Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/17/2007, 12:56 AM
Addicted to the Reef

Question sales tax laws? in fl

any one know about the sales tax laws in FL i know end consumer usualy gets stuck with taxes but what if buyer is not local. does sales tax not get paid or do i have to pay the amount ( or do i pay the amount of tax on the wholesale price?) any help would be great. as i know goverment is greedy and will say to pay even when i really dont have to.. any help thanks
Old 11/17/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Florida's general sales tax rate is 6%, additionally a discretionary sales surtax is imposed by many Florida counties.

That's why I like driving up to Delaware, no sales tax there.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:56 AM
Addicted to the Reef

yes but it selling to some one out of state what happens?

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 11/17/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

i think buyers pay the sales tax in the state from which they are purchasing goods. in this case, a buyer would be subject to the FL state sales tax of 6%
Old 11/17/2007, 01:16 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Depends what and how you are buying. If you buy over the internet and the company you are dealing with is not based or doesn't have a retail outlet in your state you pay no taxes. If you buy a car the taxes are usually paid where you live.
Old 11/17/2007, 04:27 PM
Rubberman

In CA the tax code says the buyer is responsible for paying the sales and use tax on anything purchased from an out of state source where the seller was not required to collect it.

This tax can be reported and paid with your state income tax return or you can obtain a Consumer Use Tax Permit if you frequently make out of state taxable purchases.

If you plan to get one of those be sure to get there early because the lines are always real long with so many people wanting one.

SteveU
Old 11/17/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/17/2007, 04:48 PM
But what do I know?

I know when I used to go to Reef Encrustations to buy live rock in Destin, they would not charge me sales tax. I think the laws are different like that in Florida.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 11/17/2007, 10:13 PM
Addicted to the Reef

im going to be doing the selling. so

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 11/17/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Depends what and how you are buying. If you buy over the internet and the company you are dealing with is not based or doesn't have a retail outlet in your state you pay no taxes.
correct
When the buyer is out of state they are responsible for paying the sales tax on their tax return.

Last edited by racerw; 11/17/2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

You need to check the laws where you are.
Typically, if they come into the store (whether they are state residents or not), they pay sales taxes. If you are doing phone or internet sales you do not collect any sales tax on out of state purchases. You also do not pay the taxes in this case.
You would still collect sales tax on phone and internet sales in your state.
The buyers are supposed to be responsible for paying the sales tax in their home states.
Old 11/18/2007, 12:09 AM
Rubberman

I have a CA Seller's Permit for 6 different counties within the state. Because I do out-of-home county sales at these shows we have to report those sales to the county in which the show takes place. Then because I have a physical presence in the county (those shows) all mail order sales to customers in those counties must be reported as such.
What an accounting nightmare.

SteveU