Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Stocking list and mixing large angels.

I'm in the process of developing my final stocking list and want at least 1 large angel for my 95% SPS tank, 5% being 1 large T. deresa.
72"x34"x25" 233 actual tank gallons, 300 gallon system.
Current inhabitants are

5" palani tang (A. blochii probably),
Two 3" yellow tangs
One 3" A. ocellaris

For the future I'm looking at 2 separate schools, probably glass (threadfin) cardinals and anthias. I plan on a decent number of fish, but nothing known to be overly aggressive. Mostly "fillers" basslets, a wrasse or two, and one other tang either blonde naso or A. pyroferus (if compatible with the palani)

Ideally I would like a pair of either Majestics or Imperators but that's probably out of the question. Next best thing would be one of each or a Red Sea Regal (or two). Can any of the two different angels be housed together in my tank? If so what order should they be introduced?

I know that any one of them is a risky proposition in itself as they are individuals and aren't guaranteed to be "reef safe". But worth the risk IMO for the impact they add.

TIA
CAReefer
Old 01/01/2008, 09:24 AM
TANK RAIDER!

tagging along as I'm planning my upgrade and will consider the same.
Sorry no suggestions here.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the bump gasman, doesn't look like we're getting much help tho.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

I would think your deresa would be dinner eventually with any of those choices. Most angels can't resist clam on the half shell.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

I've had large angels with clams (2" to 12") with only one issue. I had one occassion were they attacked a clam and ate it completely, but I think that one was dying as they left all the others alone and never touched them. Even the ones right next to it. That one had been looking a little troublesome the days before.

Regal should be first. Then Majestic and lastely the emperor. Emperors can be hit or miss on the aggression so just be carefull if you add it.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info LargeAngels. My deresa is nearing 15" and nearly 10" wide. Here it is front and center of my 6' tank

In your opinion, is my tank big enough for 3 angels to live peacefully together?

Thanks again
CAReefer
Old 01/03/2008, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

I would sick with two but three could work. I agree with the emperor going in last or if you could add the angels all at the same time would be best. If you do decide on the regal i would probably let it settle in for first for while before introducing the other angels. I would also cancel out the naso as it will get to big and giving the three angels you want as much room as possible for them. Another tang would work just in the smaller range. Great tank by the way!
Old 01/03/2008, 09:26 PM
Team RC Member

how long have you had that clam? it's gorgeous!
Old 01/04/2008, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Thanks yoboy, I was thinking along the same lines. I want to make sure the Regal is settle in for sure based on their poor success rate to begin with. I'll look around for another tang option.

LisaD, In looking back through my pics, the oldest one I have of the T. deresa is from May '01. Pretty close to when I got it. All of about 3" IIRC. Hard to believe it's even the same clam, but I assure you, it is.

Old 01/04/2008, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

CAreefer: If the emperor isn't too aggressive they should be able to live together. The emperor will need a longer tank if it reaches full size.

Sweet clam. Here is one of mine spawning.

Old 01/04/2008, 09:20 AM
Keeper of Tangs

the emperor might love the clam also.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

check out decembers tank of the month. that guy has many different angels large and small in it. i posted in his thread to ask what order he added the regal and majestic, also the powder blue and brown and achilies ill let you know when i get a response or you can check out his thread.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

If your angels are anything like mine, your clam will be a big expensive lunch.

I was lucky to have my Emperor, Blueface, and French in my reef for over a year till they decided to eat every last bit of $2000 of coral.

They are hit or miss. I would say the safer angels would be Regals, Goldflakes, Majestics.

Good luck
Old 01/04/2008, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

I don't have long term expirences to share. I cal tell you that I have introduced a pair of regals and a majestic in the last 6 months. My system is a SPS system to date none of the angles have touched any of my corals including Zoo's and a couple of LPS. I do not have clams in my system. I think a more challenging issue will be to get the fish acclaimated and eating while being harassed by your yellow tangs. That was my biggest problem. My yellow brutalized the angels for a solid week before leaving them alone. However they all got through it and now the yellow takes no notice of them. YOU MUST GET A HEALTHY SPECIMENT to START: I choose to do the regals first them the majestic. The regals were much tougher to get to eat. However now they are more agressive eaters then the majestic. I now have a total of 4 angels living together with no problem. I am upgrading my system to 300 gallons now..
Old 01/04/2008, 04:39 PM
Team RC Member

that's very cool. do you have a thread started on this? if not, could you do so, and include pics?