Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > Inactive Club Forums > Central Valley Reefers (CVR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/07/2007, 03:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenny C
Well I have to work tomorrow night so I couldn't be at chat anyways. Maybe we can all just go to Hector's for tea and crumpits....... I bet he drinks his tea with his pinky up!
You should I hear he's weird like that.
Old 03/07/2007, 03:43 AM
Registered Member

Fix it or i will get my server,$35.00 a month
Old 03/07/2007, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

We're still working on it, obviously. The most difficult part is finding a server who can handle the bandwidth, as mentioned. This goes well beyond just the users, CVR is also a search engine hot spot. It's no RC, by any means, but as an example, so far this month we pulled down 11GB worth of data, and that's only between Thursday to Sunday morning, because it's been down since.

BTW... "3 hours" it's still not up. One more phone call....

When this is all said and done, and we have a functioning site again, we'll be paying for another host. That means another few hours of down time, but we can't have this again.
Old 03/07/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

11GB is all? I upload that every day from my home pc...
Old 03/07/2007, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwedehase
When this is all said and done, and we have a functioning site again, we'll be paying for another host. That means another few hours of down time, but we can't have this again.
Jay-Sewn,

Is this really necessary? Apparently their webhosting service sucks, but this is due to a bill going upaid. Getting the site back up promptly is their responsibility (and they bring teh suck), but the site going down isn't there fault.

I'm only metioning this because it seems that webhosts are becoming increasingly ironfisted. What seems ridiculous today might be standard practice when it's time to renew next year.

FWIW, I have no real life experience on what happens when you don't pay the webhosting bill (I have a killer webhost), but this is the feedback I'm getting back from friends and such. Bandwith is becoming the new gold.
Old 03/07/2007, 12:40 PM
Teem Zissou

Actually, a little clarification on Jason's post: The 11 gigs a day isn't the killer. It's the resources (CPU/Memory) that it takes to run a forum even on the (small to small-medium) scale that CVR runs at. (It's not uncommon to have 12 members online and 20 guests online or even higher simultaneously.) With high-featured forums software (i.e. vBulletin w/ all of the bells and whistles enabled as CVR has), this is actually significant with all of the database work it takes just to view a single post.

In and of itself, most webservers could handle this just fine. Even a 'slow' celeron 1Ghz w/ 512 megs if that's ALL it was doing. (I.e. no statistics or ftp'ing or heavy email in the background as well, etc..)

But -- and here's the catch... When you throw a site like CVR on a shared hosting server with 200 other domains... Now CVR runs slow and CVR becomes the resource 'hog' compared to all of the other 200 domains.

I keep my web server relatively resource free so hosting is fast. It's a dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz w/ 2 gigs of ram and SCSI drives. I have ~40 domains on it. CVR ran fine on it with this relatively low number of domains on such a powerful server.

To avoid getting put on an overloaded server, we're getting into the virtual server class of hosting. More expensive, but much cheaper than a dedicated server. With a virtual server, the hosting provider (godaddy in this case) allocates resources much better. In this class of hosting, we should be able to prevent CVR from becoming slow.

Speed wise, I believe godaddy was doing just fine. I don't think we'd need to up to a dedicated server.

But this is why we aren't just on a typical shared hosting server/plan.

Old 03/07/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Man this is the longest 30 minutes...

I am having CVR withdrawals, is there a patch available?
Old 03/07/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

GD performance is fine actually their data center is rather impressive, but their customer service has been horrible and tech support incompetent.
Old 03/07/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenny C
Well I have to work tomorrow night so I couldn't be at chat anyways. Maybe we can all just go to Hector's for tea and crumpits....... I bet he drinks his tea with his pinky up!
Hey Fruit Loop (I believe this is Fruit Loop),

When is that thingee at your house? Might as well announce it here in case Shermie doesn't get the site back up before 2008.

BTW, he's not really calling GoDaddy. I just saw him a few hours ago. He was standing in front of his shark tank flashing gang signs.
Old 03/07/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

I called again today, push harder and harder. I asked to "speak to someone who was accountable for and could explain to me why my site was still down." I got some Customer Service Supervisor, or something silly.

While on the phone, he managed to get the site "re-initiated." Now, he says, we just need to restart the server. I suggested he run downstairs and press the button, and I'd wait. He told me he'd escalated it to Tech Team, and they'd handle it first come/first serve, but within 24-48 hours. Seriously... to press a button? I asked if there was anything I could do to expedite the situation since they had dropped the ball so badly. He said no. I explained to him that we were in a Mexican Standoff, and neither was willing budge, but that I felt since *I* was paying *HIM*, *HE* needs to take care of *ME*.

"There's nothing else I can do for you." So that's it. Eat it.

Hector, this isn't about who's fault the problem is. The issue is being held victim to their business practices, should/when anything ever happen again. I don't appreciate counting for absolutely nothing in their eyes, and don't feel right about paying them to continue such behavior. The BOD will discuss/vote about it when we're able.
Old 03/07/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Queer Explanations My End, Something About A Security Update.....
Without Overtly Calling The Chap A Liar, I Decided To Try Again Later..
I'm Wondering If They Have A Set Of Excuses, "Printed" Before Them, That They Can Rattle Off..... As You Can Imagine, My Frustration Mounts...
I Can't Ask For A Refund Until, They Reboot The Site....
And We Can Back It Up......

Stoker
Old 03/07/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

You guys need to get stiff with them ! ! ! !
Old 03/07/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

You know I have offered to sponsor your club in the past.

If you want to work it out with a server, and a ton of bandwidth than let me know.

I have a data center in Turlock.
Old 03/07/2007, 10:56 PM
Teem Zissou

StacyT: What kind of datacenter?
Old 03/07/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Well it is actually a high end medical facility, but I built a small data center in it. I figured we already had a backup generator, and I got a great deal on 2 DS3's from 2 seperate ISP's.

The only part that is not redundant is the conduit running from the street access point to the building MPOE, and I only have one generator to run the building.
Old 03/08/2007, 12:02 AM
Teem Zissou

Nice!! -- are those full DS3's or partial?

BTW: is this the Stacy by chance that had those big puffers in a 240 I helped tear down?
Old 03/08/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

They are partial DS3's right now. They are burstable though durring those peak times as needed.

Yes same Stacy with the 240. Still have one 240 in the wall. I had tore down the other 240 to install a 175 bow. Sold the 175 bow, moved everything from there to the 240 in the wall, and moved the reef to the 144 1/2 circle. Recently moved the 144 to the store for a display.
Old 03/08/2007, 12:28 AM
Teem Zissou

Oh cool, I thought that might be you!

That's an interesting option... I'll bring it up w/ the BOD. Thanks!!
Old 03/08/2007, 12:40 AM
Premium Member

W00t! We got something out of them:

"2 week extension on the hosting account, so pretty much, 2 weeks, free!"

So, what should we do with $12.50 while we continue to wait on some undeclared event that will fix everything? BTW, I'm taking their consolation offer as an admittance of fault. Finally.
Old 03/08/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

What about re-whodah-izing the site in the mean time?
Old 03/08/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Gee I kind of take that as " bend over and grab your ankles let's see how long we in keep you in that position"
A promise of two more weeks of the site not working....where do I sign up
Old 03/08/2007, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwedehase
Hector, this isn't about who's fault the problem is. The issue is being held victim to their business practices, should/when anything ever happen again. I don't appreciate counting for absolutely nothing in their eyes, and don't feel right about paying them to continue such behavior. The BOD will discuss/vote about it when we're able.
True, perhaps it's their version of that'll teach 'em not to pay. Isn't GoDaddy the cheapest around? Perhaps there is a reason for this.

Jay-Sewn, I'm not pointing el fingero at you or anybody else, but I really am expecting this kinda bad service (or lacadaisical behavior) to be the norm.
Old 03/08/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Hey come on now! I am about ready to put the needle in my arm here. I can't put my .02 in cuz I'm a puter troll, but some one needs to "TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM HERE"! ! ! I am having withdrawls of the serious kind here! Oh is that a piece of lint I see on the floor?
Old 03/08/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Time to let go of current host and get on with a new one. BOD's you can deal with them later. Don't keep waiting for something that isn't going to happen - that should be perfectly clear by now.
Old 03/08/2007, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

The immediate problem is that we don't have a current backup of the site they deleted, so they're holding us hostage with our own information. We could jump over to another host right now, but the site would look exactly as it did a while back, not when they pulled it down.

Even more irritating, I asked how long it would take to setup a brand new account, and they told me 6 hours. So I asked how they could explain that we're on 5 days right now without service. He tells me "It's a lot easier to just set up a new account on a clean server than it is to fix something that's broken, because it could be anything that's broken."

"But it's not broken, YOU deleted it."

That's when he offered the 2 week extension.

It's supposed to be up today, but I feel like I've heard that before.