Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/30/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Matt,

The sale ended last Friday . If you go to MACNA, I believe there are usually some specials. If you want to have T5's over a 72 inch tank, your options are this or two 36 inch fixtures. I have heard nothing but positive comments about this fixture. I had already decided to purchase one and the sale just moved up my purchase date.

Bill
Old 08/30/2006, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

here's what Grim said I should run for a whitish/bluish look on a 72x18x22 tank.

----------------------------------------------------

I would go with 2 rows of ATI blueplus lamps, 2 rows of UVL super actinics, 1 row of ATI aquablues and 2 rows of either UVL aquasuns or D&D midday.

--------------------------------------------------

That's what I'll start out with and see how it looks.

Dave
Old 08/30/2006, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Dave,

What look are you going for? Any color or natural or white? What do you think that combo above will give you? Thanks. ~Matt
Old 08/30/2006, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Matt, I really don't know what look that combo will give me. I told grim that I was after a whitish/bluish look for my tank, and that is what he suggested.

As far as bulb color spectrum.. I don't know a thing. That's why you see me asking so many question's here and in the t-5 thread.

Most everyone says grim knows his stuff about lighting so I'll go with what he says. I may change later when I need to replace my bulbs but give this a shoot first.

What doe's grim do for a living anyway? Anyone know?

Dave
Old 08/31/2006, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

Any pic's yet???

Come on, I'm going crazy..

I'll be gone for the weekend, after I get back I WANT SOME PIC'S!!!

OK.. please

Dave
Old 08/31/2006, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

I just setup the light. What do you want pictures of, the fixture or how the tank looks?
Old 09/01/2006, 12:57 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by atvdave

What doe's grim do for a living anyway? Anyone know?

Dave
I hear he sits on his butt answering lighting questions but I could be wrong

I am on disability so I have a lot of time to learn about this stuff. In a former life I was a technician and used to have to set up and calibrate laser color printers and copiers. You had to learn about lighting to understand how to adjust the things.
Old 09/01/2006, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

I ended up going with:

3 UVL SA
1 GE Daylight
2 Aqua Blue
1 AB Plus

Per side in this order Front to Back:

SA
AB+
AB
GE
SA
AB
SA

Maybe it is just the order I have them in, but it is pretty pink/purple. I think I am going to replace one of the SA on each side with an additional GE and use this order front to back:

SA
AB
GE
AB+
GE
AB
SA

--Ray
Old 09/01/2006, 03:35 PM

You running Aquablues and aquablue Pluses? If that is the case ditch the AB + lamps (those are D&D brand right?) Move the row 2 AB to row 4, move the SA lamps to row 2 and add ATI blue Plus lamps to row 1. You will like.

Front
BP
SA
GE
AB
GE
AB
SA
Old 09/01/2006, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
You running Aquablues and aquablue Pluses? If that is the case ditch the AB + lamps (those are D&D brand right?) Move the row 2 AB to row 4, move the SA lamps to row 2 and add ATI blue Plus lamps to row 1. You will like.

Front
BP
SA
GE
AB
GE
AB
SA
To clarify since I think I used the wrong names on my bulbs, here are my bulbs in their current order front to back:

UV Lighting Super Actinic
ATI Blus Plus
ATI Aqua Blue
GE Daylight
ATI Aqua Blue

--Ray
Old 09/01/2006, 04:47 PM

OK, swap the UV SA and Blue Plus positions so the blue Plus in in front and see what you think. That should make it look more blue.
Old 09/01/2006, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

I will give it a try tonight.

Thanks for your help.

--Ray
Old 09/02/2006, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Matt,

Hopefully you have noted that the sale is back on for the rest of this month .

Bill
Old 09/02/2006, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

I have and Tom made good. My light was ordered the day I posted the question and I emailed and talked to Tom. Hey was great. I'm in behind some of the other orders and looking forward to getting my fixture!!!

I hope everyone that is getting one of the 72" posts what they found the best combo...especially if people are outfitting with night lighting and dusk dawn setups. Thanks. ~Matt
Old 09/02/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I am going to order this fixture also. Is anybody running moon lights with this fixture? Are you resting this light right on top of your tank or using the risers? I'm so glad they extended the 10% off price.
Old 09/02/2006, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Hi ,I'm considering the 72" fixture and was wondering should all the bulbs come on at the same time or...
Old 09/02/2006, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Can this 72 inch fixture be used under a wood canopy?The canopy is 10 inches high and back is open
Old 09/02/2006, 08:17 PM

You guys should hit the aquactinics forum and ask the questions.
Old 09/04/2006, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Hi Ray, I too am looking at buying the same unit. I am just starting a 220 and will have live rock, fish and some inverts. Someday, I will grow into coral . For now, I dont need to fully run 14 lamps and can just disconnect some. I looked at the Outer Orbit Model 1074. Brand new and awesome. Has 4 tfs, 3 metal Halides and 12 moon lights built in. The aquatinics model does not come with moonlights which is sub optimal.

John
Old 09/04/2006, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grouper25
Hi Ray, I too am looking at buying the same unit. I am just starting a 220 and will have live rock, fish and some inverts. Someday, I will grow into coral . For now, I dont need to fully run 14 lamps and can just disconnect some. I looked at the Outer Orbit Model 1074. Brand new and awesome. Has 4 tfs, 3 metal Halides and 12 moon lights built in. The aquatinics model does not come with moonlights which is sub optimal.

John
I actually am selling my 72 inch outer orbit (3x150 HQI and 4x96 PC + moolights) and it is being replaced by this fixture.

--Ray
Old 09/04/2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TracyZeuner
I am going to order this fixture also. Is anybody running moon lights with this fixture? Are you resting this light right on top of your tank or using the risers? I'm so glad they extended the 10% off price.
I am planning to order it also. Wish it came with moonlights though. For a 220, I will have to order 3 lights and have 3 more seperate plugs to operate. Oh well, Was torn between the Outer Orbit #1074(awesome Halide/ T5 with 12 moonlights but the Actinics won me over.
John
Old 09/04/2006, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by raynist
[B]I actually am selling my 72 inch outer orbit (3x150 HQI and 4x96 PC + moolights) and it is being replaced by this fixture.

Guess you had it with power compac ha.
Ray , hope you don't mind , but I may copy your bulb configuration when I order. Just starting out and will have fish only and some inverts. Later, some corals that will blend in.

John
Old 09/04/2006, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by grouper25
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by raynist
I actually am selling my 72 inch outer orbit (3x150 HQI and 4x96 PC + moolights) and it is being replaced by this fixture.

Guess you had it with power compac ha.
Ray , hope you don't mind , but I may copy your bulb configuration when I order. Just starting out and will have fish only and some inverts. Later, some corals that will blend in.

John
I am going to be switching out 2 of the UVL SA with GE daylights. The tank is too purple right now.
Old 09/04/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Grim I have the same fixture and looking to order some bulbs. Would like a white color to the tank versus a purple color. Any suggestions and TIA.

Ray Can you show us a shot of the tank with the lights on ?
Old 09/04/2006, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

OK ray. I'm back in town

Post some pic's

I'd like to see it with the lights on, and a pic of just the fixture itself.

Aquatinics doesnt have a good pic of it on there web sight.

Thanks
Dave