Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > Inactive Club Forums > Central Valley Reefers (CVR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/06/2007, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

Site hosting update, March 2007

Since everyone's curious as to what happened, and so Jeremy doesn't take all the heat:

The reason the site isn't up at this time is because of the company who's hosting our site. At this time, our site is hosted by godaddy.com, because they're cheap and offer a lot of bandwidth. For the last 3 years, we've lived on Whodah's server, and he's always hosted for free, so there are many things we've taken for granted... like paying the bills.

We decided to pay for this new host month-by-month, to see how well they'd work out for us. Apparently, they have an odd billing setup, and tried to make phone contact with Stoker two weeks ago. Their records show a "failed contact." No other contact was attempted, as far as we can tell. So... "2 weeks delinquent," (though it wasn't actually delinquent until March 1) they simply shut off the site. However, instead of just closing access and waiting for a response, they actually delete the entire site from the server, and re-assign the server to someone else.

34 hours ago, we were told it would be back up in 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, we called to see what was up, and we were told "Oh, no way! It will take 4 hours!" We called after 4 hours, and they claimed someone didn't know what they were talking about, and it would take 24 hours, which is now. I just called again, to see what's up, and was told "Oh, you have a dedicated account, not a shared account. It will be 2-4 days, because we have to re-install the server from a tape backup." When they get the site back up, it will look like whatever it did the last time they happened to back it up, which could be a couple weeks ago.

Are you kidding me?! TAPE BACKUP?! How about... you simply close access to the site to see if we respond? Apparently, it's godaddy's business practice to simply wipe the server clean as the first step.

Obviously, I'm not happy with godaddy.com's "service." I'm very disappointed that we never got any sort of warning, or even a second attempted contact. Stoker's called me several times, extremely upset with himself for not paying and with godaddy for such drastic action. He offers all the apologies he can.

Right now, we're dead in the water until we come up on the "first come, first served" list, which is 2-4 days. We've considered moving to another server with less of a monopoly on hosting, but that would take 2 days, anyway. We'll still consider that action once the site is back up and returned to 100% of what it used to be a month ago.

Thank you for all your patience, and we're really sorry about such a silly mistake and what a wide-spread nuisance our host turned it into.

- Jason
"Sherman"
Old 03/06/2007, 12:24 AM
Teem Zissou

Stuff happens Stokah!, don't let it bring ya down!

Considering our latest ETA, I've donked w/ the DNS to at least point visitors to this thread for the next few days. That'll probably kick in while we sleep tonight. Or in weatherson's case, just about the time he's at his prime working on his projects!

I predict (and hope I'm wrong) that we won't be out of the woodworks even after a godaddy restore... But we'll see!

-WD?
Old 03/06/2007, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

Re: Site hosting update, March 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by jwedehase
However, instead of just closing access and waiting for a response, they actually delete the entire site from the server, and re-assign the server to someone else.

................................................................................................

Oh, you have a dedicated account, not a shared account. It will be 2-4 days, because we have to re-install the server from a tape backup." When they get the site back up, it will look like whatever it did the last time they happened to back it up, which could be a couple weeks ago.

.................................................................................................

Apparently, it's godaddy's business practice to simply wipe the server clean as the first step.
DOH!!!

Man do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.
Old 03/06/2007, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

Awh crap! Jermey, are you going to have to update the site again after in comes back up? Don't they have a few contact people for cases like this? I would think that shutting down and deleting a website would be the last thing on their list to do.

Dave
Old 03/06/2007, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

I need to get an "I support RC" logo, I feel left out.
Old 03/06/2007, 01:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenny C
Awh crap! Jermey, are you going to have to update the site again after in comes back up? Don't they have a few contact people for cases like this? I would think that shutting down and deleting a website would be the last thing on their list to do.

Dave
These days, server hosts are pretty cut and dry. I guess too many people have been lax on paying their service fees on time. On time a buddy's website was expired for two days, by which time, a cybersquatter had bought it.
Old 03/06/2007, 10:40 AM
Teem Zissou

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenny C

Dave
We won't know until they do their restore -- but it's a possibility!!
Old 03/06/2007, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whodah
I've donked w/ the DNS to at least point visitors to this thread for the next few days.
Quote:
Originally donked by Who Dah?
Hi.

We are experiencing difficulties at cvreefers.org at the moment!

Please see http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1064160

Thanks!
-Who Dah?
FYI, you should have signed it as Shermie or Fishy Business to deflect the heat off of you.
Old 03/06/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Ladies And Gentlemen Of CVR
I Would Like To Offer A Formal Apology To The Members Of CVR.
There Are No Excuses, I Simply Didn't Pay The Bill (For Hosting On The Godaddy Sever) On Time....
With That, I Apologize Wholeheartedly To You All...
Stoker
Old 03/06/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Oh ahead and blame it on me.... do you think anyone is going to mess with me wearing these pants.... do ya?

It's ok Stoker, I forgive you. It's a resonable mistake.

Dave (Starla's man)
Old 03/06/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Technology bites back

Unfortunatley hosting companies have us by the balls. They should certainly be able to restore up to the cut off date. Thats just standard practice in our data fueled age. I hope it works out for the good of the site. Good luck with daddy.
Old 03/06/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

well....they still have funny commericals...even though their service sux...
/me thinks we need to go back to the old hoster's service...it ws MUCH more reliable...

BTW, Stoker...50 lashes with a wet xenia...
Old 03/06/2007, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fabdickson
Ladies And Gentlemen Of CVR
I Would Like To Offer A Formal Apology To The Members Of CVR.
There Are No Excuses, I Simply Didn't Pay The Bill (For Hosting On The Godaddy Sever) On Time....
With That, I Apologize Wholeheartedly To You All...
Stoker
I'll just spend my time listening to my sister's Tin Tin's EP of "Kiss Me". It's a pretty bumpin' song.

We have the original vinyl at my parents house.
Old 03/06/2007, 07:44 PM
who?

That's pretty poor of them to delete the files, especially w/o having a recent backup to restore. We were looking at domain registration with those guys after reading your story I think we'll steer clear.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 03/06/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

WHAN WAHN WHAN !!!
Its cool SToker it happens not a big deal its was the idiots at our server site that screwed it all up for us. oh well.

any who I look forward to the site coming back up.
Old 03/06/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

BTW, any CVR Koralia users (I think there are a few of you), see here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1060944
Old 03/06/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

well i offdered 2 1/2 years ago to do the hosting however I was turned down funny though I have not lost a single byte of client data on my web servers in 8+ years. Anyway the offer is still in good standings

AQTCJAK the man of the moment

Post the link for chat tomorrow night & lets discuss this issue @ length
Old 03/06/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Is the chat room working??
Old 03/06/2007, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

No, the chat room isn't working, sorry.
Old 03/06/2007, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

So I just called again.. you know.. squeaky wheel.

GD: "Umm... you just need to re-upload your site."
Me: "I can't. It says "Hosting being re-instated, please wait."
GD: "Oh. I don't know then. Please hold.

... 6 minutes...

"GD: "Oh. It looks like the automation failed. The tech said he would immediately manually override, and move you to the top of the queue, so he's doing that now. He said the site SHOULD be up within 3 hours. If not, something went wrong."
Old 03/07/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Where did they find these people?
Old 03/07/2007, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaticjack
AQTCJAK the man of the moment
And this was determined...................how?
Old 03/07/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

Don't sweat it CVR BODs. Stuff happens. Gotta love GD. I've been waiting for CVR to come back up for the last week or so, just like everyone else; and I've come to the conclusion that there's no need to rush. We'll all live right?

Regarding the hosting here's my .02. I've heard nothing but complaints from clients who have had GD, Yahoo SB, as well as networksolutions.

If you're in the market for hosting, my brother has a website and he hosts through jbservers dot net and has had no problems. I'm not sure if they have 24/7 support and what bandwidth and disk space is required to run CVR but it's worth looking at.

Just do what you can and keep us members updated when possible. Thanks for your dedication concerning the site and getting it back up.

Tyson
Old 03/07/2007, 02:05 AM
ren and stimpy

http://moose.cc/hosting/

i don't know if he offers a package big enough to cover the cvr site, but i use him for hosting and he is awesome, always keeps his servers updated with the newest stuff, pretty much never any downtown, and you can setup payment monthly directly from paypal so you never have to worry about it, it just does it automatically.
Old 03/07/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Well I have to work tomorrow night so I couldn't be at chat anyways. Maybe we can all just go to Hector's for tea and crumpits....... I bet he drinks his tea with his pinky up!