Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

cmas degrading

im looking at cmas and its degrading into a shill for some lfs one in particular which i cant name on here i see a couple of guys really building that store up but cmas wasnt created to do that but looks like the cmas site is now there personel advert board.i thought cmas was around to to push this hobby on not to be a advert.personally im not renewing after seeing whats going on lately its a disgrace
Old 12/07/2007, 10:30 PM
Tank Collector

Unfortunately, the only place you can talk about them is on other boards, so thats why it looks like most of the talk is about that vendor.

Nobody is building up any store, just giving positive experiences.. It's not like these people are paid actors that only post on forums...

I've had good and bad experiences with alot of the LFS in the area, so if I give my honest opinion and it's a bad one does that automatically make me a basher ??? What if I had a good experience, does that make me a shiller ???

Have you personally been to that vendor ?? Is it possible they're just genuinely good people that have good corals ??? If you went and were BLOWN away by the experience, you feel you shouldnt come onto the site and tell everyone about it ???

Last CMAS frag swap I was at I saw representation from MANY of the LFS in the area.... How does that make them a shill ?!?!?
Old 12/07/2007, 10:38 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Of all the stores in our area, I'm asking for all my holiday gift certificates to be from that store. Not because of all the "free" advertising they get but because they have the best, most colorful corals around! Also, because the owners are geat people & their tanks are immaculate. I never have to worry about catvching any nasties from them either. Before you start having resentments about them, maybe you should check them out.

So without even mentioning their name, you just started another thread adding to their free advertising (which will probably be closed very soon). And maybe you should try to write like an adult, so we can understand what you're trying to say. It's hard to take someone seriously when you write that way. I take a lot of time to read & correct my posts for punctuation, capitalization & spelling, so I sound like an adult.

(OK, I might be getting a ittle grumpy--I've been housebound for 18 days now & have to take pain pills & still can't go out for another week & 1/2. Going a lil stir-crazy here... )

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 12/07/2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

ive been there nothing much better the any other store theres tons of stores here in chicago that get hurt by everyone thinking thats best store in area.we keep losing lfs in chicago area and its no help when everyone builds the business to one in particular.this forum and the cmas soceity i would think is about helping people do good in the hobby and not promating a store.if i had to choose between cmas and rc i would take rc which has helped me in this hobby tons to be bashing rc is a joke they are a asset to this hobby with tons of info you could not get anywere else
Registered Member

can i just ask what place your all talking about?
The BS stops here!

I myself am not a CMAS member and I never will be. I just do not buy into having to belong to a club of any kind. Many of the CMAS members know me or know of me. I have seen members pushing and/or bashing one LFS or another. It really IMHO means nothing. One member may have a excellent experience at LFS "A" and the net member may have had the worst experience possible at store "A".

You shouldn't have to feel the need to follow the pack and feel obligated to go to store "A" because of what you have heard other members experiences.

All part of the same reason that I will not join the club, all of us are individules with our own thoughts and feelings. Do what feels good to you and damn the rest.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:49 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I'd love to hear of even 1 other store that has the kind of stock that store carries.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

the point is cmas should be about education in this hobby and not about promating a store.keeping the stuff alive is the point not were you can get a colorful coral
Old 12/07/2007, 10:56 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Why shouldn't we tell each other where we get the best stuff? I was appointed the LFS liason for a certain store & I always inform the club about sales & nice stuff I see there.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:57 PM
Tank Collector

Do you HONESTLY think that those other stores closed simply because one other store that is MILES away from them ?!?!? C'mon now.

The store in question is honestly the only vendor I have yet to go to in the Chicagoland area, but from what Ive seen at frag swaps they have some nice looking stuff. If I happen to go there and see some great stuff, should I not tell my fellow reefers about it ??
Old 12/07/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishkeeeper
ive been there nothing much better the any other store theres tons of stores here in chicago that get hurt by everyone thinking thats best store in area.we keep losing lfs in chicago area and its no help when everyone builds the business to one in particular.this forum and the cmas soceity i would think is about helping people do good in the hobby and not promating a store.if i had to choose between cmas and rc i would take rc which has helped me in this hobby tons to be bashing rc is a joke they are a asset to this hobby with tons of info you could not get anywere else
You are making assumptions on stores being hurt by them. Other stores are not losing bussiness because of one store. There are several other factors involved, Location, prices, livestock, coral quality etc. I visit many other stores in the area including scott's, living sea, odd lot etc. They are simply much closer and more convenient than driving out an hour or two away. I know aquatic reef was a really great store and I wish I could have made it out there one day but it was simply too far of a drive. Sharkys, for example, was another great store. I had a great experience when I had visited but it was simply too far for me to frequent . Sho tank another great store but again....I cannot go often due to distance. I am not trying to start an arguement with you fishkeeper but there are too many variables to say things like that. However I disagree with your comment on coral quality but will not go further with it as I do not want to start problems. You are right if you meant to say other stores have great corals too because...they do. I plan on returning to Sho tank whenever I can scrounge up some money . I think this whole problem will die down though. Just give it some time and I am sure it will be forgotten soon.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Puffer, since no one is revealing the name here and playing secret santa... I guess i will have to investigate on CMAS site myself. IMHO, whats ones fav store could prove unlucky experience to someone else.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:10 PM
OT JUGgler

i am still in the dark and the first letter is.........................
Old 12/07/2007, 11:16 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Everything is all written out at the cmas.net site.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:17 PM
g l a s s b o x

Quote:
Originally posted by moon jelly
i am still in the dark
you're just about there.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 12/07/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

oh LORD this is getting out of hand.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:34 PM
Moved On

could you please CORAL those horses.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

"ive been there nothing much better the any other store"

Don't usually get involved in this type of post, that statement alone says you have never been there. . .

That is all I have to say about that.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:42 PM
Moved On

^ AGREED ^
Old 12/07/2007, 11:56 PM
Frag-a-holic

Aquatic Reef and Sharkys both got tons of good reviews on here. I guess it was not enough since both of them recently closed thier doors. So I guess all of the "shilling" that we did for them was of no use. Maybe they should be banned also for what we did for them. Your responses here are of no merit to anyone on here who actually knows what is going on. Yes, RC is a great resource for all of us. I have learned a lot scrounging through these forums, I will continue to do so. I don't see how you can argue the fact that CMAS isn't trying to spread the knowledge throughout the ranks. Part of spreading the knowledge is informing people where they can find certain things. Do you also hate the fact that we do frag swaps? That sure is a poor use of resources isn't it?

Why didn't you post your last little blurb about Boyd on this site like you did on the CMAS site?

I am done, this is crap.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/08/2007, 12:17 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

All I know is that I try to ignore a lot of the "fighting" about which store is the best. And I also take what everyone says ( good and bad ) about a store with a grain of salt (( pun not intended )). If a store is store is mentioned, either good or bad, I will go there on my own, and make my own opinion about that store. It is not that I don't trust the people here, or that I don't value their opinion. It is just that each person is different in what they are looking for in a store.

I don't really care if someone loves store A, and hates store B, but I happen to love B and hate A. It just means we look at things differently, and if we are both happy, does it really matter?
Old 12/08/2007, 12:20 AM
Frag-a-holic

Well said Todd.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/08/2007, 12:25 AM
Moved On

Man, I LOVE that store! haha
Old 12/08/2007, 12:26 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Thanks GrandeGixxer.

Think that people need to remember that we all benefit from having more stores around the area.

And it is sometimes fun to disagree with someone else about what store they like compared to what they like. If it is done is an somewhat civil manner -- hey, got to give people the "business" once in a while. -- might learn something.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:30 AM
Male Gigolo

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Of all the stores in our area, I'm asking for all my holiday gift certificates to be from that store. Not because of all the "free" advertising they get but because they have the best, most colorful corals around! Also, because the owners are geat people & their tanks are immaculate. I never have to worry about catvching any nasties from them either. Before you start having resentments about them, maybe you should check them out.

So without even mentioning their name, you just started another thread adding to their free advertising (which will probably be closed very soon). And maybe you should try to write like an adult, so we can understand what you're trying to say. It's hard to take someone seriously when you write that way. I take a lot of time to read & correct my posts for punctuation, capitalization & spelling, so I sound like an adult.

(OK, I might be getting a ittle grumpy--I've been housebound for 18 days now & have to take pain pills & still can't go out for another week & 1/2. Going a lil stir-crazy here... )
You miss spelled "great" and "catching" and "lil" is not a word.