Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2001, 11:25 AM
I like rocks.

Question Threadfin Goby with which pistol?

Hey all,

Just got a threadfin goby (Stonogobios nemotodes):

and was wondering what kind of pistol (if any) will pair up with it. Tiger? Alpheus randalli? TIA!
Old 08/04/2001, 01:50 PM
I like rocks.

^
Old 08/04/2001, 09:43 PM
I like rocks.

no one knows anything about this little guy?
Old 08/04/2001, 10:01 PM
Reef God

I didn't think it mattered what pistol... I know in the wild they might have a preference, but kinda like clownfishes in captivity... they'll accept different types.

Nick
Old 08/04/2001, 10:04 PM
Reef God

Accoding to scott michael's pocket guide... it's natural shrimp is Alpheus randalli.

Nick
Old 08/04/2001, 10:09 PM
Undecided..Newbie or Guru

According to Baensch pg. 1100

Hab: Central Indo-Pacific and the Philippines. Sandy bottoms 15-25M
Sex: No external differentiating characteristcis
Soc.B: Always live in pairs in symbiosis with the pistol shimp Alpheus randalli

BTW Baensch spells this fish as Stonogobiops nematodes

This was the best pic I could find of one...

Red Striped Pistol Shrimp

Mike
Old 08/04/2001, 10:14 PM
Fish Nutzi

I had a threadfin goby with my tiger pistol shrimp. They got along fine, till the goby got caught in the overflow and the stress of being sucked through was too much.
Old 08/04/2001, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

COOL! Hope you will post some pics. Get the alpheus randalli if you can find him. They're gorgeous!
Old 08/05/2001, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

I have a pair of threadfin gobies & was thinking of getting a pistol shrimp for them but had kind of sworn off any kind of animal that digs. Does the pistol shrimp just dig one hole to live in or does it dig extensively all over the tank? Thanks.

Last edited by rlp; 08/05/2001 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08/05/2001, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

I have a pair of threadfin gobies & was thinking of getting a pistol shrimp for them but had kind of sworn off any kind of animal that digs. Does the pistoal shrimp just dig one hole to live in or does it dig extensively all over the tank?
Old 08/05/2001, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

As far as I know, mine digs only one tunnel... but, it goes all over the tank. Does that help? Only time he is not shoveling is when he's sleeping.

He's a trip to watch! Hey rip... got any photos? I'd love to see your pair of nematodes!
Old 08/05/2001, 12:12 PM
I like rocks.

Yeah this guy was with another one too--although there were like 6 of them in the tank. I may try and get a mate for him later on, but didn't want to waste the money if it turned out he was just hanging out with another threadfin. I am glad they naturally pair up with the alpheus randalli pistols. I like them the best I will try and get some pictures of him up if I can, but I don't have a digi cam and regular pictures have been something of a challenge. Soon enough

He is looking pretty stressed right now. I am going to get some brine shrimp for him to eat at the LFS today and try and make him feel more at home. Right now he is hiding laterally along side the rock.

BTW Jersey--Thanks for pointing that out. The "p" missing was a typo and just didn't think to check for the "a" in nematodes.
Old 08/05/2001, 02:33 PM
Fish Nutzi

They dig a network of interconnected tunnels under the rock. Not all over the tank but usually just in one small area.
Old 08/05/2001, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

No, I don't have a digital camera yet but have had them about a month and after a day or two of hiding, they now spend most of their time hovering in the middle front of the tank near an open brain which they hide under when alarmed. They do not have any aggressive or big tankmates. They eat anything now including flake. I guess I will skip the pistol if they dig that much as I am afraid of it undermining the reef. The only way I know of to get a pair is to buy two who are staying together in the dealer's tank. I have read that if you put two males together (unless it is a huge tank) they will fight to the death. They are wonderful little fish & I would recommend them highly to anyone with a passive, peaceful tank. Thanks.
Old 08/05/2001, 04:42 PM
I like rocks.

Yeah I may try pairing them up a little later. I am going to actively try finding an alpheus randalli now though. Maybe that will ease the little guy's acclimation. I can't believe my luck! I was under the impression they were a little hard to find, especially locally, and I got one! Plus they aren't everyday like perculas are, but they're still very beauitful! I love him already. I need to give hima name
Old 08/05/2001, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Red face

I have a threadfin goby paired along with a tiger pistol in a 20 gallon. I have to warn you that the threadfin comes out only when its feeding time and hides otherwise. As far as the pistol, he digs everywhere and over time you will notice certain features in your tanking sinking a bit. If you can see him, he is pretty cool to watch though.
Old 08/05/2001, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Here's a pic of my pair....

Old 08/06/2001, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

A couple of you have said they're shy & hide all the time. My pair are not at all shy. They stay out all the time, even when I approach the tank or sit with my face practically pressed against the glass. They will dart under the open brain at a sudden movement but come right back out. Could it be that they feel more secure as a pair??
Old 08/06/2001, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

They are absolutly shy as individuals. The shrimp would never come out without the goby.
Old 08/06/2001, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Cool

Hello guys, I've seen these two types of gobies in pictures before, but is "threadfin" a general name for all types of gobies that have a long thin fin on the top? Would it be OK to put them with a jawfish in the tank?
About the pistol shrimp, I guess that is a general name for many different types of shrimps with big claws on them. Is that correct? And since they have these big claws, are they reef safe? And will they eat up other shrimps like peppermint, red blood (or fire), cleaner, etc.?
Thank you in advance for any answers.
Old 08/06/2001, 10:35 AM
I like rocks.

Rolo:

The threadfin is a name reserved for this particular type of goby only (Stonogobiops nematodes). The lady at the LFS called it by another name though. Antenna or antennite goby I think is what she called it. Most other gobies do not have the long "thread-like" fin. You are correct in assuming that there are many different types of pistols. The most common is the tiger pistol, but there are others, like alpheus randalli. They are reef safe and will not prey upon any other shrimp as far as I know. HTH!
Old 08/06/2001, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rolo
Would it be OK to put them with a jawfish in the tank?
Jawfish are NOT gobies as far as I know. They don't normally form symbiotic relationships with shrimp.

However, stranger things have happened!

Old 08/06/2001, 11:07 AM
Fish Nutzi

Where I got my threadfin goby (LFS) they have a goby which looks like the exact same fish except for the pattern. It is basically white with pink patterns instead of the bars on the threadfin. The owner did not know the name other than calling it a "fancy" threadfin. I haven't been able to find a pic of it anywhere - any ideas if this is just a mutation or a different species altogether?
Old 08/06/2001, 02:07 PM

Mr. N,

I'll look in Baensch when I get home...

Mike
Old 08/06/2001, 04:45 PM

Mr. N,

These were the best I could find...It seems that this species is fairly unknown and is widely unidentified

First One

This one is called a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby. However none of the pics I looked idicated it that these are red in color...

Second One

This one is called a Pink Bar GobyThird One

You could also try Fish Database , too many hits for me to look at

Mike

Last edited by JerseyReef; 08/06/2001 at 04:53 PM.