Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 03/21/2005, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

DIY Mg additive

Hi.
I just bought 1 Kg (2.5 lbs aprox) of MgCl2-6H2O ( Magnesium Chloride-6-hydrate).
How do you suggest to use it?
Someone told me I should make a 10% (by weight) solution. Should this solution be 10% of the Mg weight? 10% of MgCl2? or maybe 10% with the water molecules (hydrate)?

How much of this solution should be added to the tank each week ?

10xs
Shuky
Old 03/21/2005, 07:33 AM
Reef Chemist

I can't tell you how much to add for magnesium maintenance because that can only really be determined by measurement. This calculator shows how much to add to raise magnesium levels:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

I'd probably use it alone dissolved in fresh water, but you can make an even better supplement by mixing it with Epsom salts:

A Homemade Magnesium Supplement
http://web.archive.org/web/200306242...io/default.asp

This article has more on magnesium:

Magnesium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm
Old 03/21/2005, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

randy where can I buy this and what is it's public name?
magnesium chloride hexahydrate
thank you robert
Old 03/21/2005, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

I see it associated with alot of pesticide sites on the net so it kind of scares me should I be?
Old 03/21/2005, 10:52 AM
Reef Chemist

It is not easy to find high quality magnesium chloiride. Our reef club bought it in bulk (many 50 pound bags) from a distributor for the Dead Sea Works company.

No need to be concerned with magneisum chloride. It is sometimes sold to melt ice on driveways.
Old 03/21/2005, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

yes I run magnesium pro in my reactor to suppliment my magnesium but I wanted to have this stuff on hand to make adjustments when needed. I also use peladow for calcium a couple friends and I got together and purchased a bunch. I will try to find the distributor and probably split a bag with them. thanks for your help
robert
Old 03/21/2005, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Robthorn.

The minimum buy for the Dead Sea Works Mg(CL)2 was about $2000.00. If you find someone selling small quantities please post that here.

Phil
Old 03/21/2005, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

we will find it don't worry
Old 03/21/2005, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

robthorn,

Maybe we can get some more Florida reefers together and get a pallet load dropped off somewhere in the middle.

I'm sure we can come up with some folks from ORCA who would like some in the Central Florida area plus Tampa.

Paul
Old 03/21/2005, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

I found places to buy small quantities let me get ahold of them for a price. give me a couple days my schedule is crazy right now
Old 03/21/2005, 06:40 PM
Dirty Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lutefisk
robthorn,

Maybe we can get some more Florida reefers together and get a pallet load dropped off somewhere in the middle.

I'm sure we can come up with some folks from ORCA who would like some in the Central Florida area plus Tampa.

Paul
Count me in! I have been searching for a long time. Greg Hiller did the research and set up the group buy I believe. It sure seems like we could find enough people and then never have to buy Mg again Keep us posted.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 03/21/2005, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robthorn
yes I run magnesium pro in my reactor to suppliment my magnesium
What is magnesium pro, and who makes it?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 03/21/2005, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

magnesium pro is from germany we talked a lfs owner into ordering it for us. ichthyman is the store owner if you pm him I am sure he can help you out. I think we run like 10% magnesium in the reactor and it breaks down right along with the other media in the chamber. it seems to be working well I just moved and I want to be able to adjust my magnesium without cranking up the reactor and having to turn it back down or my calcium get higher than I want.
Old 03/22/2005, 06:52 AM
Reef Chemist

It would be magnesium carbonate if that is how it is used.
Old 03/22/2005, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

thank you very much randy I haven't added any in months since it lasts so long . I have only seen the bucket a couple times.
randy do you run a calcium reactor? do you run a magnesium supplement in it? what media do you run in it?
I just ordered the shuran media from aquatic eco systems do you have any experience with this product? any good or bads? will it work just as well as the other mainstream products?
I odered it for its size and price. I feel the water in the reactor will circulate better since the pieces are bigger and not so tightly packed. ???
Old 03/22/2005, 11:59 AM
Reef Chemist

randy do you run a calcium reactor?

I use limewater, and haven't typically needed to add much magnesium. The water changes that I do are generally enough, although I have added magnesium on occasion.
Old 03/22/2005, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

do you keep alot of mature sps? clams? or do you just do that many water changes? I am starting to get some decent size sps and they are sucking up alot of calcium and magnesium. alkalinity is always over 3 meq/l I also top off with kalk
Old 03/22/2005, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

ok I got the magnesium chloride source. right now he is working up shipping charges and will call me back. a 50lb bag is the smallest available. 16.42 per bag plus a $5 boxing charge because ups will not ship the bag I guess. I will give all other info when he calls me back in a few.
Old 03/22/2005, 12:55 PM
Reef Chemist

I do a fair amount of water changes, and have what I would describe as a medium calcium and alkalinity demand. Also, some corals use more magnesium than others, and I'm not sure where mine fall in the relative range.
Old 03/22/2005, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

gotcha randy thank you for all your help now my turn to return the favor to you and AL at www.harveysalt.com I talk to him and he is more than willing to ship 1 50lb bag or a hundred whatever you want. it cost me $39 and some change shipped to my house near tampa florida. he seems like a real good guy with alot of knowledge about the products he sells. he also carries the pelladow calcium chloride in 50lb bags and is more than happy to ship it to you at least in the united states.
I asked for his permission to post his name for single bag orders and he was more than happy to give it.
I ordered 1 bag today 30lb. is spoken for if anyone in my area needs any let me know and we can work something out
thanks again randy
Old 03/22/2005, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah this is the brand discribed earlier in this post made by dead sea works out of isreal I believe just ask for mag pellets
Old 03/22/2005, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
It would be magnesium carbonate if that is how it is used.
Randy,
Any suggestions on where to get the above? My supplier for other chemicals doesn't carry it.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 03/22/2005, 04:21 PM
Reef Chemist

I talk to him and he is more than willing to ship 1 50lb bag or a hundred whatever you want. it cost me $39 and some change shipped to my house near tampa florida.

What brand is it? Not all brands of magnesium chloride will be suitable. The only one that I know is is the one from Dead Sea Works, based on their purity data.

Any suggestions on where to get the above? My supplier for other chemicals doesn't carry it.

Not off hand. Home Depot may even sell a suitable product in the lawn lime section (they do have dolomite there), but I've not tested any for purity.
Old 03/22/2005, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

I just placed my order. I was told that Al was on vacation right now - I wonder if there was confusion about which Al. But I spoke with Jere who was very helpful. He wasn't able to finalize the order because the guy who handles the UPS shipping pricing had already left for the day. Jere will be giving me a call back tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how it goes.

He did confirm that this was from the Dead Sea as opposed to the Great Salt Lake. I'm not sure if this is the exact same product that the Boston club ordered but I'm getting some just the same.

Link to the page with the product: http://www.harveysalt.com/prod01.htm

If you're in the Orlando area and want to pick some up in Oviedo I'll be willing to split the cost on some of it.
Old 03/22/2005, 04:46 PM
Reef Chemist

That bag looks different. The Mag flake may be it, but it is hard to tell in the smal picture.