Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/17/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Yuma?

What is the reason for all the trouble in keeping wild collected Yumas. I want to buy some but I am almost convinced that they will not survive and I am better of getting Floridas? Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 11/18/2007, 03:16 AM
living the obsession

From what I've learned, 2nd or so generation rics have the advantage of a track record of surviving in the environments we provide. Wild caught have been through the trauma of being harvested, trans shipped, and changing bags of water several times before they get to us through whatever seller. They can look great 1 day or a week and then crater quickly or they can thrive and be awesome in color and form.

Good luck

The challenge is the fun.
Old 11/18/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone had experience buying for eilte reefs and if so how have you faired. I read in the feedback someone writing that they had very little luck.
Old 11/18/2007, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Over the last 6 months I have bought about 13 yuma's from Elite reefs and they are all doing great and thriving. I will not spend the money anymore to buy the wild yuma's because they just end up melting.
Old 11/18/2007, 04:13 PM
living the obsession

age of tank

Kilo,

Since I love yuma's as well, I asked a couple questions. The other thing I was reminded is tank age is important. Tank needs to have been set up and matured a good while (over 3 months) for yuma's, even more important for wild caught.

The challenge is the fun.
Old 11/18/2007, 04:21 PM
Frag-a-holic

Re: age of tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Lytehouse
Kilo,

Since I love yuma's as well, I asked a couple questions. The other thing I was reminded is tank age is important. Tank needs to have been set up and matured a good while (over 3 months) for yuma's, even more important for wild caught.
Most likely a nutrient thing?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 11/18/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

my tank has been set up for over two years and before that I had the same rock for two more. Another thing is that I thought that Elite Reefs had wild?
Old 11/19/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

i got wild yumas an 2nd an 3rd generation yumas..with no skimmer.. i just keep prams on check an do water changes..how ever i have learned the hard way on yumas..ive had the most trouble with green.. wild or other wise, IME the green ones like less light..but i have also found out they will let you know if they dont like where they are at..

scott
Old 11/21/2007, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

just to chime in.....ime yuma's do best when shunned from light after being brought in. i think it's the sellers' duty (and in his interest) to acclimate them properly after they land. i see my lfs do very very well with yuma survival rates by putting them in a low flow, low light area of the tank for the first few weeks at least.