Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2006, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

getting new knees

hey all, i've not been posting lately, mostly lurking these days...long story

anyway, tomorrow, tuesday, i'm going into uc davis and getting total knee replacements of both knees. long time coming....

i'll be there for 2 weeks, so if you're in the area stop on by with a taco supreme ( i hate hospital food), and let me talk you into a game of boggle or yahtzee, i think i'll be bored out of my mind

gael (shepherd)

wish me luck! yikes
Old 02/28/2006, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

Youch...both at once? That's gotta bite. I'll be following your progress, as I'm looking at having one done in a couple of years max. Yer too far for me to drop by with a cold brew, (that should make the morphine work well!) but I will keep you in my thoughts, and wish you the best in this. When you can, please let us know how things are going.
Old 02/28/2006, 01:30 AM
Moving Along

Wow.Thats heavy stuff,a sincere good luck to you

-Justin

Ps.So when your knees get better, your gonna post more right?
Old 02/28/2006, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Not from Ca., nor have we met. Doesn't mean I can't wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

Russ
Old 02/28/2006, 02:40 AM
Premium Member

Hey Gael -

I can totally sympathize - not about the knee replacements - but about the YUCKY hospital "food". Two years ago - when Sierra had to be in the hospital for a few days - I didn't even last one day on hospital food. Ended up sneaking in food for both Sierra and me. I don't know how you're going to last two weeks on that crude they feed you.

Good luck with a speedy recovery.

Minh

PS - I regret taking French in HS. Now I always have to check whether it's spelled hospitOl or hospitAl. Dang foreign language requirements....
Old 02/28/2006, 05:35 AM
Got Pictures?

I hope it all goes well, make sure you request to keep the old parts, you know how those doctors can be...OOps I was thinking mechanics, haha! But really let us know if you need anything, the group is behind you
Now Open Water Scuba Certified :)
Old 02/28/2006, 11:39 AM
Flagrant.

if I were closer I'd drag my husband along, bring a couple taco supremes, and play monkey in the middle with you. Boy would that be a riot! hehehe

Hope you recover quickly! Smuggle in a few of your favorite snacks for those times when you dont have bedside taco service.
Old 03/18/2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

and i lived to tell

but i'm telling you, that was THE MOST excruciating pain i have ever felt. i'm home now and walking with crutches, and a wheelchair for any long excursions i want to make, but maaaan, i'm talking serious pain here. sheesh. i dont recommend that to anyone

what was i thinking? well, granted, in a month or so when the pain subsides and i'm more mobile i'm sure i'll have changed my mind and be glad i did it.

ay-yi-yi
Old 03/18/2006, 11:05 AM
I'm all wet!

you guys would be surprised, My wife was there for about 2 weeks and the food wasnt that bad, some it sucked but it was alright. I liked the Cafe in the basement,they got good food.
Old 03/18/2006, 12:02 PM
Novice Expert

When I had my first back surgery at St. Mary's in San Francisco the food was fantastic. Trout Almondine, Peach Glazed Cornish Hen, and got to love a Catholic hospital...red wine with dinner. Nothing says "good evening" like a glass of vino and a morphine pump.

Gael, I'm glad to hear that you're home and doing okay.
Old 03/19/2006, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Hey Gael, glad to hear you are home. Didn't I tell you there would be lots of pain associated with this type of surgery. LOL. I hear you are 6 inches taller now too.

See you soon,
Bruce
Old 03/20/2006, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

lol, no, i was unaware there would be pain. (ha!) i just wasnt prepared for how MUCH pain there'd be. geeze. serious.

i am 2 inches taller now tho, for real .... because my knees can now fully straighten, and they couldnt before.

gael
Old 03/20/2006, 11:32 AM
Moved On

Good luck gaels I will keep you in my prayers