Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2005, 07:07 PM
Whoo Hoo! 500!

Stevan,

What do you think of your Eheim Ecco? That is one of the ones I was looking at. I decided that every piece of equipment from now on will have a larger tank in mind.

Quote:
And honestly I don't know how much better off I'll be, other then the fact that I'll have more water and I wont have to look at the Remora on the top of my tank.
Yea, that's kind of how I'm feeling now. I will say I am very happy without all my junk hanging off the back. I wanted a sump/fuge to increase my water volume, keep a healthier tank, and practice being a plumber
Old 02/23/2005, 07:50 PM
Moved On

I'll tell you what...I'd go with the Fluval if I were you. I'd just replace the ribbed tubing which I think can trap crud. The only downside to the Fluval is it's sometimes a PITA to get the flow started. It's better built then the ECCO. Perhaps the Fluval is not as rugged as the top end Eheims but it's much cheaper. My wife took my Fluval 304 that I was using w/my SW tank and now uses it for her fancy GoldFish!

The ECCO is all around more cheaply made. The piping is too short to make 2 5 foot lengths and its ugly green too.

And I broke mine right out of the shoot!

I guess I didn't have the cover seated properly on the canister when I pulled the handle down...SNAP! Off came the handle. Good thing I bought it from DrsFoster and Smith who just said send it back to them. If I had bought from MarineDepot I'd be screwed.

Never had an issue closing the Fluval securely and it ran flawlessly for 2+ years. We also have 2 other Fluvals also perfect. Here I thought I was upgrading.
Old 02/24/2005, 10:07 PM
Whoo Hoo! 500!

Today I've got skimmate. It's not anywhere near the quality I was getting when it was on the display tank. I'm pulling very lightweight foam that turns to sort of a straw color in the cup. I guess I should be happy at least I'm pulling SOMETHING but I'm not. Since I started my sump/refugium project, (which right now it's a sump with a little sand and a tiny amount of rubble rock for the benefit of my oddity of a hairy red hermit) I'm developing a good bit of a brown and green film algae problem. I suppose it's bound to happen when your skimmer isn't in the proper place to do it's job. I'm really hoping Mr. Calfo sees this, and can lend kind typing hands for me.

"Yes, reeses, your sump is a horrible design, your skimmer belongs on the island of misfit toys, and you and your silly little tank are doomed! muhahaha."

Help?

Old 02/24/2005, 10:47 PM
Parapterois heterura

Reeses... the CPR backpak is not a bad skimmer for the price... very affordable, but not too consistent IMO. It requires (like many other decent mid-shelf skimmers) rather frequent tuning...sometimes daily tweaks of air or water flow. M
And adjust the air daily as needed. In general... keep venturis very (!) clean and boost air with a strong(er) pump and needle valve for fine tuned control.
Old 02/24/2005, 11:40 PM
Whoo Hoo! 500!

Oh my goodness Mr. Calfo, thank you for answering me.

I posted a pic of my diy sump (it's on the page before) and I was having a conversation with Stevan about what I did to try to increase performace (ok, just GET some performace) since I added the sump to my tank. Apparently I've got a lot more reading to do about why a skimmer works and the ideal conditions for having good skimmate production since initally my sump was acting like my skimmer because it was too turbulent. Can I possibly make this work with how I've designed my sump? I already slowed the flow in my overflow so there isn't any movement on the surface anymore, although my penguin filter still causes a slight movement.

If you wouldn't mind looking back a page and giving me one more bit of advise, I would be ever so grateful.

Anthony Calfo answered me! That's it, I'm going to support RC!
Old 02/24/2005, 11:49 PM
Parapterois heterura

cheers, Reeses

my apologies... I'm answering mail fast tonight and didn't peep your earlier post/pic.

There may be a rather simple solution to your dilemma here, as best I can tell from the pic/layout:

Plumb that tidy little drain line (overflow) to run directly into the skimmer and boost the air if needed. Totally bypass the powerhead feeding the skimmer.

And do be sure to get the best surface skimmed water from the display above, if possible.

If I'm missing something re: layout... perhaps we could trouble you for a side view (pic or drawing)?
Old 02/25/2005, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Anthony,

Great discussion thank a lot.
Any ideas for the CPR CY194 unit. I am not able to get same amount you are talking about.
Old 02/25/2005, 12:56 AM
Whoo Hoo! 500!

It's crude, but hopefully you'll get the idea. I'm a little confused about how I'm supposed to run the drain line into the skimmer since the skimmer needs the powerhead to run.

I've got an amiracle overflow that is taking water a hair less than a half an inch.

No need for apologies, I understand your a busy guy with lots of people asking you lots of questions

Thank you
And I really did just buy a premium membership.

Sorry, meant for the pic to display here, but it didn't and I'm not sure why. Still learnin'.
Old 02/25/2005, 01:03 AM
Parapterois heterura

wow! Thanks so much for supporting the site! For how fast and furious the archives are growing, its not small feat to keep the machine running I myself joined as a premium member before coming a mod... I really liked/wanted the spell check feature

As for your skimmer... it still looks easy/doable.

Your Skimmer does not need a powerhead per se to drive it... it merely needs X galls per hour running through it. That is easy enough to reckon, compare and adjust (see powerhead size/capacity and how that rates with your return sump pump volume).

You most likely can take the feed powerhead off the skimmer and attach the overflow drain line to the skimmer instead (change the elbow upwards... glue or add a new fitting if needed).

Anyone else reading this thread modified a CPR similarly? Pics or reassurance for Reeses perhaps?

kind thanks to all,

Anthony
Old 02/25/2005, 01:05 AM
Parapterois heterura

arpax/all... I hate to admit it (I really like the CPR company ethic/products)... but their skimmers I am just not thrilled with. If it were me... I would not tinker with it. Too much work for inconsistent skimmate production. The jump (expense) to a much more reliable, less labor intensive skimmer is just not that much more. FWIW
Old 02/25/2005, 01:21 AM
Whoo Hoo! 500!

Boy you type fast. lol

When I had my bakpak on the display, it was pulling much, much more skimmate and it was dark green and smelled like.....bad low tide. I had to empty it every other day. I know that's not quite your standards for skim production, but I thought it was pretty darn spiffy for a tank that doesn't even have fish yet.

Unfortunately, I just bought this skimmer and I can't return it.

I thought that since the water is overflowing into my refugium area that in essence it would sort of be the same as your suggestion about having your overflow go into a bucket that held the skimmer. By slowing my drain down to just over the point that my U-tube won't get bubbles, I was hoping the flow would be slow enough to make it work. So where per say, are the bad boys that need to leave in the water column? Are they still sort of suspended or are they more likely at the top? And if that's the case, I could buy the overflow box for the skimmer or move it back (lower) where it was.

Oy <> lol

Thank you so much for all the help, I really, really appreciate it.
Old 02/25/2005, 01:27 AM
Parapterois heterura

as long as the skimmer feed pump/powerhead is drawing from very close to the surface... and that water level/surface is very steady... it should work reasonably well. Still not as good as raw water going directly into the skimmer though.

And no worries about the skimmer brand... CPRs are great for folks that don't mind making the adjustments... and they are frustrating for folks that do mind. That's the dichotomy
Old 02/25/2005, 01:45 AM
Whoo Hoo! 500!

OK, so I think I'm at the best I can get for right now. Might buy the overflow box for it. I don't mind tinkering with it, that's kinda fun. It just stops being fun when it refuses to cooperate!

I'll move my penguin back up to the display and see if it makes a difference. When I started this whole thing, I didn't orginally plan on adding a sump, I sort of got "carried away" and decided I wanted a fuge.

I'll change the air valve on it, and maybe put a bigger powerhead if I can.

When I decide to upgrade, I'll buy the remora and put it on the drain line. Boy, warning for all freshwater people who convert to saltwater....very addicting, very educational, and a whole lot more fun

Thanks again Mr. Calfo, you made my night.
Your practically a celebrity here, you know.

Oh yea, if you want, have a peep here at my unidentified pistol shrimp thread. I've been losing sleep trying to figure this one out!
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=534801

Thanks again, and good night.
Old 02/25/2005, 01:51 AM
Parapterois heterura

aw, thanks again Reeses.... and I just noticed you are a fellow Pennsylvanian. Which part of the state? We have several good clubs around. Big ones in Pittsburgh and Philly (I'll be in Philly the second week of April)
Old 02/25/2005, 01:56 AM
Whoo Hoo! 500!

I'm in Allentown. I saw on parc that you were at pets plus in philly a couple of weekends ago? I wanted to attend, but I'm not sure if those meetings are appropriate to bring two young kids to. How informal/formal are they? I've been in philly to visit The Hidden Reef a few times.
Old 02/25/2005, 02:08 AM
Parapterois heterura

ah, no... haven't been there yet... its all happening in April

Most club meetings are very informal and children are most always welcome. Do check with this club and see if that's the case. If children are not allowed, please let me know... I'll be sure to make note which club not to return too or recommend

Good heaven's... I cannot imagine excluding kids! Future of the hobby, sharing the wonder of the sea with (young) folks that really appreciate it, etc.
Old 02/25/2005, 02:13 AM
Whoo Hoo! 500!

Will do!
Old 02/25/2005, 10:50 AM
Moved On

Reeses...Try my newfound trick and add AZ-NO3 and see if your skimmer works better with that stuff. Follow the dosing regime until it starts working and stay at that amount and lower it slowly. See how it works for you.

It jumpstarted my all but non-functional Remora.

Anthony, Do you know what this stuff is? I heard it might be similar to Karo Syrup.
Old 02/25/2005, 02:25 PM
Parapterois heterura

there are some very old tricks for testing (design flaw - ability to produce skimmate at all) or tweaking skimmers.

Way back in the 80's we used to use any water conditioner that had colloids. You know... so called "skin conditioners" for fishes mixed with dechlorinator.

Novaqua was one of (the?) first to offer this commercially. Really... any water conditioner with colloids in it will goose your skimmer performance. It should not be necessary though.

Just be sure you are going to be home for some hours after adding such. Else you might come home to a foam monster trying to eat the family dog
Old 02/25/2005, 02:42 PM
Moved On

Yup Anthony I hear you about the quantity of foam that arises after using Stress Coat etc. Massive.

That's not what happens w/AZ-NO3. I just get what I would imagine I would be getting from my Remora if it was working properly, just a few ozs of dark smelly skimmate daily out of my 30 gal tank. I'm going to take the Remora apart and clean it again this weekend. AquaC suggested I remove the pre-skimmer box (that they initially recommend you buy!) and see if that helps!

Sheesh.
Old 02/25/2005, 11:56 PM
Parapterois heterura

heehee... interesting
Old 02/25/2005, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Anthony,how if I place the feeding pump of my skimmer near the water surface ? because I can not drill any more...
Old 02/26/2005, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Reeses,

Have you tried changing out the pump on the Bak Pak? I used a Bak Pak for 5 years, and didn't have to fool with it every day. It was not on a sump though.

I subsittuted a Maxi-Jet 1200 for the Rio that came with it, and it worked better. (you need to get the venturi adaptor for the Maxi Jet - only a couple of dollars) I also added an airstone in the bottom of the skimmer bubble column and that greatly improved the skimmate.
Old 02/26/2005, 02:02 PM
Moved On

What would we all do if these HOB Skimmers really worked out of the box in every case!

I just saw that Tunze makes one...Big and ugly as it is, has anyone had any experience w/it?

Anthony-have you seen it?
Old 02/26/2005, 02:50 PM
I Need An Intervention!

Anthony,

I want to say first I enjoyed the reef trendy article as much as the article you penned on reef lighting and simple things to make lighting go farther.

So here is my next question. I currently own the Deltec MCE 600 and I do get a cup of skimmate each day with this skimmer on my 50 gallon cube acro reef. It was easily tuned and easy to maintain. But reading this I now know that I may need to take the intake up closer to the surface for even better skimmate production.

On to the nest question: I have ordered a 60*42*24 (was going to make it 48 deep but I have short arm and had to settle LOL) and am skimmer shopping now.

I have read all the threads about the Bubble Kings and the most attractive things are really the pump at 58 watts as opposed to a Euro reef or other skimmer that uses several Sedra pumps. The other contenders Are the Deltec 702 which is an external model that can be gravity fed with raw tank water or the H&S with three aquabee pump (90 watts total) internal model.

If I go with an internal model how do I construct teh dedicated skimemr box? Is it possible just to use a standard tank and have an overflow bulkhead drilled to feed the "sump proper" as you put it LOL WOuld I directly feed from the overflow to this dedicated skimmer vessel from one 1.5 inch drain and have the other feeding the sump?

I do appreciate the knowledge from all here on R/C!!