).
Susan
Old 12/29/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

Nice, thanks Susan. How long have you had the naso (i.e., how quickly do they grow)?

Sorry, came down with a cold last night, so having trouble expressing my questions, but I'll try.

I always kept a pretty mellow tank before. I've heard that tangs don't really fit that mold. What sort of things should I be aware of when formulating the stocking plan? Should I avoid more passive species, like firefish, cardinals, etc.? Or will the tank size be enough to mitigate some of those issues?

Sorry. This large tank thing is a whole other world to think about.

Old 12/29/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

The naso would eventually get very big and it would be tough for it to turn around in your tank with the 2ft width.. Any other tangs would be fine. I personally like , achilles, powder blue and purple tangs.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, those achilles are sure pretty.

Sounds good. Thanks (despite the Kings beating the Avs today ).