Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/11/2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Trying again.......one last time to get/keep a healthy frogfish. Here he is............I call him Toni

fishy1
Old 04/11/2005, 08:54 PM
D00D

cant see it
Old 04/11/2005, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Sorry.....just re did the link and I think it works now
Old 04/11/2005, 09:04 PM
D00D

ah i see now, nice lookin frog. i always liked striatus but i have never actually seen one in a lfs.

best of luck!!!
Old 04/11/2005, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, Wee Man, hope he does better than the last one I had! Two days isn't a very good track record............

fishy1
Old 04/12/2005, 06:53 AM
VILP

I love Toni's markings! I've also never seen a Striatus in a local store. Best of luck with him!

Cheri
Old 04/12/2005, 01:35 PM
Ugly fishes need love too

Octopus' Garden in Berkeley has a hairy striatus... maybe about 2". It was still there last week. They had a red orange maculatus a while back. Don't know what happened to it though.
Old 05/02/2005, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I have reached an unfortunate point where my partner has negotiated that I will reduce my 10 tanks to 6. This means I'm gonna have to let go of my Yellow warty, which really does suk

I'm in Chicago and don't really don't trust any of the LFS, except maybe Old Town and don't want to put him through the stress of shipping him either. How can I find someone in the Chicago area that is looking to buy a happy little yellow angler???

Thanks for your help!
Old 05/03/2005, 06:31 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by jlo
I have reached an unfortunate point where my partner has negotiated that I will reduce my 10 tanks to 6. This means I'm gonna have to let go of my Yellow warty, which really does suk

I'm in Chicago and don't really don't trust any of the LFS, except maybe Old Town and don't want to put him through the stress of shipping him either. How can I find someone in the Chicago area that is looking to buy a happy little yellow angler???

Thanks for your help!
How about putting the word out w/ the folks at the Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society? http://www.petsforum.com/cmas/. They also have a pretty active forum here on Reef Central - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=180

Cheri
Old 05/04/2005, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

a few people have asked for an image - so here he is! i think he's very cute :P

Old 05/05/2005, 06:17 AM
VILP

I agree! I think he's adorable!

Cheri
Old 05/05/2005, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Update on Toni

Just thought I'd let you all know that Toni, my striated frogfish, came down with ich.......he's been in Cupramine for 5 days now and shows no sign of stress whatsoever He's still eating and behaving normally. I'm hopeful that he will make it through the treatment and live a long life........keep ing my fingers crossed......

Janey
Old 05/05/2005, 10:04 AM
VILP

Janey - sorry to hear that - best of luck! Keep us posted please!

Cheri
Old 05/10/2005, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I've been looking for a black maculatus with gold spots for a while, finally snagged a pair from Atlantis (they're RC sponsors). Now I have to set up a black tank to keep them dark
Old 05/10/2005, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

sorry, forgot to attach
[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/535/40142quad.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05/10/2005, 01:37 PM
VILP

Best of luck! My last A. maculatus that I bought from Atlantis died in less than a week. I don't blame them, because I believe they do a good job w/ their fish once they get them, but it was a huge disappointment (not to mention the $$$).

How do they know they are a pair??

Pictures please!

Cheri
Old 05/10/2005, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Is a 10 gallon tank to small for a frogfish species that stays smaller?

FROGfish
Old 05/10/2005, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on the maculatus, they are beautiful. My sargassum has doubled in size in about 4 months. You can see him and a few of my other favorite pets at http://www.plecos.net/gallery/index.php?cat=10017

--jenny
Old 05/10/2005, 03:56 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by 29GallonReefer
Is a 10 gallon tank to small for a frogfish species that stays smaller?
It is possible, though you would need to stay on top of the water chemistry all the time. Anglers are pretty substantial waste makers....

Cheri
Old 05/10/2005, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefcherie

How do they know they are a pair??

Pictures please!

Cheri [/B]
Wedding band is the tip-off . No, they're not a mated pair. They're only about 2" TL ea. It is always a risk buying anglers, unfortunately, they suffer from transit stresses and overzealous feeding. I find that, if they survive the first week, my success rates with these guys is very good. I usually lose them to bonehead moves (chiller breakdown, caulerpa crashes)

I've been posting pics of my frogfish to my yahoo album
you can click HERE
Old 05/10/2005, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Update on Toni.......he's doing quite well and will be coming out of Cupramine on Saturday No more signs of ich! I'm going to wait a couple more weeks (4 total) before introducing him back into his 20L home........I'll keep you posted on how things go. At this point I'm very hopeful he'll make it through

Janey
Old 05/10/2005, 11:21 PM
VILP

Great news Janey!

Cheri
Old 05/28/2005, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Theres nothing wrong with holding a frogfish in my sump for a while, is there?
Old 05/28/2005, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

I've not had any problems keeping frogfish in the sump...

But, I have a skimmer in the first compartment, frogfish go post skimmer, cleaner water. And ozone, kalk and reactor effluent go in last section, after frogfish.

I did have some nutrient build-up issues in the reef (I guess that is a problem). I ended up removing the anglers to a separate system
Old 05/28/2005, 09:08 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwagon
Theres nothing wrong with holding a frogfish in my sump for a while, is there?
I'd make sure he's got a rock or two or a Chaetomorpha ball to hang onto if you've got strong flow through your sump though. I really don't think they like getting blown around two much. Given that they swim like fat goldfish, I suspect swimming is an energy intensive exercise for them and fighting current when there is no "foothold" must be tough. My anger is in my refugium and he loves to hang upside down from the Chaeto ball. At other times at least one fin is anchored on a rock, often one fin on a rock w/ another on the bottom or side of the tank.

Cheri