Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member.

I'm starting a predator tank...

Its going to be a 125 (getting a good deal on it used) and I'm going to make a 29 gallon fuge underneath it. The fuge will have about 5" of sand with some live rock too.

My questions are: First off which fish can I put in there? I would like to get a shark, preferebly one that stays small. As far as clean up crew for predator tanks, is it non-existant?

Thanks all. any info will help
Old 12/17/2007, 11:36 AM
Team RC Member

I don't keep sharks, but I think as you research and get more input, you'll find that a 125 is not recommended for any adult sharks.

Clean up crew totally depends on what fish you have in the tank. Many predators will eat hermit crabs and snails, some will leave them alone. Urchins, sea cucumbers and brittle/serpent stars are other cleaners to consider, and will be safe with some predators.

In that sized tank, IMO, you could keep several fish from this list (but not all these are compatible, you'd need to check once you get your stock list started)

-smaller triggers (up to 12") - e.g., just about any Rhinecanthus, blue throat - some smaller triggers are too aggressive for a community (i.e., undulated)

-moderated sized puffers - like dogface or spiny box puffer

-moderate sized eels - like zebra moray, snowflake and relatives, some of the smaller and mellower (2-2.5 foot) piscivorous eels. There is a great chapter in Reef Fishes volume 1 and good info on wetwebmedia on suitable eels.

-smaller tangs - yellow, mimic, kole, etc. - stay away from really large, delicate or aggressive tangs (e.g., NO to Sohal, Naso, achilles)

-dwarf and medium angels - some get good size on them - for example, Centropyge heraldii can get to 8 inches. Some of the Genicanthus are under 10 inches and can be paired.

-some lionfish (dwarf or medium better than larger, like Volitan)

-moderate sized wrasses - one of the best, IMO is Australian Harlequin tuskfish - some are aggressive and/or need a sand bed to bury in. There are a lot of great wrasses to choose from. Most will eat hermit crabs and may bother snails.

Many (or most) predators produce a lot of waste. I'd be sure to invest in the best protein skimmer you fit/afford.

Hope this helps. 125 is a nice size and length. I'm finding that no tank is really big enough for all the fish I'd like to keep.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:00 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Definitely no sharks or rays. The majority of shark species out there will outgrow that tank within the first year of their life. Rays take longer to mature and reach adult size but still grow pretty fast for a fish. In a 125, depending on the species, a ray would outgrow it from anywhere between 1 and 4 years.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/17/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

I replied to you on your previous thread in reef-land (or what ever they call the forum here in live aquaria that is sub-par to the superior fowlr forum)
Old 12/17/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

yeah, it's my understanding that sharks will eat pretty much whatever you put in there... and need a much larger tank. I've never had one though so no experience, just word of mouth.

Thanks!
Ricky
Old 12/17/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Not really partial to eating everything, I've had success with seahorses with my shark, but very partial to a quick growth rate and large tank. I will need to upgrade soon...
Old 12/18/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

You need a much larger tank, even for the smallest shark, especially if your tank has corners that are rounded. How about this

Panther grouper
Lionfish
Large angel
Clown trigger.

If there is room, then you could add a couple tangs. They are not really predators, but neither are angel fish, and they will brighren up the tank. You could also replace the clown trigger with a zebra moray, and maybe a harlequin tusk fish.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:39 AM
Keeper of Sharks

Quote:
Originally posted by boggs32
yeah, it's my understanding that sharks will eat pretty much whatever you put in there... and need a much larger tank. I've never had one though so no experience, just word of mouth.
Not all sharks eat everything they can fit in their mouth. Some and most won't even take a bite out of a large silverside.

I agree with what FishyMel said. Sharks do quite well with other non-elasmobranch tankmates.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/19/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSaltwaterGuy
Not all sharks eat everything they can fit in their mouth. Some and most won't even take a bite out of a large silverside.

I agree with what FishyMel said. Sharks do quite well with other non-elasmobranch tankmates.
Thanks for the info. That's good to know, I've not owned a shark myself and I can't say I've actually personally seen one in a home tank before either.

Thanks!
Ricky
Old 12/19/2007, 03:44 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Well, now you have :

Old 12/19/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the pics, I think I've actually saw those somewhere else on RC. Although I have seen pics, I hadn't seen one in person, I'll have to stop by on my way back to WV this weekend

Just playin but I would like to see one... dont have the room to buy one until I move off campus!

Thanks!
Ricky
Old 12/19/2007, 08:13 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Thanks for the compliments!