Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/29/2006, 12:44 AM
Premium Member

yelow watchman/shimp with flame hawk

I was thinking about buying a yellow watchman gobie and a pistol shrimp for my 29 gallon tank after reading about the relationship that they have and thought it would be a nice addition to my tank, however I have a flame hawk in the tank and would like to know if the shrimp would be ok or if it is a bad choice. I have witnessed the flame hawk chasing around my clown fish a few time already. Do you guys think he is too aggressive for the shrimp?

Thanks
Vince
Old 09/29/2006, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Yep. I wouldn't put one with a shrimp.
10gal Cories/snails/Khuli Loach
10gal Empty
Old 09/29/2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

well imo, 29g is too small for a flame hawk anyways. But they're known to go after shrimp and smaller fish. But then again the pistol shrimp have that claw thing that pops...i saw on discovery chanel that its just for defence, but the bigger pistols actually use it to stun fish...they dont actually hit the fish, they just make that pop and i guess they say it breaks the sound berrier or something...thats pretty hard to do lol...but it then stunns the fish...

But imo, the reason the hawk is chasing the clown around is cuz its too small of a tank.
Old 09/29/2006, 10:46 AM
I <3 Fish.

A friend of mine told me he got rid of his flame hawk because it ate his shrimp...and he had them in a 90g.
Old 09/29/2006, 11:39 AM
RC Mod

I have a tiger pistol shrimp /watchman goby pair in a 5.5 gallon species tank and after observing their behavior I wouldn't have them in a community tank.

The shrimp tunnels everwhere and will use anything it can move as construction materials, including frags. If it can't move something on the substrate it will eventually bury it. And if your rock isn't firmly on the bottom of the tank there will possibly be a rock slid.

In addition they're very shy animals and with an aggressive tankmate you'd probably never see them.
Old 09/29/2006, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info i guess i will skip the watchman...i just thought it would be cool to watch. Any other ideas on tank mates for a 29 gallon that has 1 flame hawk and two clowns?
Old 09/29/2006, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

in a 29?
Old 09/29/2006, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

I have tried to have a few shrimp in the tank with my flame hawk. The second I put them in the water he is all over them. I would not recommend it at all.
Old 10/01/2006, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

so nobody has any suggestions on what to keep with the flame hawk and 2 clowns? there has to be something..