Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2006, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Tired of BAKING baking soda!!! Seeking Alternative

The title says it all.

I use close to 100ml a day of 2-part and I am TIRED of baking the stuff in the oven every few weeks.

Has anybody found an alternative? How many of you guys are using the Washing Soda? Have you had any problems?

Randy have you found a safe source of Sodium Carbonate that is cheap?

I just can't bake another tray of Bicarb!
Old 11/25/2006, 12:25 AM
a Buffer fish

Washing soda in the grocery store for washing clothes is sodium carbonate. Although it may not be as pure as baking soda for cooking it should be ok.
Old 11/25/2006, 03:58 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

i droped the same part of the recipe because of that reason. i still make my own CaC12 and Kalk. now i use Kent Marine, SuperBuffer dKH. its a whole lot easier and faster to mix as well as being more stable.

John,
Old 11/25/2006, 05:04 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Um, I use a calcium reactor so sorry but I can't help you guys out with cooking stuff and adding, etc.
Old 11/25/2006, 06:37 AM
Team RC Member

i wouldn't use the super washing soda. ive used it a few times and ive found if you leave it sit for a few hours after its mixed it leaves a residue at the water line. i dont know what it is but it looks and feels alot like soap

------------------------------------------------
Old 11/25/2006, 08:56 AM
Reef Chemist

Instead of Kent Superbuffer, I'd use unbaked baking soda if the baking is a chore. The washing soda may be OK, but I've not worked up a volume based recipe for it.
Old 11/25/2006, 10:04 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

If you are looking for a pure grade washing soda, Sodium Carboante/Soda Ash, look for Aquatronics Buffex. It has been in is hobby for more than 3 decades. Pete has discontinued many of his water additivies like Buffex, so it is very hard to find but here is one place.

http://www.futurepets.com/cgi-bin/FU...PARTNUM=ATM158

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 11/25/2006, 12:59 PM
RC Sponsor

if you are using that much couldn't you just bake a triple batch so you only have to do it a couple times a year ?

once it is mixed up how long does the solution last ?
Old 11/25/2006, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Well 3785 ml in a gallon at 100 ml a day = 38 Days Tripple batches are hard to bake.
Old 11/25/2006, 01:47 PM
Gold Star Recipient

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
Instead of Kent Superbuffer, I'd use unbaked baking soda if the baking is a chore. The washing soda may be OK, but I've not worked up a volume based recipe for it.
Does this mean you can use the instructions for KentSuperBuffer with unbaked baking soda?
Old 11/25/2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I cook it all at once. I spread enough for a 5 gallon batch on one large cookie sheet. Two batches at once gets me 10 gallons fills the oven.

I also buy my baking soda at ALDI's discountfood store at about half the price of a regular supermarket
Old 11/25/2006, 04:09 PM
Gastropod E.M.T.

Randy, anymore thought's on mixing with boiling water being enough to drive off the CO2.
Old 11/25/2006, 05:17 PM
Reef Chemist

It will; do that to some extent, maybe completely, but I'm not 100% sure. But it is a fine way to go if you want to try it.

Does this mean you can use the instructions for KentSuperBuffer with unbaked baking soda?

Probably, but I wouldn't rely on anything on the bottle to guide tank dosing, even using Superbuffer, but you can tell exactly how much baking soda to dose for a certain alkalinity rise using this calculator:

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 11/25/2006, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

The only downside to the super washing soda I've noticed is the residual mentioned above. A workaround that could/would help is to still bake your normal batch but then mix some of your cooked batch with the washing soda. Use as much washing soda as you can in the mix until you get to the point of the residual. You get the idea. You could try 50/50 for starters and see how that works.

When I used this before I did get the residual also but it was never enough to clog. I ignored it but moved the drip line so it would drip right over the pump for the skimmer. I figured if any part of the drip wasn't fully mixed the pump would take care of it for me. I'm not sure if it was a good idea or not but I did this for 5 years or so and don't know of any problems from it. That particular pump is still going strong so I know it hasn't shortened the life of the pump that I can tell.
Old 11/25/2006, 05:59 PM
Gastropod E.M.T.

John, if you want to stick with Kent, why not try the coral builder. It doesn't contain borate salt's like superbuffer does.
Old 11/25/2006, 06:05 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Whaledriver
I cook it all at once. I spread enough for a 5 gallon batch on one large cookie sheet. Two batches at once gets me 10 gallons fills the oven.

I also buy my baking soda at ALDI's discountfood store at about half the price of a regular supermarket
take it the solution has a pretty much indefinite shelf life then?
Old 11/26/2006, 08:32 AM
Reef Chemist

Yes, it will last forever if closed.
Old 02/04/2007, 02:03 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
one of the mods on our local forum told us that you can mix six parts baking soda with 1 part baked baking soda or washing soda and it will result in an alkalinity additive that will neither raise or lower the PH .

this sound about right ?
Old 02/04/2007, 03:01 PM
Reef Chemist

Yes, although he exact ratio depends on the pH that it is in tended to not raise or lower. Anywhere from 6:1 to 10:1, with more baked baking soda for high pH. The drop when using pure unbaked baking soda is actually very small.
Old 02/07/2007, 02:33 PM
RC Sponsor

I just thought id share my experience with the A&H super washing soda . After mixing it i really would not feel safe using it. It smelled like soap to me and made the water brown with some brown scum on the surface of the water.

These are pics of when i added the same amount of baked baking soda to the water. The soda was baked at 450 for 2 hours in a glass dish. These pics were taken with my phone so the quality isn't that great. In person the baked baking soda was almost crystal clear. You can really tell the difference in the shots that are looking down. One you can see the counter and one you cant see more than a few inches through the fluid.

Old 02/07/2007, 02:48 PM
Reef Chemist

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!
Old 02/07/2007, 03:02 PM
RC Sponsor

I'm going to try and get these guys to send me a sample of the food grade version and see if the results are the same.

http://www.genchem.com/soda-ash-food-grade.asp
Old 02/07/2007, 03:08 PM
Reef Chemist

That sounds like it should be a good way to go.
Old 02/07/2007, 03:09 PM
Gastropod E.M.T.

I tried it and some corals had a negative reaction to it. It was recommended to me by a famous reef expert. I'll stick with baking soda.
Old 02/07/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Randy, you said baked soda has an indefinate shelflife if kept in a closed container. What happens if it's left exposed to the air? I usually bake about 4lbs. at a time in a glass dish but I dont put a lid on it afterwards.