Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/14/2006, 06:01 PM
Registered Member.

Talking Newbie help PLZ. Setting up my 150 feedback PLZ

Hello everyone, This is my 1st Thread !!! Well I got a great deal on a 150 R/R drilled tank and couldnt pass it up. Im going to try and post some pictures of it and some of the equiptment it came with. The skimmer is a Aquatic Life Support System as well as the wet/dry.It also comes with a pump a kinda heavy one I might add!! Im going to buy the lighting for it, Im planning on having some cool stuff in it, like coral and those fingery thingys (dont know the names yet!!) etc. I saw a website and he is a member of this site also and he sells RO/DI filters and refugium systems. Im planning on getting both of them. The tank I bought came with a UV sterilizer or thats what I think it might be! The lighting im planning on getting is MH's probally from Coralife or if theres something better please let me know. I really dont want to do this twice!!. Im planning on also having about 200lbs each of LR and LS. Now I really dont know much on how to set up the equiptment, I am good at plumbing and cant wait to put it all together!!! But not to familiar on how to. So please send comment and questions my way, Im eager to learn!! Thanks all.[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Old 04/14/2006, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Its your first thread so
[welcome]

Before you get carried away, (I know the excitement is probably killing you) take some time and do a lot of reading. I can only assume you have been doing that. But just in case here are a couple of threads that will save you money and headache and might save some critters lives.

Good luck and please take you time.

Regards,

Pat

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=239848

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=550860

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=147010
2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (27 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 2 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH
Old 04/14/2006, 06:22 PM
Registered Member.

Yes Im pretty excited to get started but at the same time going to take it slooooow!!! I have been doing alot of reading and going to get started on those links ya just sent. Thanks for that. Im just trying to figure out how I can add photos to posts!!!
Old 04/14/2006, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Well first off just take it slow. This hobby can be very rewarding and it can be filled with heartache. Do your home work read read and read. I picked up some books from the lfs and read long befor I bought the tank. Check out this and other web sites and read the forums. You can learn alot just from doing that. Have fun and good luck.
Old 04/14/2006, 07:38 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by pmike25
Im just trying to figure out how I can add photos to posts!!!
One of the easiest ways is to upload your pictures to your gallery, then link them to your thread.

Here is a really good tutorial on resizing and linking pictures to your post.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 04/15/2006, 07:39 AM
Registered Member.

Old 04/15/2006, 07:47 AM
Registered Member.

Thumbs up

ahh ha I figured out how to post bigger pics on here!!!! Yeah, Ok now im going to take some pics of the tank and equiptment!! BRB..........
Old 04/15/2006, 07:58 AM
Registered Member.

OK this is the equiptment and tank. The equiptment ie. wet/dry and skimmer is a Aquatic Life System and Im not sure about the UV light and not sure either about the pump.

Old 04/15/2006, 08:01 AM
Registered Member.

And the reason for me learning how to post pics is due to Konadog , Thanks for helping me!!!

And also thanks so far to everyone else who posted on here, escpecially PatMayo, Thanks that is some helpful info, I printed all that out, not i have about 7" of reading material which I started last night!!!
Old 04/15/2006, 09:24 AM
Registered Member.

Does anyone have any feedback on this equiptment?, should I keep it or get rid of it?, Im going to go with a refugium for sure so the things im really interested in knowing about is the pump and skimmer and UV. Thanks
Old 04/15/2006, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

the tank looks good. as for the other equipment the pump is a mag 12 great pump for your return. the skimmer IMO you should upgrade and the UV you will prob. need to change the bulb however i wouldn't bother using it. they can be good but they take away bad bacteria but also the good bacteria. i would keep the sump you have for that purpose and add a fuge beside it. but otherwise looks good
Old 04/15/2006, 10:05 AM
Registered Member.

OK thanks for that info, That mag 12 pump do you have any clue the flow of it? It doesnt say anything on that label about it. The UV light ill sell than if I even can, not sure how hot of an item that is!!
I would like opinions on single or dual overflow R/R tanks, Ive read that a dual is good because if one gets clogged than no flood because of the other, but if you only have one and that clogs , well that = FLOOD, and I dont want that, so what I am thinking if thats a problem having 1 overflow, the LFS has a brand new glass 180 dual drilled RR tank thats only $471 for it, to me that seems pretty cheap. I got the 150 I have now for only 300 and it came with all that equiptment plus test kits and canopy stand and some other things, couldnt pass that deal up!! Worst comes to worst ill sell that tank and just get the 180 dual drilled tank if you guys and gals think its better off. I only want to do this once with NO mistakes!!! Ive been reading TONS of posts and articles and everyone says the same things take your time and only do it once so its doesnt cost a zillion dollars in the long run, not to mention messing up and killing alot of poor fish and creaters!! So for the last month thats what ive been doing, my poor printer is probally ready to jump out the window cause its been working overtime printing out hundreds of pages of much needed reading materials!! Thanks to all that have taking their time out already to help me and for all the ones about to take some time out and help me!!! THANKS
Old 04/15/2006, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

the mag 12 is 1200gph at 0 head. the uv light should sell, some ppl still use them. as for the dual overflow, they are good to have but ppl don't have alot of prob. with only 1 overflow along as you keep up on maintnance. and with a dual overflow you will get more flow and better surface skimming. so mainly a matter of what looks good to you. as you alos have to remember it will take up more room in the tank with dual overflows.
Old 04/15/2006, 10:54 AM
Registered Member.

True True!! OK well that helped me with that step. So the next step for me I guess would be to match up a refugium for the 150RR. Im trying to get one built from a guy who is a member of this site, ive seen his work and looks like he does excellent acrylic work, just hard getting in touch with him, hes a busy guy!!! After I get the refugium than I will consider what else I need in the stand and than build the stand to accomidate all the equiptment. So im up for suggestions on future equiptment I might need, Im going to go the theory of money is no object to have a correct setup, that means it just might take alittle longer to get things going, but im going to take my time, I have a 65 salt going now that will keep me occupied for now!!! Its just a basic setup due to me not knowing to much about reefs yet, but my brain is being filled with some good info.

As far as lighting, this is my plans. Ive seen the Coralife Pro MH's with the actinics and moons in it, Im thinking about getting the set up that has the 3 250watts MH's, this should be ok for a 150 tank I have right? The tank is 24or25" deep, that should be enough penetration right?
Old 04/15/2006, 10:57 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by pmike25
And the reason for me learning how to post pics is due to Konadog , Thanks for helping me!!!
Looks like I created a monster

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 04/15/2006, 11:01 AM
Registered Member.

LOL, are those pics too big??? Im just trying to let the people know whos reading this post what I have and what the stuff looks like!!! Sorry to all the 56k users!!!Probally takes awhile to load.

Stay tuned people PLEASE I just thought of something I want to ask about the 150 I have, its got instead of the plastic NON see through braces on top, it has pieces of glass, im going to take some pics now of it and post them in like 3 mins!!!!

BRB.....................................
Old 04/15/2006, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

for other equipmet i would suggest either an ASM or euroreef skimmer. you will need some flow in the tank so think about either a closed loop or have extra powerheads in your tank. you want a min. of 15x turnover and depending on what you want to keep could become more of 40x turnover. heaters (i would get 2 smaller heaters rather than 1) good test kits i am not sure what kits you already have. the lighting you have is a good fixture and should be fine for about anything. an RODI unit check out purlyh2o great systems and good prices and costomer service. a fuge which you already have planned. a refractometer to check salt (much better than a hydrometer) i would also suggest a pinpoint or milwalkee ph meter they work much better than test kits. a thermometer. hope that helps and if i think of more i will let you know.
Old 04/15/2006, 11:05 AM
TRC Leader

Mike, I wouldn't use any covers (plastic or glass) over the tank. You need it to be open to air for better gas exchange, and cooling (evaporation).

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 04/15/2006, 11:07 AM
Registered Member.

OK is this a option or does this come "stock" with some drilled tanks, I just want to know if this can be a potential future problem for me!!

Old 04/15/2006, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

not sure if they are an option or not but if your using a canopy i wouldn't even bother with the glass pieces as Ken said
Old 04/15/2006, 11:16 AM
Registered Member.

OK but if I take those out will that weaking the structure of the tank, ie the glass from all the pressure of the water against it? Because ive noticed every tank seems to have 1 or more braces at the top, or is that just for the glass tops

And Im not planning on using any kind of glass or plastic pieces on the top, I know that it slows the gas exchanges and dissapates the lights.

Thanks kau_cinta_ku for your info that did help with the equiptment choices

Also thanks to Konadog for replying about the tops, you guys are a great help...
Old 04/15/2006, 11:30 AM
TRC Leader

You don't want to take those braces out, they are there for support. I thought that you were talking about covers, not bracing. I had a center brace on my 100 gallon like that, just keep it clean, that's all you can do.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 04/15/2006, 11:38 AM
Registered Member.

OK thanks, yeah I should have wrote that out alittle better on what I was planning on doing as far as the tops go, NO tops for me!!! OK Im going to clean that tank and fill it up and leave it overnight to see if theres any issues with leakage. For some reason my brain is not letting this 180 dual drilled tank go to rest, to me its a really cheap price and all. Im really thinking of maybe getting it, only because its brand new and the silicone is new and everything else, I have no clue how old this 150 tank is, theres no tag at the bottom like most tanks have, it was either removed or never had one. Hmmmm what to do what to do, my poor wife, shes in the middle of all this and has NO clue what Im talking about when it comes to this!! I need to educate her alittle I think!!!

180 RR dual drilled BRANDY NEW or this 150 single drilled tank that I have no clue how old it is, that is the ???????? If I can just get past this milestone than I can move on to the next!!!!

What would you do?????LOL
Old 04/15/2006, 11:42 AM
Registered Member.

Haha the wifey just got on my case because I interupted her NASCAR veiwing about this tank!!!!! LOL OOPS

How can I sell her in this hobby!!!!!! She stares at the 65 like for 3 hours a day, she has some interest I think!!!
Old 04/15/2006, 02:54 PM
Registered Member.