Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 01/10/2008, 10:34 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Who plays hockey? Explain this? It's more like hockeyfighting no?

I went to my first live hockey game a few weeks ago for a company holiday, and it seemed like fights were as exciting as a goal was.

I found it kind of odd that ref's just let the players duke it out until they hit the ice, and people love'em! Looks like they fight because it's part of the game, rather than really being mad at each other.

Why is this? It's not that I'm against it, but what an influence to younger kids?

Look at this crazy hockey game, it's more like free for all gang wars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25...eature=related
Old 01/10/2008, 11:06 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

because the refs don't get paid enough to get in the middle of the fight and get hit/hurt themselves!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:07 PM
Tailspot Blenny

that's it?
Old 01/10/2008, 11:12 PM
Moved In

It's a pretty violent game for sure. I doubt that's the real reason, but it doesn't hurt.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

what would you do if someone was constantly tripping you or hitting you with a stick?

Old 01/10/2008, 11:21 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I swear there was a ban on fighting put on the NHL or at least the minor leagues a couple/few years ago but it has never been enforced from what I have seen. The fighting is truely childish and more of an ego thing from what I can tell. I don't even know what hockey is anymore cause of all the fighting. Aren't they supposed to fling them cow pucks at a net or something?
Old 01/10/2008, 11:22 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Quote:
Originally posted by jpfelix
what would you do if someone was constantly tripping you or hitting you with a stick?
That playa should be thrown out the damn game then.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:54 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

I am a huge college hockey fan. My daughter's boyfriend is the captain of a WCHA team, but I won't watch professional hockey because of the thuggish behavior of the players. What other professional sport allows the players to beat each other bloody? Why stop the fight only after someone goes down onto the ice? Why not let them beat each other to unconsciousness or even to death? It's idiocy.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:02 AM
Hawks Rule!

Hockey without fighting is like an aquarium without water.

Go Hawks!

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 01/11/2008, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

There is not nearly as much fighting in hockey as there used to be. And it seems to me, the refs do break it up before someone goes down to the ice. It depends though, cause a ref is not going to get in the middle of something that he could get hurt in. They usually wait till a slight break in the action to get between them. I love hockey, but the fights totally bore me, and detract from the game IMO. GO DEVILS!!!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

As a former college player. Hockey is one of the few sports that polices itself. Issues are resolved on the ice. That is the reason refs don't get involved in a fight. The NHL has implemented new rules to open the game. With these rules, some of the goons don't have a job. The NHL has decided to make it more family frendly. It really has changed the game.

Pro football is a far more violent game. Looks like some peope here have never played a sport, nor been to a hockey game. Your views are a little off.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:23 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by scotmc
Pro football is a far more violent game. Looks like some peope here have never played a sport, nor been to a hockey game. Your views are a little off.
Football players block and tackle each other, sometimes at high velocity. College hockey players check and collide with each other at high velocities. However, they don't square off for five minutes and beat each other bloody and knock each other's teeth out. I also don't recall assault charges being brought against football players for hitting someone in the face with a stick or purposely smashing someone's head into the ice knocking them into unconsciousness.

PS: I worked as an official at high school hockey games in Minnesota for five years.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

When was the last time you went to a professional hockey game?? (1960). I think your confusing the UFC with professionl Hockey. I have friends who have played both sports professionaly. They both agree, football is far more harmfull to the body. There are studies proving professional football is the most violent sport to the body. Do your homework. How many football players have been paralyzed for life?? Every year, you have players that break some bones in their bodies. The playing life of a professional football player is far shorter than a hockey player.

I think, there haven been three instances where a professional hockey players have hit someone over the head with a stick, with intent to harm. They were banned for life.

A football player can paralyze another player for life. If it was a legal hit their no actions taken against him. How many Professional players have been paralyzed for life, playing hockey?

What does you being an official at high school hockey games in Minnesota for five years have to do with anything. First, were are talking about professional sports. Second, did you even play the game of hockey?? If not, you really have no clue.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:45 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
If not, you really have no clue.
You are obviously the only one here who knows anything about hockey, the practice of medicine, or violence. We bow at the throne of your greatness! Thank you for the enlightenment.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:49 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

And I am sure Dr. Joey has seen way more broken noses, fractures of the skull, jaw, teeth, etc. by way of hockey than he has of broken bones, etc due to football but that's something that only the Dr. can fill us in on.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:50 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
And I am sure Dr. Joey has seen way more broken noses, fractures of the skull, jaw, teeth, etc. by way of hockey than he has of broken bones, etc due to football but that's something that only the Dr. can fill us in on.
I'm not sure if the good Doc could answer those questions accurately or not. Let's ask scotmc.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:53 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Oh, I'm sorry that name should have been in place of Dr. Joey. Good catch!
Old 01/11/2008, 01:06 PM
Tailspot Blenny

scotmc: I don't think we're talking about who gets more hurt, but we're talking about "FIGHTING". There's a difference when you learn how to tackle and take hits correctly, when it's controlled and not part of aggression of two people fighting with malice. It's one thing to teach kids martial arts, it's another to teach them to just fight with someone when they get mad.

sure football players get hurt much more often, but how often do you see football players fight each other?
Old 01/11/2008, 01:14 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Not too often. Yeah there are isolated incidences in football but those are the exception and not the rule, unlike hockey.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:47 PM
GO DUCKS!

Fighting is an important part of hockey. Teams use it to get the crowd back in the game and to even get their own team back in the game. If a kid wants to play hockey they need to know that fighting is a much a part of the game as scoring goals.

GO DUCKS!
Old 01/11/2008, 01:49 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Well isn't that a warped sense of team spirit.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:07 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
When was the last time you went to a professional hockey game?? (1960)
1960? Was that a guess or a slam on my age? To answer your first question, my last pro hockey game was last year, the Minnesota Wild in "Hockeytown, USA" St. Paul, Minnesota. (No fights, just a clean game that night. Free tickets.)
Quote:
I think your confusing the UFC with professionl Hockey.
Did you look at the video link at the beginning of this thread? Name another sport (beside the UFC) where such behavior is allowed, even encouraged?
Quote:
football is far more harmfull to the body. There are studies proving professional football is the most violent sport to the body. Do your homework.
I am well aware of injury occurrence statistics. Basketball and volleyball have relatively high injury rates as well, but we're talking about fighting in this thread, not injuries sustained during the clean play of a game.
Quote:
What does you being an official at high school hockey games in Minnesota for five years have to do with anything. First, were are talking about professional sports. Second, did you even play the game of hockey?? If not, you really have no clue.
So playing hockey is the only qualification that allows one to discuss the fighting in the sport? Being an ex-official and a student of the game still leaves me "clueless?" That would be like me saying that if you are not an orthopedic surgeon, neurosurgeon or ER doc, you are clueless and unqualified to have an opinion on the medical aspects of sports.
Quote:
Originally posted by rockindacheeks
If a kid wants to play hockey they need to know that fighting is a much a part of the game as scoring goals.
That hasn't been the experience of my daughter's boyfriend, who co-captains a Top 20 college team and plays defense. He's been in two hockey fights in his life.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:12 PM

"I went to fight thread and a hockey thread broke out"
Old 01/11/2008, 02:19 PM
Hawks Rule!

Sure looks like the fans are loving the fight to me.

Reminds me of my first live NHL game. The Blackhawks vs. The Minnesota North Stars. There was a fight in the pregame warmups, two all out brawls in the first ten seconds, 5 ejections, and 280 penalty minutes.

Fighting has it's place in the NHL.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 01/11/2008, 02:23 PM
GO DUCKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaticman74
Fighting has it's place in the NHL.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I think fighting makes hockey even better than it already is.