Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Microbubbles From Skimmer

I finally bought my long awaited g3 skimmer and installed it yesterday. I donīt have a large sump (23 gallons) for my 95 gallon tank. I place the adjustable cylinder on the highest position like stated on the manual and the cup fills with water (I donīt know why this happens and I had to adjust). I had to really lower it to almost itīs lowest position and had to raise the skimmer 6 inches from the sumpīs bottom. A lot of bubbles are coming from the skimmer to almost the top of the cup. Millions of microbubbles are coming from the skimmer and filling my display. All of my corals and fish are stressed out. I had to put the sponge that comes with the skimmer and another sponge in the middle on one of the divisions of the sump. They were reduced but I still have a lot of microbubbles. I donīt know what to do about it. Any suggestions do I have to make special adjustments to my sump. The skimmer appears to be working great the only hazzle are the microbubbles. Help!!!
Old 10/23/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

A member of our club had the same problem with that exact skimmer. Turned out he was using something to treat the tapwater he was using in his tank. When he switched to RO, the skimmer performed as it was supposed to.

Are you using any slimecoat or additive in your water?

Tracy
Old 10/23/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Skimmers sometimes need a couple of days to "slime up" and should settle down.

Whats the water level the skimmer is in? Mine is in 8" of water. I would also do a GATE VALVE MOD right away. Its a great way to dial in your skimmer. You can use a ball valve instead of the gate valve BUT I would switch to the gate valve asap. You can get one HERE
Old 10/23/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Gate valve is a must. But you could fit the skimmer outflow tube with a filter sponge in a slotted breeder box. Cut a circle out of the sponge to accomate some of the tube and hang the box from the pipe with cable ties. Should help reduce bubbles getting into your sump then display.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

On your return pump, do you have a downward facing elbow on the inlet? This would help take the water from the lowest point of the sump. Then have the skimmers out put drain on the other side of the sump.
Old 10/23/2007, 01:42 PM
Aquarium Addict

My ASM G1 skimmer had alittle break-in period, but the bubbles weren't as bad as you are describing. The other time I had bubbles like you are talking about was when I used red slime remover and I had to turn off the skimmer for about a week.
Old 10/23/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Also make sure the gasket on the pump inlet is properly seated on the skimmer body. Mine had a small leak and produced a ton of micro bubbles.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

I will give a check today on everything you guys posted, I think the break in period is important. The gasket you mention is the one that goes on the side of the skimmer and holds the inlet from the sedra?
How deep should I have the skimmer inside the sump.
The only ****ty thing on this skimmer are the instructions they are too vague.
Old 10/23/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juan jose
How deep should I have the skimmer inside the sump.
I have mine in 8" of water
Old 10/24/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adnup
On your return pump, do you have a downward facing elbow on the inlet? This would help take the water from the lowest point of the sump. Then have the skimmers out put drain on the other side of the sump.
ADNUP, I donīt have a downward elbow I think this is a good idea also I will give it a shot. I was yesterday playing around with the skimmer and I think I will have to get more baffles for the sump. There are so many microbubbles being produced that I can only think of this and the gatevalve mod. If it wasnīt for the microbubbles I think everything would be perfect my previous skimmer was not up to the task a 50-250gallon redsea skimmer.