Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 01/09/2008, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Seachem Marine buffer and quick chang in ph

This morning I added 5 g of Seachem's Marine Buffer to my 50 gallon tank. Before adding it, I tested the ph and it was around 7.9. After adding the buffer, it measured around 8.3 The time between my first test (ph 7.9) and my second test (8.3) was less than 10 minutes. I followed the directions on the container, "add 5 g for each 20 gallons. Dissolve in atl least one cup of freshwater." I only added one teaspoon, 5 g, and I saw this dramatic change in ph. Is this to be expected, and is it safe? Is there a preferred way to add Seachem buffer?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:21 PM
Reef Chemist

Buffers in general are a very poor choice for trying to raise or lower the pH of a reef aquarium because they do not solve the problem (excess CO2) for more than a day or so, and because continued use will boost alkalinity too high. The effect they do have is largely instantaneous, then declines as the tank equilibrates CO2 with the room air.

Seachem Marine Buffer is an especially poor choice for use in a reef aquarium as an alkalinity supplement (Seachem sells it for FO, not reefs) because it has a large amount of borate in it.

Very likely, the pH will again be low tomorrow, and the alkalinity may now be creeping up if you keep on using it.

Better ways to raise pH include more aeration with fresh air, the use of limewater, or the use of a balanced two part calcium and alkalinity supplement.

This article has more:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

and

The "How To" Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 3: pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php
Old 01/09/2008, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for the quick response Randy. I will not use the Seachem buffer again. I have C-Balance, two-part manufactured by Two Little Fishes, would that be preferable to use? My Ca is high, i.e. between 500 and 550. The alkalinity, is between 4 and 5 mEq/L. The ph ranges from 7.9 first thing in the morning to 8.4 or so in the afternoon. I don't have a reef tank per se, only anemones and a pair of clowns and one damsel, along with 3 turbo snails and one small reef hermit crab.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:46 PM
Reef Chemist

C-balance is a good calcium and alkalinity supplement, but may not raise the pH as much as B-ionic, and definitely not as much as limewater. In your case, I'd try limewater and more aeration with fresh air.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

I just read the link to your article on ph. A very good article, thank you. I suspect that high room CO2/insufficient aeration (even though there is a protein skimmer and lots of water flow) is the problem. I was adding the buffer not so much to raise the ph as to prevent the ph from varying so much from night to daytime. I thought by increasing the alkalinity, I would be able to keep the ph steady.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:27 PM
Reef Chemist

Thanks.

I probably wouldn't go much higher than the current 4-5 meq/L.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Okay, will shoot for no higher than that range. Thanks again.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:10 AM
Reef Chemist

You're welcome.

Good luck.