Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/29/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

How to get a Naso to eat?

I have a small Blonde Naso tang. That I got from a LFS. I was told it was eating. But I can't get this guy to eat.

I have tried the following: Nori, Mysis, PE Mysis, Brine shrimp. I have even tried soaking all foods in Garlic Extreme. And still can't get him to eat anything.
Old 09/29/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Oops, I meant to put this in Reef Discussion.
Old 09/29/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Try to get some brown algae. Blondo naso main diet in the wild is brown algae. It may gazed on somethng else in the tank.
Old 09/29/2007, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my naso. I finally got him to eat cheato. Now he eats like a pig
Old 09/29/2007, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

Crazy how that happens with the blonde naso's-mine did the same. Keep the food ready available for him and do the water changes to account for it. I was talking to Mike "acropora nut" about this type of situation and he recommended broccoli and to just wash it well, I haven't tried it , but it's obvious Mike has had success.
Old 09/29/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

KEEPERZ, I'll give the broccoli a try. Maybe it will work.
Old 09/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Fonda about 2yrs ago I bought a blonde naso from Live Aquaria. They said he was eating. When I put him in my tank he wouldn't eat for a few days. I was afraid of him starving. I put lettuce on a clip and he didn't mess with it. I put sea weed on a clip and he wouldn't mess with it. He finally started eating when he got use to the tank. What I did was put sea weed on a piece of rubble rock secured by a rubber band. When he would graze he would eventually come across the rock. After that putting food on a clip was a sinch!!!! He'll eat. Give him time...
Old 09/29/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

I got mine to start by putting green leaf or romaine lettuce on a clip then switched to nori. I still do the green leaf about once a week for a treat. All the fish go nuts for it.
Old 09/29/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

I have had the little guy for a week now. And I'll try the nori on a rock and see if he will eat it. Thanks for the tips.
Old 10/09/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by znut Reefer
I have had the little guy for a week now. And I'll try the nori on a rock and see if he will eat it. Thanks for the tips.
Is he eating yet?
Old 10/09/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

He is slowly trying to eat some brine shrimp. He is still alive so we'll see. Thanks for asking.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

If he's chasing pieces of food and not eating or spitting them out then he's just picky. Keep trying different foods until you find out what he likes. My PBT wouldn't eat anything but Ocean Nutrition 'Seaweed Selects' for the first three weeks I had it.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

I have a blonde naso as well and he loves baby spinach leaves and (i don't know why) my frozen angel food. At the LFS I watch this fish eat 5 different types of food that I had owned and for the first 4 days all he did was swim up and down the glass. Just like others said just leave some lettuce/nori/spinach on a rock and he will eat when hes ready.
GOOD LUCK.