Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/07/2006, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Zeovit

Have anybody heard of the zeovit methode?
Old 06/07/2006, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

if you go to talkingreef.com the guy interviews the creator of the zeovit system in one of the episodes.
Old 06/07/2006, 12:21 AM
Dance 4 Life

If you go through the advanced and sps forums there's some very elaborate threads on the issue.
Old 06/07/2006, 01:17 AM
Brother Maynard

do a google on zeovit and you will find its own dedicated forum.

i run full zeovit system and has been absolutely phenomenol.

Ben.
Old 06/07/2006, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Hey Bergzy,

Did you start Zeo after I saw your tank a few month back? How about posting your observatiosn along with some before/after pictures?

Thanks!

C Dub
Old 06/07/2006, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to all, yes I did run google but I am looking for not ',interested'' info. Kind of I tried and, or its not so expensif but... or my corals just love it but I dont , or more serius stuff, ike real evaluation from pros like the ones we find on reefcentral...

tkyou
Old 06/07/2006, 02:07 PM
Dance 4 Life

Here's the Mother of all ZEOvit threads on RC:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 06/07/2006, 09:04 PM
Brother Maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by CW from the OC
Hey Bergzy,

Did you start Zeo after I saw your tank a few month back? How about posting your observatiosn along with some before/after pictures?

Thanks!

C Dub
heya's!!!

the wonderful photographer in me did not take before pictures as i should have.

you did see it though just i was starting full zeovit.

you are more than welcome to drop by anytime to browse my set up again! i would be happy to show you how zeovit works.

i would recommend zeovit to everyone and anyone who wants a spectacular reef tank...but a word of caution as it does require a strong handle of being able to control, adjust and maintain tight parameters. for those just starting out on today's endless amount of 'technology' to maintain a reef tank...i would first get the imprtant features of a reef tank...good lighting, good flow, excellent protein skimmer and a calcium reactor for those who keep stoney corals. use a regular filter mesh bag for carbon (been there done that with fluidized reactors...just a pita to maintain). get a good handle of all this 'stuff' and then go zeovit as it is in reality...mother nature's way of having a reef tank thrive!

Ben.
Old 06/08/2006, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the update and invite. I would really like to come see it and get your take on the system. My remodel is moving along and I'm considering trying Zeo on the new 210. I'll shoot you a PM.

Cheers,

C Dub
Old 06/08/2006, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the informations. I fallowed the tread and read all of it wow what a big debate.... in Québec canada we dont have that system yet but we will probably have it. I was considering using it, but since I am a dsb lover and not using all the ''techno'' stuff I will stay away from It. Thank you all It has permited me to poste a long explaination in french on quebec web site and chare info with fellow reefer. So keep at it .

Thanks
Old 06/08/2006, 11:21 AM
Brother Maynard

the concept of zeovit is interesting and the debate is even more interesting...

on the most part...what i have gathered and read...

those who swear that zeovit doesnt work or is pure hype...interestingly, have researched it but never used it or used it incorrectly. claims upon claims that it is snake oil and the such are the typical responses of the nay sayers and that there are many methods to achieve the same results. to this, imo, i will say that this is true...true because it is true in your own mind and if it is true in your own mind...no amount of verbal discussion or convincing will get you to believe that zeo works, the world is flat or that elvis is not really dead.

i very very grudingly started using zeovit as a last resort and if i didnt see the results i am seeing, i would have immediately stopped using it...i dont care about having and braging about 'this' and 'that'. i just wanted a spectacular reef tank to come home to.

there was just something 'missing' on my system that wouldnt give it that 'oomph' i wanted. it was not the lack or husbandry or the misunderstanding of reefing...for some systems...i think it needs that extra component that zeo provided.

if you look into the core of zeovit...it is not equipment or gizmo's that make it work...the principles are similar to what a dsb does...using nature...the zeoliths absorb ammonia...absorbing ammonia immediately and taking it out of the water colum has one result...no conversion to nitrite and nitrate. there is a bacterial component that replicates the oligotrohpic (read this on the zeo forum..i am not a marine biologist) conditions that are found naturally in oceans. the nitrate and phosphate reducing components are by far the most effective i have ever seen. so effective that i had to take my refugium down as there was ZERO nitrates and phosphates in my system. this was something that i could never achieve...getting my nutrients so low that chaeto wouldnt grow.

zeo, imo and from what i have read, is the furthest thing from anyting techno. it goes back to the basis that mother nature is the ultimate method. the only gizmo that zeo recommends is really good skimming.

believe me, i have tried almost every gizmo out there to try and achieve the results i am seeing with zeo...double beckett skimmers (not dual nozzles...TWO HUGE separate becketts) running along with two smaller ER's...ozone injection, about 8 pounds live rock per gallon of water for more biofiltration, rowaphos, purigen, phosguard etc, etc, etc...the list is too long.

dsb's, ime, have been great in the beginning but have all met their fate, again, ime, by eventually becoming messy settling chambers. i loved refugiums but it never got my nutrients low enough to have the tank that i wanted. on the zeo forum...there are reefers that also use dsb's...so this is not a contraindication.

the talk of a lot of reefers is about nutrients is nitrate...nitrate, nitrate...nitrate. while nitrate is a component for nuisance algae like hair...the real culprit is phosphates...get your phosphates down...way down...in the 0.02 range and you will see incredible things start to happen. not only does phosphates spawn nuisance algae...but it affects coral health as well.

as i said before...zeo is not for everyone...as i feel it, like anything completely new in thinking, requires a steep learning curve...but for those who use it correctly...the results CAN be breath taking.

Ben.