Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

Please help.. bannded cat shark..

My shark has been hatched for about a month and a half now.. is eating so so.. but i noticed today that his head has some bloody marks on it along with really bad redness/bloodmarks on his stomach. he is currently in a 100 BB rubbermaid untill his new tank gets completed.. what is causeing this what can i do to fix it? any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05/16/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Could it be possible since it is a BB plastic container, that he is scrapping his stomach along the bottom and bumping his head into the sides, equipment, really anything? I would think you would need a nice sandbed for the shark, something smooth. What size tank is he going into? Any other tanks mates?

Just a question, what is the latin name of your shark? I am looking for a true cat shark that only grows to 24" but everywhere I see selling cat sharks, the latin names are bamboos that grow to 36"? Where did you get yours? If you don't mind me asking, good luck with him too.
Old 05/16/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

mine is just and egg not sure of the latin name...

ya he could be getting scrached putting smooth sand in today or tomorrow for him.. also going in a 1000 gallon lagoon with lots of sea grass and macro.. will be in there with a yellow ray and thats it....
Old 05/16/2007, 08:09 PM
10 & Over Club

What kind of decor or rocks do you have in there? Also have you tested ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH recently?

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 05/16/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

there is two peices of live rock.. there is a lot of coraline in there.. could that be scratchin hime.. everythign but nitrates is ok.. i am starting to battle hi nitrates between 20 and 50 on a salifert kit. doing water changes and such but not really going down... memorial day weekend is the build weekend for the new set up... i just noticed how bad he was last night.. really red and bloody all over his stomach. and two small marks on the back of his head.. can nitrates cause this.. should i put him in another QT system to help get the nitrates to 0 in that system. my main reef is loosing all corals and everything.. having major issues for some weird reason.. lost all my corals to AEFW and treating two months ago.. starting to rebuild and now all of this... so sad..
Old 05/16/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Sharks are very sensitive to poor water quality, especially nitrates. I would definitely work on getting that down, it may not be what is causing the redness and bumps, but it definitely isn't helping. Sounds like he is hitting something or scratching something, hopefully he doesn't get infected, have you dewormed him?
Old 05/17/2007, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

what can i use to disinfect him??? have not dewormed.. what is the best medication to get..
Old 05/17/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I've treated sharks and rays with a combination of pimafix and melafix with excellent success. This will help to prevent infection.

I agree that a sandbed is important. Coraline algae is very rough and there can be shark edges. Good luck.
Old 05/17/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

adding sand tonight.. and going to get some medication this weekend.. thankms will keep you updated...
Old 05/17/2007, 07:39 PM
RC Sponsor

unfortunately, once they get to this stage, they usually don't last long.
Old 05/17/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

looking even worse... all over his body all the white strips have red marks.. what could have caused this infection???
Old 05/17/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Bro,we have a similar case here. One of the aquarists here had the same case too. He had sand and rocks. But it still had those redness.. I guess it's about your water parameters. I have one here in my 300gallon tank which is doing fine even though there's alot of LR's.
Old 05/18/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

put it outta its misery
Old 05/21/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

he passed...