Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Andrew Trevor-Jones
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05/06/2007, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Feeding corals

I LOVED your article...I have been target feeding all of my corals for years...one trick I found to be very helpful and keep from overfeeding the tank is this: After the food to be used is thawed out in water, I use a long pipette or Kent Sea Squirt to take some of the water only out of the container. DON'T use any food at this point, just the water that the food was thawed out in. I squirt it over the corals to be fed. It doesn't take a lot, just squirt some of the water onto the coral....usually within a couple of minutes you will see the coral expanding and putting it's feeding tentacles out. I allow them to fully extend, then I begin to feed them the mysis, oyster eggs or fish eggs. Their tentacles are already out, they quickly grab up the food and more of it. Hungry corals are already primed as it were and ready to eat, they responded rapidly when the actual food touches them and it doesn't allow the fish time to steal it away.

I have had rapid growth on all my corals and an increase in color. I find that feeding with this method allows me to feed at anytime of the day or night that's convienent for me and works extremely well with Sun Corals as they require target feeding anyway.

I guess it's kind of like Pavlov's dogs but instead of ringing the dinner bell I just give them a hint of the goodies to come.

Why not try this method and see how it works for you. I find I don't even have to go through the hassle of turning off the powerheads, feeding tentacles are "sticky" and hold the food just fine.