Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/05/2007, 11:19 AM
King of the white corals

What are the effects of elevated levels of iron in a reef tank??

I would like to know specifically how your fish, corals, and reef health could/would be affected both short and long term if you were to somehow introduce a lot of iron.

Im talking specifically iron rust, but any and all knowledge on the subject appreciated.
Old 09/05/2007, 12:43 PM
RC Mod

This article covers iron in detail:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/chem.htm

Iron rust generally won't be a problem in a tank, for reasons that are discussed in the article. The article on GFOs also covers the issues.

What is the situation at hand?
Old 09/05/2007, 01:07 PM
King of the white corals

Thanks for the reply.

Here is a pic of what gave me cause for concern and wanting to know more specificacally.

The corals all look fine, but when i lifted the pump out of the sump for routine maintenance rusty water and chunks of rust poured out the back of the pump. I wouldnt have even taken off the back cover and looked if the rusty water didnt pour out.

I just hear many people say the rust is no big deal but I wanted to know specifically of how iron is used and what overdosing can cause. In that link he is talking about is a different form of iron than rust, which may be different?? I dont know. He also talks as though he has dosed a large amount.....5 grams in 4 years, but in looking at that pump and in seeing what poured out and how much I wiped off, that surely seems like a signifigantly larger dose than he says is a lot.
That pump is only 5 months old, when it started I dont know.

Here is a reply I recieved on another forum.

"They way Galleon explained it to me under certain circumstances the excess Iron can cause oxygen poisoning in the tissues. I don't remember the mechanism that causes this but it's a slow process over time resulting in a slow steady decline in tank health with none of the usual params showing warning signs "

I would like to know more concernign rust specifically and if anyone can elaborate on what I quoted above.
Old 09/05/2007, 01:11 PM
RC Mod

GFO products, like PhosBan, are rust and don't seem to cause problems, but I'm not much of a chemist, so I might be overlooking something. Unfortunately, the pump is not likely iron, but more likely an alloy, and the other metals in the mix can cause problems.
Old 09/07/2007, 01:36 AM
King of the white corals

Anybody else have anything to offer??
Old 09/07/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

What was the brand/model of the pump ?
Old 09/07/2007, 11:20 AM
King of the white corals

Its an SP4.

Euroreef modded Genx 4100
Old 09/07/2007, 08:19 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

WOW, that is a nasty lookin' pump I have no specific data on what will happen on overdose. Jon posted about the best ref.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 09/07/2007, 09:24 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
WOW, that is a nasty lookin' pump
lol. yeah, I thought so too. That pump was new in box 5 months ago. I wouldnt have even taken off the back cover to find the rust if rusty water didnt pour out of it into the sump when I took the pump out for routine maintenance.

I ran some carbon and pulled a few large water changes a few days in a row when I found it. Just trying to learn a little about what exactly that could cause.

I wont run GFO's as I had a problem with them once, but im thinking that had to release more FE than running gfo ever could.