Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/14/2006, 11:59 AM
Crazy Is As Crazy Does...

A reefcast? Wassa Reefcast?
LOL = Sounds geeky and I'm all into geeky...

And thanks Winder, for the reply. I'm really curious about this stuff. You have had it going for a while now - what almost a year? Noticed any problems like Nitrates or anything? I am just paranoid, and have learned that often, if something sounds too good to be true ('Handi foam'), it often (but not always) is...

Another and I were worried it might turn into a nitrate sponge after time...
Old 07/14/2006, 01:49 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder770
I'd have to agree with you there!! . I actually listened to your reefcast #7 & 8 yesterday at work......... so I guess work is good for something

I have to admit- until yesterday, I had only listened to the first 6 reefcasts so it was a suprise to hear my tank mentioned (I didn't expect a new Reefcast so soon- you guys are making regular shows now). Your reefcasts are definately cool and to anyone who hasn't listened you're missing out. Just in case people don't know where to go it's http://www.reefcast.com/ or follow the link on Melev's site.

We'll probably be out in the Dallas area in the next month or 2 and would love to stop by and see your tank and if you happen to be doing a reefcast I'd be happy to be part of it. And of course I'd bring some Crown and Coke with me or . If things go as planned we'll be living in TX down the road as well.
If you arrive bearing Crown Royal in hand, we'll fire up the reefcast machine. We did try to do "Groupcast" a couple of nights ago, so listen for those silly moments in the next episode.

You are definitely welcome to come over and visit. Although compared to your setup, I think mine may not make much of an impression.

What are your plans with the current setup if you move? Are you hoping to sell your home to a fellow reefer? Now that you are so close to the finished product, customizing your home to fit around the tank, I can't believe you're moving.
Old 07/14/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
If you arrive bearing Crown Royal in hand, we'll fire up the reefcast machine. We did try to do "Groupcast" a couple of nights ago, so listen for those silly moments in the next episode.
You mean I left before the "Reefcast Machine" came out! Bummer!
Old 07/14/2006, 05:08 PM
TRC Leader

I'm sure the neighbors weren't too pleased.
Old 07/14/2006, 10:36 PM
Moved On

Wow, I am Done! That Was One Of The Best Threads I Have Ever Had The Chance To Read!
Old 07/18/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

WOW just saw this thread and your tank is killer!
Old 07/18/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

WOW just saw this thread and your tank is killer!
Old 07/18/2006, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

You can say that again!
Old 07/19/2006, 04:27 PM
TOTM- June 2007

Insane Reefer- Just follow the link I posted to the reefcast- it's pretty cool and you can tell they have way to much fun doing it . Nothing fancy but some good info and joking around by fellow reefers. As for the foam- I can't say that I've noticed anything negative about it. I have nitrates of 4 - 8 but I think that's caused by the bio-load, not the foam. It's had that nitrate reading fairly constantly for well over 6 months now. I feed twice a day so that probably doesn't help.

melev- I'd love to stop by while I'm out and if you happen to do a reefcast while I'm there that would be great! It would be great to see your setup as I've seen and heard so much about it- I'm sure I'll be impressed by it. As for the tank moving- I'd rather not say just yet

Thanks all for the compliments! I'll try to keep posting pics but I'm running out of things to take pics of so if you have any requests just let me know.

This is a pic I took a few days ago. A little blurry and not quite the true color but I'm still learning on this new camera. I think I'm up to 2000 pics taken with it so far but well over 80% of them just get deleted because they are so bad

Old 07/19/2006, 07:46 PM
TRC Leader

Your tank looks nice and clean, Scott. I don't see a lot of coralline, which is like my tank.
Old 07/26/2006, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Very nice...
Custom MRC Sump Refugium
Circulation Tunze Wave Box
Main Pump - Sequence 3200
Cooling 3 - 119MM Fans and 1/4 HP Aqua Logic Chiller
Controller-Aquacontroller III
Korallin C-1502 Calcium Reactor
MRC Kalkreactor
Old 07/27/2006, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Wow, amazing tank Scott. I found this thread from ReefCast and have to admit it's given me a lot to think about for future tanks. Considering, as a reefer, I dream about larger tanks every day, you're now in my daily thoughts. I just thought you should know so you could be honored, or scare. I'm not sure which.
Old 07/28/2006, 04:03 AM
TRC Leader

Old 07/29/2006, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

AWSOME..........
Old 07/29/2006, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

AWSOME..........
Old 07/30/2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

that would have to be the best tank i've ever seen man i wish my wife like reef tanks enough to let me do that!!!!!!
Old 08/05/2006, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewinder770
Hey Scott,

What was the best way for you to get rid of the bubbles from your skimmer without socks? Thanks.
Old 08/05/2006, 09:38 PM
Keeper of Tangs

that skimmer is sweet!
Old 08/05/2006, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

hay whats up i had a question for you i was thinking of building a 220 with a cls but im stumped on thickness of glass if you don't mind me asking whats the thickness and hight of you tank thanks and love the tank and by the way my wife finally let me build it
Old 08/19/2006, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Sidewinder. Heard about this on reefcast. Took me two weeks to read your post. Man... your planning, patience, creativity, and "NO FEAR" brand of DIY is truly inspiring.

Watching with great interest

Ryan
Old 08/20/2006, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

this is by far the most elaborate setup i've ever seen. running pipes all in and under your house, your equipment closet is pretty hardcore. I can just imagin some of the comments u must get from people that visit that don;t know about this hobby.
Old 08/21/2006, 11:43 AM
TOTM- June 2007

Hey all, sorry for the delay in responding- it's just been a busy month.

Not much new on the tank as far as updates go- still have cabinetry to finish. As far as the questions-

melev- there is actually quite a bit of coraline but it's hard to see in most of the pictures. The foam on the back wall is about 60-70% covered in coraline now.

Apparition- In your daily thoughts...That could be kind of scary . Never had my own stalker before .

dez_2121- Having a very supportive better half makes all the difference in the world. I wouldn't have even attempted this without her. She's the brains of the operation- I'm just a newbie! This is my first reef tank afterall.

kimoyo- Notice in the picture all the plumbing in the sump on the right side? That's all for the skimmer output to help reduce the bubbles. I have the output of the skimmer split into two 3" PVC "T's" to help disipate the bubbles before entering the sump. I have messed around with several configurations and so far this seems to work the best. The fact that it's a 7' long sump with 9 baffles helps a lot as well.

dez_2121- The tank is 96x30x30 and is 3/4" thick on all sides and actually 1" on the back. I thought about making it out of 1" on all sides but as it is I don't have hardly any deflection at all- maybe 1/8" at the center which is very acceptable.

rmanecke- Thanks! I don't know if I'd call it "NO FEAR DIY". Several things on this setup I had never seen before so it was kind of new territory and I put a lot of thought into making sure everything would work correctly and last a long time and so far it's paid off. I also just installed a second DIY 1 ton split chiller since our garage temps are easily in the 120-140 degree range this time of year. So far they are working better than I had hoped and are very reliable and efficent.

neotekz- Most of the people that see this that aren't in the hobby just like to look at the display tank (Nemo and Dori come up more times than I can count). They don't really seem very interested in the sump room at all or even ask about it. Other reefers, on the other hand, are the exact opposite- seems like they enjoy standing in the hot garage looking at the sump room more than the tank! I seem to be in the garage tinkering more than looking at the tank sometimes as well, partially because all there is to do in the display tank is feed, and scrape the glass all the fun stuff happen in the garage

I'll see if I can find some new pics to post this week!

Last edited by sidewinder770; 08/21/2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08/21/2006, 12:15 PM
...da Purple People Eater

Quote:
Other reefers, on the other hand, are the exact opposite- seems like they enjoy standing in the hot garage looking at the sump room more than the tank! I seem to be in the garage tinking more than looking at the tank sometimes as well, partially because all there is to do in the display tank is feed, and scrape the glass all the fun stuff happen in the garage
Yeah, I second that. I've seen the garage in June. Your next project should be to toss a portable swamp cooler in there, move the car out into the sun, and slap a futon right in the middle of that open space.

Oh yeah, now were talking . . .
Old 08/21/2006, 04:46 PM
TOTM- June 2007

I do have A/C in the garage but I never run it

I think the better half may have something to say about me filling her parking spot with a futon.....OK, OK... so I'd have to give up my car space as well and that probably won't happen either
Old 08/21/2006, 05:25 PM
...da Purple People Eater

Yeah, I thought it was a long shot too. hehehe. Entertaining idea, none-the-less.