Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Using Distilled water to fill up reefs

I have a question about using distilled water to reduce nitrates in reefs.

My BioCube 29 is at a very high nitrate count, and I asked for advice on water changes in the "New to the Hobby" forum. Most people said to do water changes using RO water.

Luckily, my tap water is already filtered using RO, but there is a bit of a problem. On my test strips I use, the water shows nitrates up to about 20ppm.

I know this is very bad for reef aquariums because nitrate levels are supposed to be under 10.

My question is, could I use distilled water and a calcium or reef essentials additive to do water changes and lower my nitrate count?

Oh I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once
Old 07/28/2007, 02:55 PM
Team RC Member

Water changes rarely work for long term nitrate problems. Maybe give this a read and get some ideas

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2003/chem.htm
Old 07/28/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

I just read that newsletter from another post about removing nitrates.

It's very good information, but unfortunately, I am removing nitrates on a low cost budget.

I am still using the carbon filter in the back of my BioCube, but I am not using bio balls anymore. Instead I am using live rock in the back.

I don't have a sump, so I can't put in a reactor or denitrator.

Maybe a nitrate sponge or something else I can put in a bag and stuff under my live rock in my filter will work.

I am going to do a 50%-75% water change to kick start the denitrification with distilled water, do I need to add anything to it other than salt to keep my water pristine?

Oh I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once
Old 07/28/2007, 03:15 PM
Team RC Member

Depends on what salt mix you are using. If you are going to change 50% of your water, you'll want to make sure it is well aerated and the calcium and alkalinity are close to what your tank is.
Old 07/28/2007, 04:10 PM
RC Mod

If nitrate tests at 20 ppm after an RO membrane, something's very wrong. I suspect the test strips aren't working. 20 ppm is above the US legal limits for drinking water.

Unless the tank contains stony corals, 20 ppm is not going to be harmful.
Old 07/29/2007, 12:18 PM
:::===( @ | }

Ive been using distilled for a year now, no problems.
Old 07/29/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

To answer your question and not give OTHER advise....yes distilled water is fine. Thats all I use.
Old 07/29/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

It's just instant ocean salt, but I am thinking of getting a calcium and alkalinity buffer just to be safe.

Also to help the nitrate, my parents went out and bought an opti-carb filter media from Fluval, that just increases nitrate ion exchange. Hopefully that will help.

I'm going to replace the carbon in a few days, it's just rotting away.

My stocking list is over in the nano reef forum, if anyone wants to take a look at it and make sure it is okay. So far, I think it is, just I won't be adding a single chromis and a pygmy instead of a coral beauty angel.

Old 07/30/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Never mind about the high nitrates.

It turns out my test kit went south.

Apparently according to the Red Sea Nitrate test, my nitrates in the BioCube are ranging from 2.5-5 ppm.

Don't get Jungle Test or any test that is less than $5 if you actually want an accurate test results.

Thanks for all the help anyways!!!