Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/21/2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

What type of Urchin is really reef safe?

Hey All,

I have been reading on sea urchins because I would like to get one to help with some of the coralline that is growing on my glass. Does anyone know of one that is TRULY REEF SAFE???

I have anemones, soft corals and hard corals, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

THANKS
Old 03/21/2006, 07:17 PM
I am Nano

Longspines eat coralline. I didn't know some urchins weren't reef safe...
Old 03/21/2006, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Ya, the only ones that are really not "reefsafe" are the pencil urchins. I have black shortspine and a hot pink Pincusion urchin that are both "reef safe". I have softies,SPS,LPS, and anemones in my tank so they pretty much dont bother anyone.
Old 03/22/2006, 01:50 AM
Premium Member

Tuxedo urchins eat even more coralline than the long spines and have the added advantages of remaining smaller and being much more easily avoided. You'll feel like less of a pin cushion.

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 03/22/2006, 12:32 PM
I am Nano

Yeah, aren't the longspines poisonous? Maybe not...
Old 03/22/2006, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Longspines are not poisonous. If you do manage to get a spinne stuck in you it could take a very long time to get it out. It has been said that if you don't somehow manage to get them out when you get stuck thay they will actually migrate though you hand or fingers and will eventually come out the other side.

That being said, longspines are good reef inhabitants and will eat green algae better than any other urchin.

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 03/22/2006, 03:30 PM
I am Nano

Other side? *shudders*
Old 03/22/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Pencil urchins might not be reef safe, otherwise I think most of them are. make sure you don't get the cold water urchins as they will not live long in your reef setting. I have two purple urchins and am very happy with them. They eat hair algae. They also eat coraline but they spread coraline as they eat them. I've been stung by a longspine urchin, it is not venomous but it is painful.
Old 03/22/2006, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

I had a pencil urchin that mowed down a whole rock of orange zoo's before so I definatly dont recomend one.
Old 03/22/2006, 08:55 PM
I am Nano

I also have a purple urchin, and they are really cool. More compact than the longspine, and (as you said) mine eats hair algae, as well as cyano! I was shocked to see him eat cyano, but relieved as well! there is a new study that longspines (I think longspines...) are now thought to have a lifespan of over 200 years in the wild. Very interesting...

Brock
Old 03/23/2006, 01:33 AM
Team RC Member

The longspines also tend to nudge rock. I've had the purple short-spines. They were not bad, and were interesting to watch.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 03/23/2006, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I think I might try a longspine now! lol.
Old 03/23/2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

My pencil was totally cool until yesterday when he sat on a Xenia stalk. And ate the whole thing. The rock is bare!!! Totally freaked me out. I didn't think anything ate Xenia. Other than that he is cool.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 03/23/2006, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Ya, thats the only down side to them.
Old 03/25/2006, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

Pincushion Urchin, Blue Tuxedo sometimes called Globe Urchin. Very cool little guy that will not bother anything. He climbs up on my rock with colony polyps at night and eats the coraline on the rock in between them. NEVER hurt anything in my tank. Intresting little guy to watch too!
Old 04/03/2006, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for not getting back sooner, doing yard work and trying to get that going before hot weather sets in..

Thanks everyone.. I think I am going to go with the Blue Tuxedo, I have read that they are the safest