Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2004, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

are these's real im starting to go blind.

all of a sudden everyone has ppe's for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...309031385&rd=1
here is another
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...308904127&rd=1
i cant tell the difference anymore
can someone please tell me if these's are the real ppe's
thanks
got the zoanthid bug hehehehehe
Old 06/20/2004, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

I would say the first link is a ppe. But I'm not sure about the second link. Maybe it is just the picture not being taken by the same camara and lighting.
Old 06/20/2004, 11:08 PM
Moved On

I don't think either of those are the real thing. If you look at the true PPE pics, the tentacles are very short, more like paly's than zoos.
Old 06/21/2004, 10:18 AM
Majano Snob

I am the owner of the first auction. I am not trying to rip anyone off at all, from every photograph I have seen here on RC or otherwise my zoo's look the same to me. If you don't think they are by all means feel free to contact me for more pictures or information.

Here are a few photographs I pulled off of a search here on RC that seem to be accepted as the 'real deal' here in the RC community:

Here is an older picture of my mother colony that I have posted here on RC:

Here is another completly separate colony I have that is just like the second picture I posted

Here is a picture of what many people and I agree with are the 'look-a-like' PPE's that have the longer tentacles
Old 06/21/2004, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

CodeToad, the only thing I am crying about is I can't afford to bid against the guys that are willing to shell out that kind of money.
If I had Bill Gates money I would.
I want all the colors zoo's come in.
Old 06/21/2004, 10:36 AM
Majano Snob

mfinn: I know the feeling and I wish I had lots of frags of these guys to help out. I know when I was looking for them I was in the same boat you are. These guys just grow so slowly that the supply hasn't yet cought up to the demand. I had so many PM's and e-mails requesting frags of these guys the only fair way I could see to do it was via auction. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 06/21/2004, 11:23 AM
A. newbee

I have never used E-bay before but that first one is tempting me.
I have to have it....

Cam
Old 06/22/2004, 04:29 PM
10 & Over Club

The first one is real

The second one is fake; at least it looks like a picture of what " appears to be fake PPE zoanthids."
Old 06/23/2004, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

I agree the first one appears to be the real ones and it has a couple very nice pictures to back it up.

The second claims to be but I think they are just trying to make a buck from all the hype lately. They at least need to get some better pics, I doubt people will pay that much for a frag of those with such poor picture quality. The long tenticles dont help either.
Old 06/23/2004, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Doesn't help that the second one says this in the auction:

"For sale is a beautiful frag of what appears to be Purple People Eaters"

What appears to be? Funny stuff.
Old 06/27/2004, 03:00 AM
why can't i love???

man i would sell my dogs liver on the black market for the ones in the first pic.does anybody know what ocean they are coming out of?i would bet its the atlantic (they look like some blues i got from florida)
Old 06/27/2004, 03:08 AM
Moved On

check out the second post here and he says that they are look alikes.
Old 06/27/2004, 12:57 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

first is real...look just like mine, second is not.

I think they come from the atlantic as well, I got mine 2 years ago from my friend that had mostly atlantic stuff. no clue though...he does not even remember where he got them from.
Old 06/27/2004, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

The second auction is mine.

[
Quote:
The second one is fake; at least it looks like a picture of what " appears to be fake PPE zoanthids."
I was not 100% sure that they were real PPE thats why I said they appear to be. They are purple with a green skirt so to me they look like PPE. I left it up to the buyer to decide whether they are or not thats why I said they "appear to be" and thats why I also said "please bid at your own discretion."

Quote:
check out the second post here and he says that they are look alikes.
After many people e-mailed me telling me they were not real PPE I decided that they were look-alikes rather then the real things. Thats why I posted in the ORCA forum that I had look-alikes to trade or auction off at the meeting. If you notice, the ebay auction was started on 6/19 and the ORCA post was on 6/22.

If someone feels these are not PPE then do me a favor and dont bid on them. A few people out there felt they were worth the money (plus $50 for s/h) so they bid on them.