Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 03:40 PM
Byte mechanic

The "solution" to expensive .45 rounds is handloading or gun show bulk reloads! (Or buying a .22)

Handloading, of course, requires getting the equipment, but if you shoot alot, you might want to anyway because it's kind of fun to churn out your own ammo.

You gotta rent/borrow a bunch of handguns to find one that you shoot well though. When I bought my .45 (glock 21) I shot well with it, but in retrospect, I'd prefer a pistol with a thinner single stack mag/grip.

Also, if you handload, a revolver might suit you better than a self-loading pistol because it's a lot easier to keep track of your brass when it comes out when you want it to, rather than flining halfway across the range!

V
Old 10/26/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I saw some guys at the range that I'm guessing reload because they has some sort of shell catcher made from a small tub frame and net beside them catching all the shells as they shot. It was interesting...
Old 10/27/2007, 01:38 AM
Member Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
Hi Al G Blenny,

I been eye'ing 1911's lately but unsure on which when/if the time comes. I just bought an XD45 and really like although I only shot it twice now. So I've been looking at the Kimer line of 1911's since one of the guys at the range let me try his Kimber Custom II but there are so many to choose from... any certain brands/models or what to look for?
I actually have a Kimber custom II and it is pretty nice but I bought it when they were using external extractors. I will never do that again with a 1911. It actually shoots pretty good but a lot of people have problems with those and Kimber went to internal. If I had a little more money I would get a Nighthawk, Les Baer, or maybe Wilson. I really like the Nighthawks but Les Baer has a really good reputation. Kimbers are pretty nice. They are along the same lines as the Springfields or Colts. I guess I'm a little bored with mine. I'm thinking about trading it in for something a little higher end. I was also thinking about getting a Sig P226 9mm in stainless. I love the Sig stainless finish. I just need a cheaper gun. Maybe I'll just get the Mosquito. Has anyone shot one of those before?

Anyone go on any gun boards? I go on thehighroad.org all the time. Sometimes 1911forum.com. I bet half of you are on glocktalk.com. I just can't bring myself to own a Glock. Maybe if I was a cop I would.
Old 10/27/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

The only one I discovered was calguns.net from neuro and xdtalk since I just bought an XD45. I have the XD45 and SigPro 2340 .40. I've been looking at the Kimber Custom II's and CDP models. Wow, the price on the Nighthawk, Les Baer and wilson are no joke. I bet they are crafted very well.
Old 10/29/2007, 12:46 PM
Byte mechanic

Wow, I checked out the Nighthawk website...sweeet looking pistol, but da-yum that's pricey!

Also, Al G ... come on now, don't be a 1911 snob! Join the Glock side...i'ts calling to you! But I must admit, a 1911 is more comfortable with it's single stack mag than a Glock 21 and its fat grip.

And aside from the infamout "K!BOOM" issues, check out this Glock 21 torture test http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...iew&id=90&Item

Some guy totally abuses his Glock and it still groups nicely.

In the end though, it doesn't matter what pistol is in my hands, I'm a lousy shot.

V
Old 11/03/2007, 11:22 PM
Member Registered

I have a few other "plastic" guns that I would rather have than a Glock. I would much rather have an HK.
I would love this one.
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=313733
I just don't really see the point in most of these guns since we are in Cali. They are built wide so you can have more rounds but Cali doesn't allow us more than 10. Might as well get a comfortable gun since we can't use the high cap mags (not legally).
Old 11/04/2007, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

I really like the XD45. IStick with it for a while. It is my favorite 45 out there now. I was in Phoenix a few weeks back and my friend picked one up at Cabelas. 13 in the magazine which is great for a 45 and the grip wasn't too fat. He spent a day getting his permit...yes, 8 hours and now he has a concealed permit! I own an IPSC modified Smith 745. It's a nice gun but I've owned it for many years and wouldn't mind an XD. I sold my P226 as the grip was just too fat for me-that's when they were high capacity in CA though. I shot a 460 revolver last weekend at our duck club. It was pretty heavy and heavily ported so the kick wasn't much at all-not real practicable though.
Old 11/04/2007, 12:59 AM
Member Registered

Too bad you sold the P226. You could keep your high cap mags if they were pre-ban. I guess if it doesn't fit right then it wouldn't matter how many rounds you have.
Old 11/04/2007, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

I didn't see it coming at the time. It was probably about 1991 or so...when 9s were just getting popular and everything was moving to staggered mags and high capacity. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have to adjust my hand after the first shot-going from double to single action. I did keep a high capacity HK/Benelli shotgun though and, not that I would buy any, but the Cabelas in Phoenix was loaded with high capacity magazines for various firearms.
Old 11/04/2007, 01:31 AM
Member Registered

I was at a gun shop in Nevada and I was so tempted to pick up some high cap mags for Glocks. I would buy the gun just for that purpose. Not worth the risk though. I really don't see much need for more than 7 or 8 rounds anyway. If I'm using it for home defense I'm sure I will be a better shot than some burglar. The only advantage is not having to reload so much at the range. That's why I bring 5 mags with me when I go.
Old 11/04/2007, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

I been looking for a decently priced SKS but was not able to find one so I ended up getting a Saiga 7.26x39. Got my long gun safe today and just finished mounting it to the floor. Good thind my two nephews were able to help me move it from my garage to my master bedroom upstairs. That thing was heavy! Now my small GunVault can go downstairs...
Old 11/05/2007, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

You Buy Ammo...We Go Plinking! : ) ...(I might even send you home with a frag) lol... I also BBQ a mean Tri Tip...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ure_x2_161.jpg
Old 11/05/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

LOL!

Now that's what I'm talking about!

You selling/trading any of those?!?!
Old 11/05/2007, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Maybe.... Bring ammo (and a steak) and we can go for a test drive... : )
Old 11/05/2007, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

PM'd
Old 11/06/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

USI, Richmond, Chabot and Sac all have uspsa affiliated clubs.. Actually I think USI isn't affiliated but they host uspsa style shoots.. diabloactionpistol.com is their website iI think.. YOu can google richmondhotshots and tasc-ipsc.org.. Those are the respective sites for richmond and chabot's ipsc uspsa clubs.. Richmond hosted a gssf match back in august I think.. Tasc hosted their annual bay bridge charity classic last month for the toys for tots program..

I too shoot mostly 1911's but have since gone to the darkside of plastic.. usupsa production class and a glock 17 or 34 is a great way to get into the sport.. An uncle mikes kydex holster with mag holders and a belt is only like $60-70 compared to triple that for a race rig.. You can also check out the uspsa.org website for more info...

The Socom is a nicely built rifle but the front site is way too wide for any practical accuracy shooting at even 100 yards.. Get a full sized M1A if you are looking for one.. The shorty is just not practical for plinking at the range..

The glock is calling you.. Just gotta try it.. Hard to go back .. Embrace the darkside of the open gun Luke

disregard the springfield armory box.. It was all I had to stand it on...

Last edited by fishnfst; 11/06/2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11/06/2007, 02:22 AM
Premium Member

I like it... : )........
And it get's good gas mileage...
Old 11/06/2007, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

P.S. ...
After seein your frags for sale, I humbly regret to inform you that you will probably have no interest in any frag I could send you home with... : (
(smile)
Old 11/06/2007, 02:39 AM
Registered Member

Hehe!
Old 11/06/2007, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

Being a lefty, there aren't too many options for fully ambi guns. If you want to talk discrimination, the gun market has ignored us for years.......

I have a HK P2000 .40, sweet gun and love it. I am sold on a Springfield Loaded 1911 and is my next one. I have been looking for a Browning BDA .380 for years, (basicly a Beretta Cheeta), but that one has been out of production for a while.