Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 09/02/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
I rest my case.

Your honor, may I please refer the jury to this specific thread started by the apparently confused individual above who is resting his non-existent case.

Seachem Reef Salt Numbers: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 09/02/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

hmmmm

the plot thickens lol this getting interesting lol Judge not least ye be judged.
Old 09/02/2007, 01:31 PM
Team RC Member

Old 09/02/2007, 01:38 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

It looks like the Judge thinks you guys are out of order Or maybe it is lunch time and he is just cracking a peanuts for the peanut gallery/jury............

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 09/02/2007, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Coral reef is local to me. I sent them an email and will go by next week.
Old 09/03/2007, 04:37 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HowardW
Your honor, may I please refer the jury to this specific thread started by the apparently confused individual above who is resting his non-existent case.

Seachem Reef Salt Numbers: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
I am, of course, referring to the fact that for months I've been trying to tell you your Seachem calcium kit was reading about 70 ppm low. BUT NO........you wouldnt believe me.

So you go out and order a special test from a company who specializes in testing with supposedly top shelf testing equipment (recalibrated every week IIRC ) and what results did you get ?

Your calcium is a heck of a lot higher than you thought it was, WHICH, I've been trying to tell you for months.

So what do you think of your Seachem test kit now ?
Old 09/03/2007, 09:53 AM

Case closed and there will be no appeal

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 09/03/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I'm really glad I ran across this thread. Being color blind it's always been very hard for me to test. I'm going to give aquariumwatertesting.com a try with the monthly plan.
Old 09/03/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I am, of course, referring to the fact that for months I've been trying to tell you your Seachem calcium kit was reading about 70 ppm low. BUT NO........you wouldnt believe me.

So you go out and order a special test from a company who specializes in testing with supposedly top shelf testing equipment (recalibrated every week IIRC ) and what results did you get ?

Your calcium is a heck of a lot higher than you thought it was, WHICH, I've been trying to tell you for months.

So what do you think of your Seachem test kit now ?

Ummm, pardon me....however I think you are still somewhat confused perhaps. If you refer back to your Seachem Salt test thread, you were the one who got a calcium reading up at 570 PPM and I replied that seemed way too high and said my reading came in at 470 PPM......and sure enough the lab service said my calcium tested at 464 PPM.

And let's not even get into your magnesium readings at over 1700 PPM.......

Billybeau, would you care to change your plea to 'temporary insanity' ?

......and now you've somehow brainwashed poor Boomer into siding with you
Old 09/03/2007, 12:44 PM

I'm not brain washed or siding with anyone at all. I'm just creating trouble and posting 'fun" posts with you two guys I never read any of your debates on the issue at hand

Old 09/03/2007, 01:03 PM
Team RC Member

Looking back, I did read your results wrong on the Ca++. I've been working a lot of hours lately and get a little fuzzy sometimes.

However, I did report in that thread that my mag kit was off. I got a new one and it is working just fine.

I'm wondering what the REAL specific gravity was of the water you sent to this company. Did they test that ?

I have an idea for you and me, Howard, but it'll have to wait a few days as I am working 16 hrs today. (It is Labor Day you know.)

Gotta love that double time and a half.
Old 09/03/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

<<< I'm wondering what the REAL specific gravity was of the water you sent to this company. Did they test that ? >>>

I don't believe they tested for SG, however the SG of the sample was what I keep all my tanks at, it was 1.0265 or extremely close......so that cannot be a factor in the calcium readings.

I suppose now you're going to ask how I calibrate my refractometer?
Old 09/03/2007, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Yes,..how do you calibrate your refractometer ???
Old 09/03/2007, 06:23 PM

Are you ready

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

Old 09/03/2007, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Oh i know that one Boomer

I read it in one sitting till 2 am one night,..i could barely keep my eyes open.

Was just hoping for a sweet and short answer from Howard,...but no, you have to come and crush my hopes

Addendum : After reading that article a while back, i decided to calibrate with RO water and just add 1.7 to the reading. Well the weird thing is, I use NSW water, and with my RO calibration, NSW checks at 35 ppt. Which is bizarre i think
Old 09/04/2007, 08:02 AM
Team RC Member

Mac, NSW is different around the world. It is not always a constant 1.0265

Some refract's can be calibrated with ro, but not many.

When in doubt, the Pinpoint 53mS calibration fluid is the best way to insure accuracy IMO.

Howard, no, I'm not going to ask you how you calibrate your refract. I think we've been though that already. I don't recall you getting any Pinpoint solution to test your refract. Have you yet ?
Old 09/04/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

<<< I don't recall you getting any Pinpoint solution to test your refract. Have you yet ? >>>

Yes, I even have 4 extra sealed bottles in case you run out, LOLOL.
Old 09/04/2007, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
Case closed and there will be no appeal
Ouch, tough crowd

Carlo
Old 09/04/2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Very interesting service. I would definitely try this out at some point. My only problem with this test is that my past experience is that 4 days is a long time to get back results, so this is not going to eliminate my need to have test kits. The second thing is that I would prefer if they dropped the Ammonia. Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate tests and replace them with some more of the exotic tests that can't easily be done by the home aquarist.
Old 09/04/2007, 04:47 PM

Billy

When in doubt, the Pinpoint 53mS calibration fluid is the best way to insure accuracy IMO

You gave that easy out to early for Mac. I wanted him to sweat it out some more.

Old 09/04/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

I think this is a really interesting service. From a marketing point of view IMO the people that will use the service are probably the upper 5% of the hobby. Very techie; excellent diagnosticians, etc. who would probably get similiar test results on their own. Is there any guaranteed accuracy to the results?
Old 09/05/2007, 12:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
Billy

When in doubt, the Pinpoint 53mS calibration fluid is the best way to insure accuracy IMO

You gave that easy out to early for Mac. I wanted him to sweat it out some more.

Now thats just silly : ) Of course i knew i could buy the calibration fluid.

I thought maybe i was on the verge of discovering some bit of hidden gem/knowledge

like : stare at the sun, turn around yourself real fast 5 times while holding the finger at your nose and stick the probe in your ear for accurate salinity check
Old 09/05/2007, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

You forgot the most important part. You have to turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE for it to work properly.
Old 09/06/2007, 10:46 AM
Full Time Tank Slave

Quote:
When in doubt, the Pinpoint 53mS calibration fluid is the best way to insure accuracy IMO.
Where would one purchase this fluid? Thanks
Old 09/08/2007, 12:15 AM
Team RC Member

The Filter guys carry it as do others.