Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2004, 01:53 AM
Propping Monster

Post Update

i just finished w/ fragging again and all is looking pretty good. i finally got my main colony on a rock where i want it. i got a new method for mounting and i'm very happy with the results. also, i've gotten a lot better with using the dremel on thier fragile skeletons. i made four small frags from my mother colony. they're one or two polyps at the most. my lord seems to be one of the faster growing ones so i'm confident they'll be encrusting and growing new polyps soon. when they get up to about 3 polpys i'll trade/sell two of 'em and keep the other two to grow out and make the next batch frags. i don't want to have to cut into my main colony until it gets too big for the rock i mounted it on.

i also fragged the all red lord from john and when all the polyps heal i'll have a 3 polyped frags FT/FS/grow out and a 5-polyped mini colony for myself.

the three polyped Red & Grey lord from Randy ended up having four babies. i didn't like the rock it was on so i fragged it as well. BTW Randy, all the babies made it past my diamond wheel OK. so when the babies grow i'll have a 3 polyped frag FT/FS/grow out and a four polyped piece for myself.

all together i have 9 lords hanging out in my prop tank right now. it looks pretty cool. they take up a whole row by themselves.

i can't wait to see what i get from Chris. in a few months i'll have mine available and i'll be looking to trade again. i still need to get a hold of one with a lot more green and one that's almost all grey.
Old 09/21/2004, 02:12 AM
TRC Leader

Healing after a fragging. Forgot to post this pic.

Old 09/21/2004, 02:35 AM
Propping Monster

ouch! how did you make the frag? and how big was it? you really should get your colony on a rock it can encrust on. lords aren't really a coral for the sandbed.
Old 09/21/2004, 06:11 AM
Moved On

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by MarLooney
i just finished w/ fragging again and all is looking pretty good. i finally got my main colony on a rock where i want it. i got a new method for mounting and i'm very happy with the results. also, i've gotten a lot better with using the dremel on thier fragile skeletons. i made four small frags from my mother colony. they're one or two polyps at the most. my lord seems to be one of the faster growing ones so i'm confident they'll be encrusting and growing new polyps soon. when they get up to about 3 polpys i'll trade/sell two of 'em and keep the other two to grow out and make the next batch frags. i don't want to have to cut into my main colony until it gets too big for the rock i mounted it on.

i also fragged the all red lord from john and when all the polyps heal i'll have a 3 polyped frags FT/FS/grow out and a 5-polyped mini colony for myself.

the three polyped Red & Grey lord from Randy ended up having four babies. i didn't like the rock it was on so i fragged it as well. BTW Randy, all the babies made it past my diamond wheel OK. so when the babies grow i'll have a 3 polyped frag FT/FS/grow out and a four polyped piece for myself.

all together i have 9 lords hanging out in my prop tank right now. it looks pretty cool. they take up a whole row by themselves.

i can't wait to see what i get from Chris. in a few months i'll have mine available and i'll be looking to trade again. i still need to get a hold of one with a lot more green and one that's almost all grey.
Damn, you are now the acan frag PIMP!!! My guy is putting in an application for resale right now for the corals I should be getting from him. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 09/21/2004, 10:56 AM
Moved On

MarLooney,
How are you mounting your frags?

Everyone else,
How much are you guys selling your frags for?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 09/21/2004, 02:59 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by MarLooney
ouch! how did you make the frag? and how big was it?
Just one frag of about 4 polyps. Dremeled off.

Quote:
you really should get your colony on a rock it can encrust on. lords aren't really a coral for the sandbed.
Hmm.. that is not at all my experience. It has been thriving on the sandbed. I'm not anxious to place it on the rock any longer for that very reason. It's been growing and doubling in size darn near monthly. IMHO if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 09/21/2004, 03:08 PM
Moved On

MarLooney,
How is your blue gorgonian doing?
What are you doing to feed it?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 09/21/2004, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Hey..Hey..BIGGUN...This is an Acanthastrea thread...

J/K

John
Old 09/21/2004, 08:38 PM
Propping Monster

Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by mane3215
Damn, you are now the acan frag PIMP!!!
... LOL

i've got my fingers crossed.

BIGGUN, i mount with gel super glue then epoxy to fill in gaps. my newest mounting method involves cutting a hole in the rock so that the polyps are flush with the rock it'll be growing on. i think it looks much cleaner than my other frags.
the blue gorg is dead. i moved it out of the light and it ended up not getting enough flow. i'd like to try again some day when i have a tank set up with an area of very low light & good flow. until then i'll hold off. they're very difficult to keep BTW. keep it acans on this thread too... before john lays the smack down on ya! ..... JK

TippyToex, your colony is doubling monthly!?! i gotta get a frag of that!... and i thought Randy's red & grey grew fast. where do the new polyps grow. acans are encrusting and it has no space left that i see to encrust. also, do you have any pics to show it's growth? that goes for everyone else on this thread. lets see some growth pics. we needa add some flavor to our acan pic posting. i suggested shots with tentacles open, feeding pics, or top shots, but no one posted any.
Old 09/21/2004, 08:55 PM
TRC Leader

MarLooney, from what I can see it's skeleton is grow growing out along the sandbed and not attaching to anything. I'm sure it would be beneficial to place it on the rock work, but honestly I have no desire for it to encrust all over the place. Maybe I'll frag my other acan soon and place it on the rockwork. To see if I am happy with it or not.

I do have growth pictures. Let me see about getting those up soon for ya!

Did you see the reef slides this month? Dr. King has a picture that was posted of his acans feeding tentacles open. A stunning pic!
Old 09/21/2004, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

i keep looking and looking and nothing, they have one at my LFS display tank i been scoping the place out to steal it.
Old 09/21/2004, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Here are two pics of my red and green from Randy. This colony has been in my display tank for a while now so it only get fed at most once a week.

This one from 7-8-04 as you can see in the pic.

This one is today. 2 and 1/2 months later. Please note that the coral in the second pic is not fully open.

John
Old 09/21/2004, 09:11 PM
Moved On

pshhhh, it will grow faster in my tank dude!
Old 09/21/2004, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

lol, picture worth a thousand words dude...post some

John
Old 09/21/2004, 09:28 PM
Moved On

Should i post how awesome my micromussa is turning out? The green stripes int he red outer fluffy part are like killer bright lime green radiating out from the center. Then deep purple centers with a nice different bright green line radiating out from the mouth =).
Old 09/21/2004, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Please do share the pics with everyone Chris....hehe. I give up one that with you though. I don't like waiting especially begging . But I do share though. The proof is the deal with you know who last weekend

John
Old 09/21/2004, 09:37 PM
Moved On

Dude, I am gonna frag it for you this weekend =), that way you can see I'm not bs'ing hehe.
Old 09/21/2004, 09:41 PM
Moved On

Excuse the bad shot =(.

Old 09/21/2004, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Ahhh! Chris is back at work with his camera again. That's more like it. Beautiful piece budy.

John
Old 09/21/2004, 09:46 PM
Moved On

Thanks, but not mine....yet =). If all goes well I shoudl have a nice chunk soon, as will you!
Old 09/21/2004, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Your LORD polyps around the edge should be fragged out to provide a nicer shape of your colony, Chris...Those fragged out polyps should be then shared with your local Acan reefers...;-)

Louis
Old 09/21/2004, 09:54 PM
Moved On

Hahah, DEAL! =).
Old 09/21/2004, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

Sweet corals everyone!!!

Here are 3 of mine. I got these two from RandyO this past January.

Red and grey. I hand fed every polyp of this frag 3 times a week for the first 6 months. Excuse the bad pic. I didn't want to disturb the colony to clean the glass. I'll get a better shot tomorrow.

Another red and grey. I never hand fed this one.

red and green. I also hand fed this one and still do 3 times per week.

Here's the 3 together. The big one in the middle has at least 50 polyps and maybe 100 including the babies.

George
Old 09/21/2004, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Damn George...The red and grey is actually spliling off of the rock there budy. I am gonna make a trip up there this weekend. Any chance I can swing by your place and Tom's place? Please email me.

Thanks

John
Old 09/21/2004, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

The same thing was happening on the other side so I fragged it. I need to cut that side off next.

John,

That should not be a problem. I'll let you know tomorrow.

George