Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2006, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Algae Problems

I was told that most algae problems occur fron low alkalinity. It high 12+ algae cannt thrive. Therefore, a good working CA reactor can help stabilize tank.

Is this true?

I can't seem to control algae. Now I have red burgundy algae everwhere
Old 02/03/2006, 03:58 AM
Registered Member

Re: Algae Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by fishnugget
[B]Is this true?
NO
I am 100% sure.
Old 02/03/2006, 06:01 AM
a Buffer fish

What helps algae to grow? Ill tell you. First you need to know theese:

Phosphate, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, silicate and iron. And light to fuel the chemical reaction so they can convert some of theese into food(sugar). Theese are the main things that all photosythetic organisms use. Reducing those to as close to zero as possible will slow their growth because there is less food available. Eventually they will die off. Much like a fish thats not fed, soon it starts to get sick, eventually it dies. Mostly if you remove 1 of theese 3, phosphates,silicates, nitrates they will stop growing. But if you remove silicate you wont get diatoms because they feed on it. If you remove phosphate, you will see less green type of algaes and reds. If you remove nitrate completely you will not see any algae, except maybee cyano. Wich can make its own nitrate from N2 gas dissolved in the water.

Where do phosphates come from? Well there are many sources. Mostly they come from organics that are not being removed by mechanical filters. Like how a skimmer removes the organics.By removing the organics you also export the phosphates with them. As well as nitrogen. Nitrogen leads to ammonia, nitrite and nitrates when the anerobic bacterial cycle takes place. Even phosphates that are bound to rock, can leach out and cause algae even though there is not any measureable phosphtaes in the water the algae are eating it as it comes out.

Sandbeds also can release phosphates if overburden with organics. The organics(dirt, fish poo, uneaten food) stuck under and on top of the bed will be a food source for bacteria. When one bacteria eats it it releases the phophates. Another eats it and releases nitrates. You get the idea.

Basically its all about removing(exporting) those organic particles. They are everywhere in your tank and its up to you to get them out. Trapped in the pore of live rock. Sitting on top of the sand, or under it. Leaving a mechanical foam sponge in the water.Dont remove organics and mother nature kicks in and algae grows and removes the left overs of rotting organics.The result is alot of algae.

Good luck
Old 02/03/2006, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

Then

Based on this, you would not have a DSB, corrEct? You would also have a denitrater for those of us who have a heavy fish load. Maybe an oversized skimmer? Phosphate reactor?

It seems to really enjoy the hobby, these pieces of equipment are necessary to make up for our desires to have a beautiful reef with fish. I was just hoping a simple fix would resolve my issuue.

Your comments are outstanding. Please answer my reply and address each piece of equipment.

Also, do you believe in refugiums? separate or as part of sump.

Thanks

Rich
Old 02/03/2006, 09:02 AM
Reef Chemist

I agree that low alkalinity does nothing except to decrease growth by corals that might otherwise take up some of the nutrients. Focus on nutrients themselves to deal with algae, especially phosphate.

I prefer skimming and growing macroalgae for nutrient export.

These articles may help:

Phosphorus: Algae’s Best Friend
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2002/chem.htm

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2003/chem.htm
Old 02/04/2006, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Looking to change

I have a ecosystem design sump without miracle mud. I developed red slime algae from the start even though I have had macro algae= chaeto. I want to be configure my sump. I was told that I would be better off having a berline style sump with a Separate refugium feeding back into return portion of sump.

I would have higher flow in sump and slower in refugium. I currently have had the refug lights which is part of the sump on 24/7. I was told to keep on only 12hr (reverse cycle of tank).

I would use a 10-15 gallon refugium. Do you think this would be better thatn an all in one? What do most SUCCESSFUL reefers like yourself do. What size sump for 210? Refug? Set up?
All this must go under my 72*24*42high stand. I am trying to eliminate the mistakes I have made in the past. Recently my entire tank got coated with red slime all over rocks. (burgundy sheets of algae)

Any suggestions?
Old 02/04/2006, 08:47 AM
Reef Chemist

Cyano is often best treated by increasing flow and reducing organics (in addition to reducing nutrients). Do you skim or use carbon?
Old 02/04/2006, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

both

both
Old 02/04/2006, 03:27 PM
Reef Chemist

Then perhaps skimming more is an option. Have you checked nitrate and phosphate? Growing macroalgae to export these nutrients is a good idea, IMO.