Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Thanks
Old 05/01/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Well I did the mod last night, I'm not even sure I need my second 6025 in there but of course I will add it. I had to lower the PH and not angle it up at the surface anymore because it will blow the water right out of my tank. Might be doing the wideflow mod, I'm just not confident in my ability to make the stopper mod. Is it as easy as just shaving the nozle down and putting the cap over the end or do I need to cut out the crossbar section and fit it in place? Thanks to those involved in bringing this mod to the community.
Old 05/01/2007, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burton14e7
Well I did the mod last night, I'm not even sure I need my second 6025 in there but of course I will add it. I had to lower the PH and not angle it up at the surface anymore because it will blow the water right out of my tank. Might be doing the wideflow mod, I'm just not confident in my ability to make the stopper mod. Is it as easy as just shaving the nozle down and putting the cap over the end or do I need to cut out the crossbar section and fit it in place? Thanks to those involved in bringing this mod to the community.
Do you plan to put the pump on a timer and switch it on and off? If not then the stopper is not needed.

The wide flow mod will definitely make the flow more gentle and not that forceful, but the fish screen cap will be hard to fit on, once on will be under more stress and can crack later.

As I suggested earlier, after the nozzle is cut sand down the nozzle rim a little, apply black ABS glue evenly around it then press the cap on to make them one unit, that will prevent the cap from cracking.
Old 05/01/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Where is a good place to get the black ABS glue? Is it available at places like home depot and lowes? What brand are you using. I am thinking about doing the wide flow but I need to get some glue.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 05/01/2007, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffyguy
Where is a good place to get the black ABS glue? Is it available at places like home depot and lowes? What brand are you using. I am thinking about doing the wide flow but I need to get some glue.
Yes just the standard cheapo ones. One thing I learned was to use small paint brushes to apply the glue, don't use the one that came with the can it will really mess things up for you.
Old 05/02/2007, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

Good news for you poor 6045 souls!

The larger size euro prop works on the 6045 motor! I just did my test after receiving a new 6045 motor from Roger, and my test results are 1,500 gph at 9W. This was done using my modded (standard and full blast mods) 6055 front cover, which is the same as a 6045 front cover.

Now before you start calling your distant European relatives to order a euro sized prop unit, FYI the 6055 prop is the same un-trimmed size. Of course you can only order the part after it is available from Roger, which can take some time since parts usually start to come in a few months after the pumps are available.

Still I thought you ought to know your extra $30 is not a waste after all. Well actually make that $45 extra since the 6055 prop unit will cost a little over $10 plus shipping charge.

However the best part of the 6045 is it has the built-in stopper, as long as you don't do the wide flow mod, the two rather simple standard and full blast mods will be good enough.

Some observations of the new 6045 motor, it comes with a round power cord not flat one like in the early batch, it also has a stainless steel washer like the 6055, but it is similarly loose so be careful not to lose it. In this case the stainless steel washer is actually very critical, apparently it reduces friction so the larger prop will run smoothly, I tried without the stainless washer and while the pump ran, from time to time the prop would slip and jump. Also it appears we are right at the very threshold of the 6045 motor power to drive the larger prop, so I will not be surprised if occasionally the prop may slip, but it will be simple to resolve by sanding down the blades very slightly. I will put it in my tank later for testing to see if the smooth operation will be consistent or do I need to sand down the prop at all.

Now that I have the 6045 motor, compare it side by side with my 6025, the motor is clearly bigger and heavier. Worth the $30 by weight you think?

Last edited by jacmyoung; 05/02/2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05/02/2007, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

Alright just checked the modded 6045 with the larger prop, still running silently without any hiccups.

Just a quick recap what the maximum we can get from the modded Nanostreams:

6025: 7W, 1,250 gph;
6045: 9W, 1,500 gph;
6055: 19W, 1,800 gph;
6055: 23W, 2,500 gph (warranty voided )

The last one can easily be pushed up to 26W, 2,800 gph.

All watts are motor draw only, the 6055 transformer will add 2 to 4W by my guess.
Old 05/02/2007, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

The 6045 still works fine but the power draw is now 10W after some break in.

I hope Tunze is working on some more Nanostream models, such as a monstrous 3,000gph nanostram controllable pump that draws about 30W, and an updated 6045 that can pump more so it will be well worth the extra $30.

The ball is in their court.
Old 05/02/2007, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
Alright just checked the modded 6045 with the larger prop, still running silently without any hiccups.

All watts are motor draw only, the 6055 transformer will add 2 to 4W by my guess.
Hey jacmyoung,
which mod gives you 1500GPH on the 6045?
According to atdave the best he got from his modded 6045 was about the same as what we got out of the 6025... (1250GPH)
Did I miss something?

[edit] Yep, sorry, I missed the comment above on the european version prop. BTW, how did you measure the 1500GPH? That looks like a nice round number...

Last edited by skydancer; 05/02/2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05/02/2007, 11:42 AM
Lo?

Re: Good news for you poor 6045 souls!

Quote:
The larger size euro prop works on the 6045 motor! I just did my test after receiving a new 6045 motor from Roger, and my test results are 1,500 gph at 9W. This was done using my modded (standard and full blast mods) 6055 front cover, which is the same as a 6045 front cover.

Now before you start calling your distant European relatives to order a euro sized prop unit, FYI the 6055 prop is the same un-trimmed size. Of course you can only order the part after it is available from Roger, which can take some time since parts usually start to come in a few months after the pumps are available.

Still I thought you ought to know your extra $30 is not a waste after all. Well actually make that $45 extra since the 6055 prop unit will cost a little over $10 plus shipping charge.

However the best part of the 6045 is it has the built-in stopper, as long as you don't do the wide flow mod, the two rather simple standard and full blast mods will be good enough.

Some observations of the new 6045 motor, it comes with a round power cord not flat one like in the early batch, it also has a stainless steel washer like the 6055, but it is similarly loose so be careful not to lose it. In this case the stainless steel washer is actually very critical, apparently it reduces friction so the larger prop will run smoothly, I tried without the stainless washer and while the pump ran, from time to time the prop would slip and jump. Also it appears we are right at the very threshold of the 6045 motor power to drive the larger prop, so I will not be surprised if occasionally the prop may slip, but it will be simple to resolve by sanding down the blades very slightly. I will put it in my tank later for testing to see if the smooth operation will be consistent or do I need to sand down the prop at all.

Now that I have the 6045 motor, compare it side by side with my 6025, the motor is clearly bigger and heavier. Worth the $30 by weight you think?
so you have confirmed thast the 6045, and 6025 are not in fact the same motor. This is what I have thought all along, but people kept saying it was. I am glad to hear the 6055 prop will work on my 6045's. Now I just need to get my hands on 2

90 gal sps and mixed other. Tek 6x54 t-5's, DAS EX-1 skimmer, 2x 6045 nano streams.
Old 05/02/2007, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skydancer
Hey jacmyoung,
which mod gives you 1500GPH on the 6045?
According to atdave the best he got from his modded 6045 was about the same as what we got out of the 6025... (1250GPH)
Did I miss something?

[edit] Yep, sorry, I missed the comment above on the european version prop. BTW, how did you measure the 1500GPH? That looks like a nice round number...
I use the white 18g kitchen garbage bag from Costco, it is quite sturdy and actually holds 20g. I have a large 50g tub from Lowes about 3x4x4 tall. A hole is cut in the upper middle of the bag, the nano nozzle is pushed in the hole then taped water tight with electirc tape. I then assemble the pump and attach it to the tub wall, about 2" below waterline, spread the bag evenly on the water surface. Some water will get in the bag through the pump but not much to make any difference.

Next is to start the pump and time it to fill the full bag. The bag sinks into the tub as the water pours into it by the pump. At the startup I try to hold the pump nozzle to allow free flow into the bag, but once a few gallons are pumped in I can just let go of it and let the pump do the rest.

I figured this way it most resembles the actual flow conditions in the tank, but the timing of the 20g-fill is not very precise so I just rounded out all my test results. They are of course approximate, only for purpose of comparing to one another.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 05/02/2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05/02/2007, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Good news for you poor 6045 souls!

Quote:
Originally posted by keinreis
so you have confirmed thast the 6045, and 6025 are not in fact the same motor. This is what I have thought all along, but people kept saying it was. I am glad to hear the 6055 prop will work on my 6045's. Now I just need to get my hands on 2
I just talked to Roger, he confirmed that the 6045 motor is bigger than 6025's, but warned against using the bigger prop. The max motor draw is 10W, and they want some room to account for calcium or debris buildup that can over-drive the motor.

But IMO, since the 6045 motor is indeed larger than 6025's, there should be room for improvement. A work around may be to sand the 6055 prop down to the point it draws only 8.5W, less than 1,500gph but still close. If the smaller 6025 can safely run at 7W, the bigger 6045 should handle 8 to 9W, still allow room for safety. Of coure you should be prepared to void the warranty on the motor since it is unlikely Tunze will consider any prematurely burnt motor as a result of normal wear and tear.

BTW, my 6045 is still drawing 9W, it just once in a while the meter jumps to 10W and I caught just that moment and thought it was doing 10W all the time.

I am ordering a mini multimeter and some test cables to get more precise readings for all my pumps, especially the 6055 gear.

On that note, Skydancer, can you post the links you PMed me before about the meter and cable on Amazon? I had trouble finding them now.

Also I just learned my wife has an Amazon account with some $70? annual fee you can get all orders shipped two-day express for free. I ordered my Kill-A-Watt meter (lowest price happened to be on Amazon also) through her account for the first time two weeks ago and they shipped to me in just one day without shipping fee.

Unfortunately as I recall the multimeter and cables are not stocked and shipped by Amazon direct so the shipping fees apply.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 05/02/2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05/02/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Re: Good news for you poor 6045 souls!

Quote:

I am ordering a mini multimeter and some test cables to get more precise readings for all my pumps, especially the 6055 gear.

On that note, Skydancer, can you post the links you PMed me before about the meter and cable on Amazon? I had trouble finding them now.

here is the link to a multimeter at amazon and test clips...

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-8-Fun...77676451&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-8-Fun...77676451&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Pomona-MiniGr...77676681&sr=1-6
Old 05/02/2007, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

Thank you Skydancer.

You posted a picture of the earliest Tunze 6045 spec sheet at a show in 2006. Was it 8W and 1,189 gph?

I put the 6045 in my tank and it ran fine but from time to time the prop would jump a few times. So it is exceeding the motor capacity and causing too much slipping. I did not notice that during my test probably because it was in fresh water and saltwater is slightly more viscous causing more drag.

May be the prop will have to be sanded down to the point that the motor is drawing 8W to be reliable after all. At that point the flow would be less than 1,500 gph but still more than 6025. I'd still say 1,400gph.

However the benefit will not be as great consider the effort needed to buy and mod a new prop.
Old 05/02/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you plan to put the pump on a timer and switch it on and off? If not then the stopper is not needed.

The wide flow mod will definitely make the flow more gentle and not that forceful, but the fish screen cap will be hard to fit on, once on will be under more stress and can crack later.

As I suggested earlier, after the nozzle is cut sand down the nozzle rim a little, apply black ABS glue evenly around it then press the cap on to make them one unit, that will prevent the cap from cracking.
Thanks, I only turn my pumps off twice a week when I do water changes. Whats interesting though is the older pump I have I did a standard and the full blast mod and the new pump I only did the standard mod but the newer pump seems to push a lot more water than the older one with both mods.
Old 05/02/2007, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thank you Skydancer.

You posted a picture of the earliest Tunze 6045 spec sheet at a show in 2006. Was it 8W and 1,189 gph?

I put the 6045 in my tank and it ran fine but from time to time the prop would jump a few times. So it is exceeding the motor capacity and causing too much slipping. I did not notice that during my test probably because it was in fresh water and saltwater is slightly more viscous causing more drag.

May be the prop will have to be sanded down to the point that the motor is drawing 8W to be reliable after all. At that point the flow would be less than 1,500 gph but still more than 6025. I'd still say 1,400gph.

However the benefit will not be as great consider the effort needed to buy and mod a new prop.
The original spec for the 6045 called for 8W. The ones I bought and tested first were running at 4W and then were replaced by Tunze and were running at 5W. Maybe they changed the pops and returned 'em to me. You should use a kill-a-watt to test the wattage. I would not exceed 8W on the 6045 with the mods...
I personally think that the 6045 motor can go up to 8W but the way it was designed (for the US) it was only drawing 5W (932GPH) and that was my original complaint. I think the european 6045 versions run at 8W.
As a reference, the picture of Tunze's original spec on the 6045 was posted on this thread.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1044334
Old 05/02/2007, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Looks like 8W and 1,189 gph was right initially and they ended up using the trimmed prop on 6025 for the 6045 as a easy way to be safe, therefore reduced the flow for 6045 but did not bother to test it or change the official claim.

At 8W and 1,189, assume a 24% increase of flow after the mods (as seen with my 6055), the 6045 should still get close to 1,500 gph with the bigger prop after some trimming, just not as much as the 6025 prop. Still a very good gain IMO.

burton14e7, I don't know why, I would check to see if the old pump is clogged or not, and clean it first. To accurately compare two pumps without a good test, I would remove the front covers, put both pumps side by side in a deep sink and with one hand on each pump to feel the flow, about the best way to tell if there is any difference. Keep in mind the new pump has a stainless steel washer, not the old one. It may have made a difference.
Old 05/03/2007, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

I decided after running my modded 6055 on my controller pulsing at 30/100 a few days, to move it to the opposite corner so I can find a permanent location for the controller display. While trying to move it around I decided to open up the large shroud a little more by cutting one more layer of slits. The new slits are shown in the picture below on the very top layer. I did leave a section right at the center uncut for better support. If I could do it again would probably do the same center support for all slits, just so it is easier to handle:

Another shot of the assembled pump:

With more opening the pump was drawing more power, reaching a total of 28W, compared to 26W earlier. My guess the flow is now 2,600 to 2,700 gph. After putting it in the new tank location it immediately kicked up a new junk storm, even though I had the pump kicking for a few days at the opposite side already. This storm was not as big as the first time I put the 6055 in, but still I thought I could actually shoot a video to show the flow.

So I quickly did a 1.20 minutes video. The file is 28mg big and I have no idea how to make it smaller and how to display it.

Can anyone give me some pointers how to proceed?
Old 05/03/2007, 03:51 PM
clownfish fan

wow the flow and undertow must come close to the vortech with that shroud

you are making me happy about my 6055
Old 05/03/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

you can try to put it into windows movie maker and shrink it down some. The output will be a wmv. I do that with most of my videos. Of course they are like 500 mb before I shrink them so they stil lcome out at 20 mb depending on how long they are.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 05/03/2007, 04:07 PM
clownfish fan

"So I quickly did a 1.20 minutes video. The file is 28mg big and I have no idea how to make it smaller and how to display it."

upload it to photobucket they give you like a gig for free keep the quality dont downsize it
Old 05/03/2007, 04:18 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:

maximod running dumaas 3004: 3000gph, 11w. No warranty voided. $40 total cost.
Old 05/03/2007, 04:24 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

Looking for an argument I see?

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 05/03/2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
maximod running dumaas 3004: 3000gph, 11w. No warranty voided. $40 total cost.
Yeah right, I have a bridge to sell you. I have done MJMods.
Old 05/03/2007, 04:28 PM
clownfish fan

whoa two Rich conley fights in one afternoon man i thought you were looking for a fight at the LFS thread and here you are picking another.